MAC pipes sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAC pipes sound

My header pipes on a GS650L are pretty rusty, and I'm considering a MAC system as it's about the only replacement available for this model. Those who run them, just wondering how is the sound level? I like to keep motors relatively quiet.

MAC has two versions of thier pipes. The "Standard Baffel", and the "Competition Baffel". The standard baffel is what I have. There is no packing, as it is a chambered muffler like a stock muffler, and it isn't supposed to require any jetting changes. I find my exhaust sounds nice, but not to loud. A little louder than a modern stock bike, but not as loud as a bike with a fiberglass packed aftermarket exhaust.

I have no idea what thier "Competivion Baffel" exhaust sounds like.

Comment

the competion has a nice aggressive sound to it, i have one on my 550. i have had lots of people say it sounds good.

-ryan
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik
        My header pipes on a GS650L are pretty rusty, and I'm considering a MAC system as it's about the only replacement available for this model. Those who run them, just wondering how is the sound level? I like to keep motors relatively quiet.
        are you thinking about the 4into 1 or standard pipes.I was thinking about ordering one of these too but dont want to rejet.I dont want loud pipes cause I have a stereo and would like to be able to hear it.

Comment

4 into ?

probably standard pipes, I like the look of twin mufflers. I know 4-into-1s make more power, but I don't really need that.

Comment

probably standard pipes, I like the look of twin mufflers. I know 4-into-1s make more power, but I don't really need that.
            I read a post on here the other day that the 4into 1 doesnt give you enough extra horse power to notice a difference.Having to mess with the jets is a guessing game unless you really know what your doing.Could be lots of trial and error.I also like the two pipe look.Those mac turnouts would look awfully nice on my bike I think!!!!!

Comment

I NEED a 4 into 4!

Comment

I read a post on here the other day that the 4into 1 doesnt give you enough extra horse power to notice a difference.
                It's not nessecarally the 4-1 that makes power, rather it's the increased jetting required to make it run at a good mix with said exhaust. A properly tuned high performance (read high flow) 4-1 with correct jetting will give you noticable power gains. Somewhere around 7-9 HP, which is significant. Keep in mind that back in the 80's MAC made true performance headers and pipes. Even the "Competition Baffle" is not a true high flow header and can like the V&H is.

That being said, please don't think I am trying to advocate 4-1 performance pipes and re-jetting at all. 100 % stock, your 650 probably makes about the same HP as a brand new stock EVO Harley, and produces more high end torque. I'd spend a month hunting EBay for a nice stock replacement, and if you come up with nothing get the MAC 4-2.

I NEED a 4 into 4!
                Now that would be nice, wouldn't it!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

MAC makes a 4-2 stock style exhaust that would keep the volume to a near stock quietness.

Comment

power

Originally posted by Jethro
                    100 % stock, your 650 probably makes about the same HP as a brand new stock EVO Harley, and produces more high end torque.
                    Lordy that sure puts things into perspective, dunnit? Plus the bike is probably 200 lb. lighter.

Comment

Lordy that sure puts things into perspective, dunnit? Plus the bike is probably 200 lb. lighter.

More like 300!

Typically a 4 into 2 will yield the best low to midrange throttle response. Swapping to a 4 into 1 you sacrafice a small amount of low to mid throttle response, BUT the gains are impressive mid to top end, as Jethro commented. If you try top slap on a 4 into 1 without rejetting, you bike will run horrible from overly lean studdering in the midrange. I have heard a few MAC canned and megaphone systems, and while they do have a subtile bark, it's respectively quiet to current "glass packed" removable core can systems. Heres my custom D&D can style system I fabbed for my GS1100. Let me tell you it has a MEAN racey bark to it. So when a Harley drag pipe clown gives me a full throttle "drive-by" HE is gonna' get one RIGHT BACK !!!:

Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Sure does! And I wonder who's payment is higher, the guy on the '06 Harley you just passed or you?
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Road_Clam

What all was involved in your custom exhaust, which looks 'sweet' btw.
                          What year/model header with year/model canister.

Thanks in advance
                          Mike

I have a MAC on my GS1150. Was not real happy with its fit and finish. And kinda thought it was 'cheesy' with no badge or markings (JUST BLACK). But it sounds nice, my bike was already jetted with K&N I would almost swear it preforms better than the V&H I took off the bike. I only took the V&H off because I wanted an "All Black" exhaust.

Ride safe and good luck - Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mlaalm
                            Road_Clam

What all was involved in your custom exhaust, which looks 'sweet' btw.
                            What year/model header with year/model canister.

Thanks in advance
                            Mike

Mike ,
                            Heres is exactly how I fabbed my D&D Exhaust, it has a GUTSY racey bark to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
                              MAC makes a 4-2 stock style exhaust that would keep the volume to a near stock quietness.
                              I have a MAC 4 into 2 on my 550 and its about 10 times louder than stock. I like it, but it ain't quiet. My 1000 w/stock exhaust is mute compared to the 550. \\/

Comment

Working...
                              X