Crank case air filter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank case air filter.

I am useing the original air box with a K&N high flow air filter on my GS1100 E with a 1166 kit and a stage 1 jet kit. I am not happy with the hose that runs between the air box and my valve cover. If I replaced the hose with a individule crank case air filter would it be ok or will it cause problems.

The Beast

me to

Heyyyyyyy I changed from my stock air box on a 1980 GS1000G to pods and had not given any thought about what to do with the vent tube. I also could use some help[-o<

Comment

You could just run a hose out past the edge of the rear fender so you don't get the oily mess on other parts of the bike. There are catch bottles you can make or buy to catch the oil as well.

Comment

after using a couple of different filters (they seemed to show the smoke more when the enginge gets hot) I found running a straight hose down by the battery vent tube seems to be the cleanest setup .And now the light smoke seems gone!!

Comment

Here's what I did. The reservoir is a rear shock dust cover. A hard days riding can collect about a 1/4" of soup. So I put a small folded napkin at the bottom and there's no way to splash out. The napkin generally dries out by itself but I sometimes just put a fresh one in every once in awhile. It's hidden and keeps the bike and floor clean too.

And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Extra nice mod. Thanks for the photo. Your post also tells us how important it is for oil to heat up enough to boil off moisture.

I just noticed it was you Keith. I should have suspected you because you are a fussy ass about working on your machinery lol

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
              Extra nice mod. Thanks for the photo. Your post also tells us how important it is for oil to heat up enough to boil off moisture.

I just noticed it was you Keith. I should have suspected you because you are a fussy ass about working on your machinery lol
              I guess I am fussy. It's an illness I guess.
              This mod works for me. If a longer line is routed out the rear, any dip in the line will collect a lot of discharge before it gets spit out. And with the line filled at the low spot, that's not very good crankcase venting either.
              A shorter line draining to the ground generally works but can make a mess. It also can get some discharge on the rear tire, depending on its location.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I also still have the stock setup, but havent really taken notice of many ill-affects. what are the pros and cons of this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Poot
                  I also still have the stock setup, but havent really taken notice of many ill-affects. what are the pros and cons of this thing?
                  No ill effects with the stock airbox and breather hose that I know of. I guess Boozy just doesn't prefer the stock set up, so he wants some other ideas.

Comment

I was checking out E-bay and they were selling a couple of Crank Case Air filters. My bike runs fine but I thought they might help. No other reason.

The Beast

Comment

Breather Filter Info...

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                      No ill effects with the stock airbox and breather hose that I know of. I guess Boozy just doesn't prefer the stock set up, so he wants some other ideas.
                      Hi Keith, nice setup, i'm thinking of doing the same. Do you have exact filter info? If its K&N what part number should I search for? If not K&N I guess measurements would be handy (3/8" inlet for hose fitting?) just guessing? Any help would be appreciated.

==================================================
                      1979 GS1000E

"NEVER MESS WITH A GS"
                      "The less you know, the more you believe."
                      "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by mkaczmarek
                        Hi Keith, nice setup, i'm thinking of doing the same. Do you have exact filter info? If its K&N what part number should I search for? If not K&N I guess measurements would be handy (3/8" inlet for hose fitting?) just guessing? Any help would be appreciated.
                        Yes, it's a K&N chrome breather filter, requires oiling before installing. Part number on the back says B020A4. Both the filter and my bikes breather fitting are 3/8".
                        If that number doesn't help, I'll try to look through my receipts if they use a different number, but that one will probably work. The hose is 3/8" I.D. of course. At the engine end, I used a plastic tie to be sure of a snug fit.
                        This is the one case where I don't think the filter really has to be any specific brand name. Any breather filter should do the job well enough. I forget how the K&N price compares to cheaper brands, but it wasn't that expensive.
                        I DO recommend K&N air filters though, over cheaper brands. You get what you pay for.

Comment

I just checked the K&N Website, that number doesn't seem to work, I tried to put in O instead of 0 (zeros), in various combinations etc, with no luck. If you get a chance to find that number I would appreciate it.

I have been using K&N filters in my cars for years and have it in my GS as well. They do work great and in some cases the difference is quite noticeable. I had an old Mazda 626 with a carb (not fuel injected), and when I threw in the K&N the engine seemed to run much smoother especially in the high end and seemed quieter too, ever since I put K&N's into all my vehicles.

Your bike looks amazing, its a '79 GS1000E right? Thats my exact model as well. I got mine with a black/tinted Cafe Fairing, and the straight(er)/lower handle bars, but all striping is the same. Quick question, did you drill the original solid rotors or did you get new drilled ones?

Thanks in advance.

==================================================
                          1979 GS1000E

"NEVER MESS WITH A GS"
                          "The less you know, the more you believe."
                          "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

I bought this catch can on ebay and ran a hose to the tail with a single filter. I bought a pack of 6 filters actually so if anyone needs any they can have one for 5 bucks plus shipping.

Last edited by katman; 04-20-2006, 02:45 AM.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

I have the same exact hose and K&N filter setup that Keith has except mine just lays on top and between my #2 & #3 PODs. Any vented gases go right back in through the POD filters. I have noticed no extra mess at all anywhere doing it this way. Not even on the PODs. Any mess that may ever build there isn't getting a chance I guess because I clean the PODs regularly. Keith's setup looks better. I like the collector idea. I am going to do something like that.
                              Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2006, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X