No announcement yet.

Crank case air filter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only nutbag who didn't run with a filter???

The engine breathes OUT that tube every time I ever checked it, and if it ever was to need to inhale, as long as i'm not riding through a sandstorm, it'll be okay.

My 1100 has the stock airbox still, so I assume the vent is into the airbox on it. On my old 550 I just ran a longer piece of hose to the rear of the engine, let it vent there.

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by mkaczmarek
      I just checked the K&N Website, that number doesn't seem to work, I tried to put in O instead of 0 (zeros), in various combinations etc, with no luck. If you get a chance to find that number I would appreciate it.

Your bike looks amazing, its a '79 GS1000E right? Thats my exact model as well. I got mine with a black/tinted Cafe Fairing, and the straight(er)/lower handle bars, but all striping is the same. Quick question, did you drill the original solid rotors or did you get new drilled ones?
      Ok. Looked up my receipt from 6 years ago. Says...KNN 62-1000, under the description... 3/8 vent filter. Don't know why the extra "N", maybe a typo? $19.95 back then.
      I had a local shop drill the rotors. About $60/ea back then. The front were in great shape/good thickness. I had to buy a new rear one though because of galling (deep grooves). I like the way they came out. The shop called the holes a "2-3-2" pattern. Besides looking kinda cool, they eliminate galling and minimize any squeal. The rotors are supposed to run cooler and dry faster if you're in the rain. As for any galling, you still need to be aware if you hear something sticking to a pad or notice a groove because of something sticking to a pad. This is minimized because the sharp edged holes actually help scrape away most debris before it becomes a problem. The important thing is to NOT de-burr the holes. Many people think a hole has to be de-burred as a fact of life. De-burring will greatly compromise the cleaning action/water shedding ability the sharp edges allow. If you use a very sharp cobalt (or better?) bit, you won't have burrs in the first place. Also, a sharp bit is needed to avoid any warpage of the rotor.
      Thanks for the compliment on my bike. That's my baby there.:-D Yes, it's a '79 GS1000E. Bought her new for my 23rd birthday. 130,000 miles so far, though I did have the engine built by V&H at 106,000. Didn't need to rebuild it yet but I had the extra money and the timing was right for a ground up re-do.
      I like the smaller fairings and lower bars too. I agree it looks better. But I'm just so comfortable with the stock bars that I put that before styling. And the small fairing doesn't look right with the stock/higher bars, so it's both or neither. I am planning on slimming and re-shaping the seat one of these days though. But again, the stock "slab" is SOOO comfortable I'm afraid to mess with it. But I'll have a local shop cut it down some and have a denser foam to replace that part and hopefully I'll lose about 1" of material but still have the same comfort. I use my bike for the majority of my commuting so I'm afraid to mess with comfort. I'm one of the few of my friends who doesn't complain about their back or behind after a days riding.
      If I can ever find a new bike I really like, I plan to "semi-retire" my bike as a weekend rider and I may then go with lower bars and a small fairing. Comfort won't be quite as much an issue then, but I don't know. I also kinda like those "scoops" that mount under the pipes. We'll see.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
        Am I the only nutbag who didn't run with a filter???

The engine breathes OUT that tube every time I ever checked it, and if it ever was to need to inhale, as long as i'm not riding through a sandstorm, it'll be okay.

My 1100 has the stock airbox still, so I assume the vent is into the airbox on it. On my old 550 I just ran a longer piece of hose to the rear of the engine, let it vent there.

~Adam
        Adam, like I said earlier, I don't think the brand of breather filter matters but I do think a filter should be on it. Why? Only because the factory venting set up is connected to the airbox, which is filtered too.
        It's not that big a deal. I chose my set up because I don't like anything messing up the bike or my garage floor. I ride the bike a lot, so after some time I'd have drips everywhere. I also am into detail and don't like the looks of the extra line just hanging somewhere. I also wouldn't run a long line to the rear because discharge will collect in any low spot in the line and compromise venting. Works for me.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by katman
          I bought this catch can on ebay and ran a hose to the tail with a single filter. I bought a pack of 6 filters actually so if anyone needs any they can have one for 5 bucks plus shipping.

katman, not saying anything negative about your set up, so don't take it that way. I don't knock anyones work.
          How often do you have to drain discharge from that can? Is it easy to check/dump it? Why the "extra" line going out to the rear? Seems like you don't need it unless you've let the reservoir fill up and spill into the rear line, which would be quite a bit of discharge collected. Looks fine to me though.

Comment

Working...
          X