Ring Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ring Problems

I just but a 1166 kit in my 1980 1100ET. When checking the ring gap I went a little over the required gap size. The first ring needed to be set to .012 and the second ring needed to be .015. When fileing the second or middle ring I went a little over the .015 and ended up with 2 of the rings being .018. The first or top ring is perfect at .012. Will this cause me any problems. I am not dragging it so will it be O.K. or will I see problems because of this.

The Beast

What is the spec for ring end gap. It's not 0.015. There should be a tolerance. (lower limit - upper limit)

Just for the record, I've never had to set the ring gap. If you get the correct rings and the cylinders are bored correctly, then you should be good to go. Did you check the piston to cylinder clearance? Something seems odd to me.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2006, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I just spoke with J and E Pistons and they said that I am with in the tolerances for the work I have done. Thanks for your help.

The Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy Creek Beast
        I just spoke with J and E Pistons and they said that I am with in the tolerances for the work I have done. Thanks for your help.

The Beast
        Ring gap should always be checked. I have had to set the gap on more rings than I can count.

Comment

Working...
        X