Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spent most of the day searching archives, 750 fork swap???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spent most of the day searching archives, 750 fork swap???

Just want dual front brakes and a smoother ride, I know my stock '78 750 forks will feel like crap once the Ikons arrive on the back. Not looking for a major engineering feat here, just bolt on stuff from a later GS if that's possible.
    So what works, early eighties GS 750 forks? An entire GS1000 front end? 750E forks with an emulator? Someone on the forum must have been here and done this.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Originally posted by tkent02
    Just want dual front brakes and a smoother ride, I know my stock '78 750 forks will feel like crap once the Ikons arrive on the back. Not looking for a major engineering feat here, just bolt on stuff from a later GS if that's possible.
    So what works, early eighties GS 750 forks? An entire GS1000 front end? 750E forks with an emulator? Someone on the forum must have been here and done this.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    I had the same problem with my 550...I ended up writing my own thread.
    Do you know the diameter of the tubes and the
    overall length? If so, I may be able to help.

Comment

are you winning ?

just wondered ..im trying to do the same thing basicly to a 76 gs 750 have you had any success finding info ? what about the ball bearing vrs roller bearing issues ??? .thanks! emmy lou!

Comment

send Billy Ricks a message about this.
        he's done it and it looks great.
        I'm sure it handles great also
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Haven't gotten past looking on the internet yet...

There's a lot of information, just want to know what works before I start buying stuff.

Comment

I have a set of '82 1100E forks for sale on eBay, as well as a front wheel with excellent Bridgestone Battlax tire. It may be a direct bolt on deal. You would get twin disc brakes, Progressive Suspension springs, braided steel lines for the antidive. Nobody's bid on them yet so I can still pull them from the auction. Complete front end and tire/wheel combo (sorry fender is already sold) $130 plus shipping. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS110...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

RJ, are you getting my PMs??

I could use a few more pics and a few measurements,
              I have a few questions for you.
              Last edited by tkent02; 03-14-2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02
                There's a lot of information, just want to know what works before I start buying stuff.

GS1100 shocks will bolt right up. 1st and 2nd generation gsxr 750/1100 forks and such will work also. Most early 80's & late 70's suzukis had the same same steering head bearing sizes all around, so the front end is a bolt up. Rear suspension may take a bit of modding, but it is pretty minor if you retain dual rear shocks. I am bolting up gsxr stuff on my 82 1100E here in a couple weeks after all the new wheel and sterring head bearings show up! WOOHOO!!:-D
                Last edited by Cassius086; 03-18-2006, 10:29 PM.
                Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Hey, sorry I didn't get your PM's. The forks are already sold. It seems the 1100 forks would have bolted up, which means GSXR forks will bolt up as well, which is what I swapped onto my '82 1100E. Wow what a huge difference. I guarantee you will love the change on your bike if you decide to go that route. There are several posts that address the issue so I'm not going to re-invent the wheel here. One of the things usually not mentioned is the need to change the speedometer. Yours is calibrated for a much taller wheel/tire combo than a GSXR. I used a Bandit 400 instrument pod which worked out great. You may also consider swapping in a GS1100 swingarm that will accept a very wide tire and should bolt up to your frame with minimal/no fuss.

Comment

Few few words of caution from a 79 750 owner. The steering stem on a 77-79 750 is different than the newer, larger displacement GS models. The lower bearing (and the steering stem tube) is smaller in diameter than the newer bikes. The newer steering stem won't fit in your frame. Take a look at the parts fiches here http://www.alpha-sports.com/suzuki_parts.htm You'll see what I mean. If you're still unconvinced, I can send you pictures.
                    In order to make the swap work you can try one of the following:
                    1. Locate a set of 78-79 750e forks, rotors, calipers & master cylinder.
                    these will fit your existing steering stem. Your Rake & trail will stay the same.
                    2. Modify the steering stem from the larger, newer GS so it fits your frame.
                    (This can be done, I'm not sure if it's better to turn the stem down to size on a lathe or press your 750 stem into the newer yoke) Most larger/ newer GSes have shorter forks, so your rake & trail will change.
                    3. Find a set of tubes from another bike that are set up for dual discs, the same diameter & close in length.

Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X