Which coils shoul i use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which coils shoul i use

I have just bought three sets of coils for my 1979 gs 750. i have a dyna s ignition, i have two sets of dyna dc4-1 and dc8-1 the dc4-1 are 2 ohms and the dc8-1 are 5 ohms. i also have a set of accel coils that are 3 ohms that are for my bike, but they are used. Thanks for the help please let me know which will be the best.

Hi Odl777, I have 3 Ohm coils in service with the Dyna S ignition. Really don't know if it's ok to use higher or lower impedence coils though. Dyna recommends their 3 ohm coils with the S ignition. Sorry I can't give more insight. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

any insight is better than none. thanks for the reply, i have heared that the dyna 2 ohm coils can put out up to 3 ohms and the accel coils can put out to 5 ohm but i dont know for fact. thanks for the reply though

Comment

I would stick with what is supposed to go with your bike.... DC3-2 3 ohm green coils, or the crappy stock ones. 2 cents
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

The accels should be fine, too. Go with them.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

thanks for the advice i think i will go with the accel ones, unless anyone has any other opinions. thanks for the help.

Comment

With the Dyna-S ignition, it requires coils with a resistance around 3.0 ohms or higher. Running a lower resistance coil will cause the coil to overheat and eventually fail. Running a higher resistance coil will work - you just lose a small amount of spark intensity.

Comment

well sounds like you already have the info you need but i just looked it up in the book and dyna says you should use coils with a rating of three(3) ohms or higher.but i would listen to renobruce he just did his and it runs like a raped ape.hell even as big as i am it straight out flys with no prob.hope that was some help.have a good one and good luck getting that thing on the road.

steve(fatkid89704)

Comment

coils don't put out ohms. The ohms are a measured resistance. You should use what the recommended resistance is for max performance. More ohms is not like more torque or horse power. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X