Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keihin cr or mikuni rs?

Hey guys,my first post ,but I've been watching for months.I've been putting
    off tearing the bike down for improvements until I score a set of carbs.I'm looking for rs38's.I've got a 821100ez.I've been gathering parts like a V&H 1327 block & 10-1 pistons,pro-pipe,530 conversion,etc.The last 100 or so bids that I made on e-bay for rs' ,seem to always get shot down by some guy who wants to pay 1.00 more for them at the last two seconds!The question is ,how about using keihin fcr or cr in place of the rs'.They seem to be easier? to come by.Are fcr's tilted for gsxr motors? Are cr's for our motors?
    Who knows the answers?Thanks

You can run CR's but the RS's are supposedly easier to tune. My RS34's really perked up my bike. Not sure about the FCR's but they probably are intended for the newer engines with slanted blocks and heads. You could end up with fuel level problems in the bowls with the FCR's.

Comment

Thanks Billy ,I'm trying more for the miks anyway....

Comment

The FCR's are definitely downdraft carbs so rule them out.

Comment

Just gave my self the lucky dog award a set of 40's for $150

Comment

CR's will take forever to synch with a set of gauges, as you have to pull off the top of the carbs to get at the assembly to set the slides; RS's are set up like CV's with respect to the synch screws and such. Mikuni RS smoothbores(according to the performance enhancement section in my old clymer's manual for my gs750) will actually improve power (10%-12% gain throughout the powerband), AND improve fuel mileage (3-5mpg)---done by going from 29mm cv carbs to 29mm smoothbores...but I have yet to test that theory. Saving for a set of 36mm RS's from GSZone for my 1100EZ... 34mm, 36mm, 38mm RS's are $715.00 from APE/GSZone.
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by checkerflag
              Just gave my self the lucky dog award a set of 40's for $150
              You beat me . I bought my RS's a couple of months back for 200 clams. Great carbs.

Comment

I am running with a CR 37mm carbs with the stock air box, and stock engine and with aftermarket exhaust pipe and K&N filter.
                I syn the carbs by myself with the 4 gauges. Yes, it do take time to do it, about 2 to 4 hours each time.
                I am now running with 110 main and 50 slow, middle size needle with one clip down.
                It is fine and good, especially the low end. I can ride up hill with 2k rmp to 3k rmp at 3rd gear. I also can hit 110 mph sometime on a straight road.
                But I think a 35mm CR is the best for stock Gs1100.
                Addy

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086
                  ...RS's are set up like CV's with respect to the synch screws and such...
                  Not mine, I have to pull the tops off my RS flatslides and tinker with a cam type adjuster for synching which pretty much means pulling the carbs. A real pain in the arse if you plan on synching with guages. All I do is bench synch them and forget it. These carbs aren't made for low end stuff anyway where synching makes the most difference.

Comment

Hmph...seems I have been told incorrectly. I owned a set of CR's, and was told the RS Mikuni's were different--could be synched like regular carbs. Since you own a set of them...I stand corrected. Thank you, cause I don't like pasing on false info, especially when I don't even know I am doing it!
                    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Try some 38mm cv carbs off an old gsxr 750. They work great too, even with oem throttle cable. Open exhaust, pods and 150 main and your flying.
                      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Actually there are a few guys here in the GS forum that have done the "Slingshot" carb switch and seem to be quite pleased with the performance. If I wouldn't have came up with my RS's that was the way I was going to go. Do a search and I'm sure you can see a few threads from when some of the guys were switching. The beauty of a vacuum operated carb is that they are very forgiving to the point that if the engine doesn't want more volume the carb won't deliver it. Mechanical carbs tend to force feed an engine. But if your engine is hungry...........

Comment

Keihin Cr's

Anyone know where Keihin Cr's re available from new?

Comment

Keihin Cr's

Anyone know where Keihin Cr's are available from new?

Comment

Sudco and Carb Parts Warehouse both have them.
                              http://www.sudco.com/
                              http://www.carbparts.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X