Camshaft machining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft machining?

Hi, I've got a 82 gs850l, I'm looking for a performance cam, I called a few places but all end up with nothing. And I am told there basically arnt any left around, and no one makes new ones. Is there machinists that I could send my cam in to and they machine it? would it be worth it? I'm basically looking for a little more performance and that "loap" of the drag rods(more durration and little higher loab). While itd be apart I'd get the head milled a little and possibly ported. Let me know what I can do. Also another idea is I know there are performance cams for 1000's all over the place, I could possiby get those machined to fit? If I took that rout possibly get an 1000 16 v head to fit mine? I think I heard the oil passages are diffrent. But if the bolt holes and combustion chambers would fit, I think it'd be a possibility... Thanks-darren

It could be possible that GS1000 2-valve camshafts fit your 850 head perfectly but I've never heard of anybody trying. I you take some vital measurements off your 850 cams I will measure the set of 1000 cams I have lying here. Just maybe stock 1000 cams are hotter then 850 cams??? Another option are 750 2-v cams.

Bolt holes on the 16V are different and the indentations in your pistons clash with the valves.

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
      It could be possible that GS1000 2-valve camshafts fit your 850 head perfectly but I've never heard of anybody trying. I you take some vital measurements off your 850 cams I will measure the set of 1000 cams I have lying here. Just maybe stock 1000 cams are hotter then 850 cams??? Another option are 750 2-v cams.

Bolt holes on the 16V are different and the indentations in your pistons clash with the valves.
      hmm good point on the piston thing. The specs would be greatly appreciated also, but I cant do specs on my stock cam, hence its together. i dont really want to rip it apart and get them out to find out they wont work. I was looking on ebay at pictures of each and they do look very similar.. but nothing less than a micrometer would show the truth. Maybe I can get one of the sellers on ebay to give me some stats. Let me know, Thanks very much!-darren

Comment

For more engine performance in an 850G, you're best advised to find an 1000G or 1100G engine and drop it in. Or sell it and get your giggles from a chain drive 1100 or 1150.

Anything is possible with enough money and machining, of course. But you'd pretty much be the first one down the path to a hotrod 850G.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well, that's not entirely true!!

I am building a 78 gs750 using the top end (cylinders & pistons) from a 850. They fit with a little grinding from my Dremel. I used the 850 parts for the boost in cc's as well as the ability to use newer cv carbs.
          Besides, any engine will respond to basis hot rodding methods. My head will get a street port job as well as rejetting the carbs, running pods & a pipe. This boost in power will be accompanied by a much lighter gsxr front end & swing arm. So don't get discouraged by the lack of performance cams for your 850. Do what I'm doing & optimize the parts you do have.

The 750 & 850 cams I have are identical right down to the letters on them so I don't think there's any difference.

Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Thanks very much for the encouragement. nasty jones, that sounds like an awesome project. I will say though I have heard bad things by putting pods on the 850 top end. I guess they say if you dont have the airbox, the flow of air will create flat spots all over the powerband and jetting an issue, I have the stock airbox with a unifilter and the little rubber stack took off, I kind of have jetting issues but it runs great. I'd recommend the same. I'm getting specs from a guy on ebay soon, sounds like it might just work out though. Keep the opinions coming in!thx-darren

Comment

Web Cam or Megacycle c an weld your cams up and grind any profile on them that you want. Then use a set of APE valve springs for the Kawasaki 900 and you are all set.

Jay
              Speed Merchant
              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                For more engine performance in an 850G, you're best advised to find an 1000G or 1100G engine and drop it in. Or sell it and get your giggles from a chain drive 1100 or 1150.

Anything is possible with enough money and machining, of course. But you'd pretty much be the first one down the path to a hotrod 850G.
                There is a Dutch guy turboíng and injecting his 850 :-D

Comment

Well I got the dimentions for the stock 850 cam. Attaches is the specs. I got them from an awesome fella on ebay. Gotta love nice people:-D .-darren
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay
                    Web Cam or Megacycle c an weld your cams up and grind any profile on them that you want. Then use a set of APE valve springs for the Kawasaki 900 and you are all set.

Jay
                    Which year kawi 900? Would I also need retainers, ext.? thanks!-darren
                    ps- I see you work for APE(location), would I be able to buy them through you so I know I am getting the right ones for sure? thanks

Comment

Looks like a match but also in lift height. :?

Comment

Very intresting, thank goodness I didnt buy a stock cam today off ebay, I took a risk(didnt know if it'd fit yet) and got a performance set of cams, for 52$ for the set! Hopefully she'll bolt right up, maybe then also I can get the head milled a tad. Just as long as theres enough clearance between the piston and valves, how much clearance does there have to be? Thanks very much for checking them out for me robinjo! Still awaiting the reply on the APE valve spings though. This site rocks.\\/ -darren

Comment

Part # VS900K. We are out right now, but we expect them any day. A little tight fit on your spring base and retainers, but they will fit.

Jay
                          Speed Merchant
                          http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                          X