need more performence out of 750

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need more performence out of 750

I have a gs 750 1979 and i have put pods jetted it to 118 put a modified titanium bandit header, and some used monroe shocks, dyna s ignition with billit roader, accel coils and have lightened it a little. I would like to get my bike to hang with some crotch rockets, is this possible or am i being stupid. thanks have a good one

Originally posted by odl777
    I have a gs 750 1979 and i have put pods jetted it to 118 put a modified titanium bandit header, and some used monroe shocks, dyna s ignition with billit roader, accel coils and have lightened it a little. I would like to get my bike to hang with some crotch rockets, is this possible or am i being stupid. thanks have a good one
    I think your bike is a classic the way it is and is also in a class all by itself.Enjoy the nostalgia of the era in which it came from.If you want to "hang with crotch rockets"by a crotch rocket.Your bike is 27 years old, ride with pride! Got any pics, I would like to see it.I just purchased a 79 750L myself.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2006, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Spend your money and time on developing your riding skills and upgrading and tuning the suspension, not the engine.

Then lure the sportybike scum out to the twisty roads and have your way... bwahahahahaaaa!

When the road turns twisty, speed is determined by the rider's skill more than anything else. While not blessed with a modern bike's magical suspension and chassis, an old GS can be turned into a stable, predictable platform for a skilled rider. It's a lot more fun to lose the squids on an heavy, underpowered old GS than it would be on a bike comparable to theirs.

Any moron can twist a throttle.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

true but i get tired of getting no respect from the rocket scum they think my gs is just a piece of crap. I am also a teen and this is my first bike and i hate that no younger guys appreciate this great bike, but i do got it were i can hang with an older rocket a little better.
        I do focus on getting the suspension tight i have recently stiffened my front end and bought some rear performence shocks.

Comment

I have to agree - enjoy what you have. You've pretty much maxed out the performance that you can get from this bike, any more would be money poorly spent in my opinion. Today's crotchrockets are MUCH lighter (stock your 79 750 probably weighed in at 475??, new 750cc crotchrockets can't weigh much over 350, if that!). You've got 2 valves per cylinder, they've got 4. The engines are much, much lighter, and I have to believe that engine theory has come a long, long way since 1979. Your bike was made only 10 years after the very first in-line 4 cylinder motorcycle engine was introduced - and only 3 years after Suzuki started producing it! Suzuki and the rest of the Big-4 have had almost 40 years to tweak the design, to lighten every component, to use better materials, to experiment a lot more with cam configurations - things that just weren't possible in 1979. And the v-twin crotchrockets are another story all-together. Much more powerful bottom end and very torquey. I rode my 83 750 with a guy that had a new SV650 last summer - the guy made me look like I was chained to tree when we took off from stop-lights.

Now - that being said - there's one more thing you may want to play with next time a sprocket/chain change is due is to get a bigger rear sprocket or smaller front sprocket - or both. You'll be able to accelerate a bit quicker. But nothing too major.

And also - just realize that your 79 750 can still pretty much take any car on the road - from the 70's OR today.

Comment

keepin Up with the Jones...or the race rep guys, I know what your saying, I dont get much repect from these young guys, but it all changes when I show my ability on a bike thats twice the weight of there machines, im not pulling my own chain, I dont think Im a particularly talented rider, but alot these people get a new bike every year, and its more about what they have in there wallets than riding ability...
            ride what you have, enjoy it, dont let anyone tell you what you have is ****e, maybe if wanna improve the handling try a front and rear suspension upgrade, focus more on your ability as a rider, and know your limitations, and try to ride within them.

Comment

true, about all i still cant beleive these beasts are as fast as they are, i couldnt imagine this much speed in the 70's.
              with my bike i can usally take any v-twin but i havent raced a sv or anything. I have raced my brothers 883 2005 harley with a 1205 big bore kit highperformence ignition with performence cams. he said he couldnt even here his bike and it was neck and neck all the way to a 100. it was intense!

Comment

amen to you joe D. I wish i could find some guys to ride with in the new mexico area. with the same passion for these beast as us.

Comment

Just saw your most recent post - don't worry about the guys who think your GS is crap. Those are the younger guys who are probably struggling to make the payments on those bikes and ride way beyond their skill level - not really a good crowd to hang out with when you're learning.

You'll meet a lot more interesting people when you ride this classic GS and get approached at a gas station by someone who compliments it or used to own one.

You'll learn awesome riding skills too. Learn how to maneuver these bikes properly and a newer, lighter bike will flick around like a toy to you!

And these bikes have what crotchrockets don't - that old-school feel and old-school look. OLD SKOOL BIG DOG!! OLD SKOOL!! Ride it with pride! Hell- slap some lower bars on it, rig up a cafe fairing, get some leather and a pair of old-school goggles and ride it with an attitude brother!!

Comment

And these bikes have what crotchrockets don't - that old-school feel and old-school look. OLD SKOOL BIG DOG!! OLD SKOOL!! Ride it with pride! Hell- slap some lower bars on it, rig up a cafe fairing, get some leather and a pair of old-school goggles and ride it with an attitude brother!![/QUOTE]
                    Way ahead of you i have put soem cafe bars on it and even painted it myself like an oldskool cafe. Its a flat laquer black with a metalic gold racing stripe down the middle wtih two little pinstripes on the sid eof that. i also have recently got me some red barron goggles and an 80's leather jacket with a PJ1 racing patch on it. i love this bike i just wish more guys my age would appreciate it, maybe its because i never let them ride though either.

Comment

HA! I'm not kidding when I say this - you just made my frickin' day. I thought I was going to **** my pants when I read "red barron goggles". I just imagine you riding on some New Mexico desert road, crouched up hugging the tank with those goggles and the vintage jacket - peeking over the cafe fairing. I'm thinking maybe a scarf as well?? LOL! LOL!! You've got some real character my friend - this is awesome.

I'll tell you this much boss - if you ever ride that thing on up here to Ohio, you send me a PM. It would be an honor to ride with you. Tour the twisties of southern Ohio oldskool style.

I BEG you to post a pic of the beast.
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2006, 12:54 AM.

Comment

ill email some pics to you tonight but i dont know how to shrink my files small enough o post them. same with you if your ever in the nm area give me a shout.

Comment

heres a small pic

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

What a beautiful bike! Take pride in the fact that you've got a bike with character and style. The fact that the racer wannabes don't realize when they're being out-classed just makes them all the more pitiful. Speed isn't everything, especially on the street.

Comment

Working...
                              X