Lookin for a 530 Chain/Sprockets for a GS550EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin for a 530 Chain/Sprockets for a GS550EF

Hey guys, any idea where I can get a 530 kit for my 85 GS550EF? I'm lookin to go either stock sprocket size, or the smallest increment to make my gearing taller (I wouldn't mind a bit of a change).

I'm in Canada, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any shops that have these parts?

I can find those parts....

The thought has crossed my mind for my 83 es.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I just ordered a conversion setup for my '78 GS750 from Z1 Enterprises yesterday. About $125 US for the chain and sprockets. I'll let you know how it works out when I do the installation on Saturday.

Comment

BJ, what sprockets did you get? I'm curious about replacing mine. thankzzzz

Comment

JT sprockets (JTR816 series) 47T Rear and (SS514 series) 18T front
          RK 116 link 'X' Ring chain

These sprockets should give me a slightly taller gearing than stock, I hope 100-200 less RPMs at highway speed.

Comment

Are those the same sprockets that will work for a 550? Damn... 125$ USD... gotta wait a couple of paychecks for that one

Comment

What is the advantage of going to a 530 chain?

Comment

Well I think the GS I have is stock 620 or something huge like that, and switching to a 520 or 530 (I would even prefer 520) can save almost 2 pounds on unsprung wait, which is a big difference...

Comment

Originally posted by phaeton
                  Are those the same sprockets that will work for a 550? Damn... 125$ USD... gotta wait a couple of paychecks for that one
                  I'm not sure of the part numbers for the 550. Z1 would definately be able to hook you up.

I think the main advantage to going with a 530 setup is weight loss. I wanted to change my gearing and have always heard that you should change sprockets and chain together so I figured this was a good time to switch from 630.

Comment

The benefits are:
                    • weight savings (more important than the physical weight is the fact it's reciprocating weight saving - and that translates into more power at the rear wheel).
                    • Cost savings - 530 chain is cheaper than 630 chain - you can get a 530 X-Ring chain for less than a 630 O-Ring chain.
                    • Variety - 530 chain comes in all different 'pretty' colors - want green? how about red? or gold?

Not much in the way of negatives - in theory the 530 chain has slightly less tensile strength than the 630 chain - but if a 180hp 'busa can run 530 chain - that's indicative of it's strength.

I recently put together an info page on the 630-530 conversion http://www.z1enterprises.com/referen...n630to530.aspx - as time permits I'll add to it and include the setups wanted for each bike. We've already created a separate section for each bike to show the 530 chain conversion option for those bikes running 630 (that we can get all the sprockets and chain for).

Comment

mbelan

I just bought the whole conversion from speed moto.$139.00 on e-bay.

Comment

Today I installed the sprockets and chain I got from Z1. No problems, other than getting the #%!!#$ master link on. Would have been easier if I had the right tool...doh!

I probably could have gone with a 114 link chain due to the 47 tooth rear sprocket but there's still plenty of adjustment room. It'll be interesting to see how much the gearing change effects crusing RPM.

Comment

Working...
                        X