Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing stock rear shocks on 82 GS1100E

Hello,
    I have acquired a pair of Showa rear shocks from a Honda CB 650 custom and was wondering if they will work on my 82 GS 1100E? They have the same fittings on the ends, but the Honda shocks are about 1 1/2 inches longer, will this cause a problem with the chain, etc??
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With the additional shock length, I wonder if those would push up your rear end too far...Raisng the rear too much on a bike that heavy could cause the bike too be more likely to push out the front in hard cornering without serious upgrades to the front suspension as well....?? (Help steering geometry guys!!)

I know for certain that the angle at which the shock mounts to the swing arm has got to stay the same...
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by mike82gs1100e
      Hello,
      I have acquired a pair of Showa rear shocks from a Honda CB 650 custom and was wondering if they will work on my 82 GS 1100E? They have the same fittings on the ends, but the Honda shocks are about 1 1/2 inches longer, will this cause a problem with the chain, etc??
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Raising the rear decreases the steering "rake" or angle. When this situation occurs, it can possibly cause excessive steering head shake.

Comment

I doubt the 1100 would have a problem, it's pretty lax stock, but it would make the bike handle quicker. If it handles too quick for you, you can always get a stabilizer. If you do decide to put them on, just be sure to take it easy while you get used to the differences.

You also may find that there isn't much difference at all, if the spring rate is softer on the new ones.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
          I doubt the 1100 would have a problem, it's pretty lax stock, but it would make the bike handle quicker. If it handles too quick for you, you can always get a stabilizer. If you do decide to put them on, just be sure to take it easy while you get used to the differences.

You also may find that there isn't much difference at all, if the spring rate is softer on the new ones.
          Considering the overall chassis geomatry of a GS1100, i'm sure you are most likely right. I just tossed my comment in as a generall rule.

Comment

Working...
          X