Gsx 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gsx 1100

Posted this in the wrong area first time, so here we go again.

Finally got myself an 1100 to go with my other GS bikes. OK, its not a true GSX 1100 as its a 1100 in a 750 frame but I am happy with it so far. Runs well etc a charging problem but that can be sorted. Its a bit tatty but I am going to use it and refurb as I go.
    Question.
    I want to fit a box section swinging arm so what are my options ? Should I go for something standard or look at aftermarket ? The end look I want is flat bars, rearsets, cut down seat, etc. Reason ? I raced one in the early 80's and like all of us want to be a teenager again !

\\/

So I will repeat my Questions. what year, where are the pics? etc.
    Dink

Comment

Take a look at this thread.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=katman

And this one.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ghlight=katman

Probably the two best threads on what you want to do.

Comment

Just for Dink

No need to repeat the questions as you did'nt ask them.
        For the record - 1980 gsx 750 frame with 1980 gsx 1100 motor. Cost was 400 euros, new rear Battleaxe fitted, Krauser panniers, thrown in with the deal new chain and sprocket set ( D.I.D. ), 4x sets of brake pads - new in boxes, spare set of new cables, spare master cylinder for front with good lever, spare set of bulbs and full tank of gas. So I am happy so far with the deal.
        As you can see by the picture it is a bit rough and the paint job was done by Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder. Somehow they missed the fork brace with the white paint !

Comment

Thanks for the pic John!!:-D it certainly will ba an excellent base for superbike replica. The 80-81 1100 motor was the most powerful of them, before pollution regs. hit em.
          Dink

Comment

Dink

Well I am chuffed with it as all the bits are there that I need apart from a swing arm.
            You can see what I mean by tatty I hope. Timescale for the work is around 3 months as I still want to use it for work transport then when all the bits are in place I will take a week off work to finish it - I hope !

I will keep photo's comming of work in progress.

Engine tuning willhave to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
              The 80-81 1100 motor was the most powerful of them, before pollution regs. hit em.
              Dink
              How so? They seem to have the same claimed bhp as the '82's. I think the ED ('83) got a few more horses due to more aggressive cams and improved airbox design. Just curious .

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                How so? They seem to have the same claimed bhp as the '82's. I think the ED ('83) got a few more horses due to more aggressive cams and improved airbox design. Just curious .

Tony.
                As I recall, the 81-82 was recorded at 99bhp at the crank, and the 83 was listed at 108 bhp at the crank. This is the US model specs, and I'm just going by what I have been told.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

In Oz despite a "claimed" increase in HP, the 81 consistently produced more HP on dyno tests; may be due to our pollution regs.
                  Dink

Comment

Actually the stock cams for the 1100 Suzuki's are the same from 80' thru 83' all designations. Even the 1150's in 84'-85' had the same lift. .284. The only thing that changes is the cam timing. In 83' suzuki welded the crankshaft throws because the motor was twisting cranks now that its potential was boosted with TSCC. This allowed the redline to be advanced 500 RPM. An 83' tach has a 9500 RPM redline. They bumped the carb main jets to 112.5 from a 107.5 and poof!! ten more horse than 82'. My Factory service manual shows 80-81'=98hp,82=107hp and 83 at 117hp.

Comment

Hmmm..... I have read here that the 1150 cams were a 'drop in' performance upgrade for the 1100's.....not sure what the figures are for lift/duration, but I assumed they are different from the 1100's (more aggressive)....maybe Earl might care to comment (as he owns/ works on both bikes).

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

When I researched the cam swap I did last year I looked at the specs before I tried the 1150 cam swap. I found Journal daimeters are different in some 1150's (later) and the 1150's dont have a tach drive. (1150's have an electric tach) Lift and duration are the same and only the timing was a bit different.

Comment

So, what cams are ya running now?

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Comment

update

OK then I have sorted the swing arm part of things. I missed one on flea bay as it went for silly money considering the state of it. Made a few calls to people and I have a set of drawings for one so I will take that route. So its looking like I will build an ally one. However as my trade is composite engineer the drawings will also be going into the r+d department at work to see what can be done in carbon.
                            Reading more into things that I can do I think I will just collect stuff during the year and spend the winter doing something better than I had originally decided.
                            Digging through my shed/workshop/garage areas it seems I had more than I remembered so upgrade to the braking area will be Lockheed with a pair of Astralites I did not realise I had still got - how do you collect all this stuff ?
                            So in for a penny in for a pound I might just as well do the motor while I am at it.
                            I want to keep it simple realy, cams, carbs ( I have Lectrons 36 flat slde any use ? ) and a decent pipe to go with a head job. What is the most sensible overbore I can go for without realy stressing the motor ? Oh and I found an oil cooler brand new still in its box so that will have to be incorporated.
                            Why do we allways buy a bike to just use and then it turns into a 'project' ?

Comment

This sounds like a cool thread.:-D Nice base for a project.

Comment

Working...
                              X