Re-Tap or Helicoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-Tap or Helicoil

I Have a couple of bolts that have stripped out. I am wondering if I should use Helicoils or just re-tap the holes. All of the bolts are in the head. 2 are exhaust bolts and the other is one of the 4 bolts (position B) that hold the cam in place. What is the prefered method of correcting these problems.

The Beast

there was a guy talking about heely coiling the cam cap bolt and said it worked fine. may try looking up cam cap bolt stripped.

Comment

If the theads are stripped out, you cannot simply re-tap. You need to go to the next size then tap. The next size bolt (or stud) may require more rework on the mating part, so this complicates the issue again.

The simplest method is to helicoil it.

Comment

Heli-coil. Very easy to do. The kit is expensive. Probably about $40

Comment

Yeah, what everyone else said - Helicoil it!

Helicoils are much stronger, too, which will be very important for that cam cap bolt.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I trust heli coils. We used to use them at the nuke plant many years ago. We even used them in Class 1 safety related equipment. They are even stronger than the original bolt hole was. They can take a much higher torque loading. Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Check out http://www.aluminumrepair.com

There is a video on HTS-2000, which is quite intriguing, and it shows a number of repairs that are easy to do and which they claim are superior to more conventional methods. I haven't tried it yet (purchased some at the Chicago Motorcycle Show) but there are a number of testimonials from reputable sources that claim it works in situations where helicoils fail.

Worth considering...

Regards,

Comment

Keenserts

I have used all types of inserts. One type reccomended to me in the past to fix an Aluminum two stroke barrel was a keenserts. These require a little more machining to insert but are much more of a permanent fix than helicoils. The keensert is screwed in and then cold formed to lock into place. I did all of the cylinder head taps on my Suzuki T500 barrel and it worked out great.

Greg.

Comment

I ran into the same problem with a cam cap bolt. I re-tapped the hole with a standard rather than metric thread which required no drilling and no forcing of the tap. No problems so far.

Comment

Working...
                  X