Advice needed on Improving the rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm working towards improving the handling of my GS (83 1100 ESD). I'm also looking to add more traction, so i'm looking to add a bigger rim, specifically one of an early 90's GSXR. My question is pretty straight forward:

What do i need for this. I'm getting my hands on the necessary rim, but will i need the caliper? Any advice would be great.

You'll need the caliper, rotor, and caliper hanger from the same model as the wheel. You may also need the sprocket carrier and spacers as well.

Comment

Thanks Billy.

One other thing. Can a 160 wide rear tire fit well on a 4.5" wheel?

thanks

Comment

Pretty sure you can fit a 160 no problem on a 4.5" wheel. I have run a 140 on my 2.5" rim.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Those buns of steel tapes worked really well for an ex gf. I would have kept her but she was pycho.

Comment

Need more infor

Originally posted by Jethro
            Pretty sure you can fit a 160 no problem on a 4.5" wheel. I have run a 140 on my 2.5" rim.
            Jehtro a 140 what and what namebrand. Also what are you running on the front? From what I have been told when you increase the rear tire one size above standard you need to increase the front one size as well. My 81 11 came with a 450 (old measurement) 350 stock set up. The next size up for both was 510 and 410 which I ran until the tires stopped being made in those sizes. Currently I have 130-80-17 and 100-90-19. Am I correct in that for a 140-80 I need to run a 110 up front if I could even fit a 140 on the stock rim?

Comment

Read my reply to katanarama's post.

Comment

I have a 4.5 GSXR rim and went with a 160/60ZR-17 Dunlop D202. Now, what are you going to do for the front end? =D

Comment

For my front end I went with a '95 GSXR 1100 unit which gives you the longest forks of all the gixer units available. Front wheel is from a '92 GSXR 750 with a 120/70/17 tire. Brakes are 6 piston Hayabusa units with braided steel lines off of the GS front end. I'm sure a similar setup with that 4.5 inch rear wheel will work just fine.

Comment

Jehtro a 140 what and what namebrand. Also what are you running on the front? From what I have been told when you increase the rear tire one size above standard you need to increase the front one size as well.
                    I wouldn't suggest it. I'll be going with stock from now on, even if it limits my choice of tire selection. I have Dunlops on there now, and the front is a 110, 10 over stock. The reason isn't handeling, rather the tire wear. Maybe I'll take a picture of the Dunlop I have on there now, and how it is wearing. The wider tires gets pinched a little and screws up the profile when you try and put it on such a skinny rim, causing the tire to wear a flat chicken strip sooner than you should. At least that has been my experience.

Metzler makes the stock sizes in ME33 and 55. I'll get them again, they stick real nice. Even if they wore out in 2500 miles.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm about the same as RJ GSXR1100 USD forks with 120/70 on a 3.5 front rim. I just won an 18 inch 3-spoke rear that is 4.5 inches wide that I will put a 160/60 radial to match the radial front. I was going to run the stock non-radial rear for a while but decided to go ahead and replace it.

ANYONE CURRENTLY RUNNING A RADIAL FRONT WITH A BIAS REAR, or have done it in the past? I would think the integrity of the newer non-radial tires would be better than in the older years?

I know it is one of those things your not suppose to do but I like the taller profile of the non-radial tires. Especially on older bikes like our GS's where you can't adjust the 'dogbones' to get more ride height when you go with lower profile rubber.

Thanks and Good Luck with your project
                      Mike
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-05-2006, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Indeed, I believe the 160 is the standard fitment for a 4.5 inch wheel.

Like Billy said, you want to get as much of a complete package as possible. If you have to get all the little bits separate (spacers, caliper and rotor bolts, etc.), it will be both a hassle and possibly more expensive.

Comment

Working...
                        X