No announcement yet.

80 GS1100E mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father used to have an auto repair shop. In the 60's and 70's, it was common for a shop to clean and test plugs.

The tester had a chamber that was connected to compressed air and had a window that allowed you to see the spark that was generated by the machine. It didn't take as much pressure as you would think to "Blow Out" the spark on a weak plug. I don't remember the exact PSI for this to happen, but I think that just over 100 PSI would cause a bad plug to fail.

A new, properly gapped plug would never fail. even at 150 PSI, which was as high as the compressor would go.

I think that your theory about the wires and caps is correct. Small micro-fractures in either could cause spark failure when the engine is running and not be so apparent when outside the engine at atmospheric pressure.

The wires on the Suzuki coils are metallic. My guess is that a Cap or the connection to the Cap is the problem.

I am running Accel coils with 8.8mm Stainless Steel core wires and no resistor Caps. I got tired of chasing ignition problems.

Get that beast running!

Comment

Ok, Busafied gets the prize. I replaced the caps and it didn't help. I pulled the carbs again and eyeballed the sync. They were way out. It just goes to show you that you need to double and then triple check everything, as I really thought I had gone through that step.

Anyway, runs good, sounds great. I love that pipe!

I ordered a Morgan carb tune today, so it should be in the following week. That will be just in time for Matt to start playing with it.

I'm off to Twentynine Palms next week to help him move back. He is going to be placed on IRR Thursday.

Comment

8)
        Glad it was something simple.

Here's a simple prcedure to get the bike at a starting point before you get your carb sticks..

"Pre-Synchronizing Carburetors"

Works for me, been using that method for awhile, first time I found it on the net.

hey ever think of using a tach like this?

Comment

Yea, that's basically how I do it. Like I said, somewhere in the assembly that step got skipped.

It's running great now. Very good throttle response, no noises (clutch basket, cam chain), and no leaks. I can't wait for the first test ride.

Comment

haha I was editing my post when you responded, checkout that link to the digi tach..

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
              I ordered a Morgan carb tune today, so it should be in the following week. That will be just in time for Matt to start playing with it.
              I hope so buddy. I ordered mine in time that their stated 5 to 8 day air mail shipping would put it here in time for me to use before the PA ride. I am still waiting on it. I am now getting into my third week waiting.

:x

Comment

Swanny is now a "guest"?

Hmmmmm........

Comment

Great. Now we don't even get to see Steve finish this.

:?

Comment

8O :?

Wow WTH?

SWANNY COME BACK MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone fetch the admin and get swanny back here..

Comment

Anybody heard from Swanny?

Comment

Have heard nothing

Comment

must have missed somethind here...what happened to 'swanny' ???..b.b. 8O

Comment

Wakey wakey...

Comment

Gotta move this up a bit.

Comment

I'll try posting a pic of the tank. When this was taken it was still being polished.

Comment

Working...
                                X