jetting,gas cap,exhausts,which one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jetting,gas cap,exhausts,which one?

I have uni individual filters on my1980 gs 1000 with 35,000 miles on it.I have already asked on here about how sometimes it cuts out on me and acts like it isnt getting any gas after about 15 miles, and had lots of good responses about the improperly vented and nonworking gas cap being the culprit.I have yet to check that out but will soon.My question, is the stock 4 into 2 exhausts are too restrictive for individual filters are they not?The former owner ditched the original airbox so i cant go back to that.I figger a 4 into one exhaust setup would stop the too much air and not enough gas problem in addition to checking out the gas cap,would it not? Th original owner doesnt remember what size jets he pput in from the dynojet kit to make things even more complicated. AnyHelp appreciated.I really like my bike, but will for sure do the gas cap thing and check the inline filter.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

What type in-line filter have you got on it? If it is a car one! it is your problem!!! car filters are designed to flow under pressure; at least 3 lbs. motorcycles are gravity feed, so no pressure little flow.
    With pods on a 4 into 1 is probably a good idea to balance intake and exhaust flows.
    Dink

Comment

Just loosen the gas cap (with a lower fuel level), go for a ride and you'll find out fast if poor venting is your problem. Tape it down if you think it may blow off. At higher speeds, I don't think the cap should be completely off though. Turbulence might cause problems too.
      I'd like to see the plugs as the problem shows itself.
      As for pods and pipes, my opinion is run both or neither. Stock exhaust greatly minimizes the pods potential and stock intake doesn't allow a freer flowing pipe to flow significantly more.
      As for jetting, take plug reads at different throttle positions and go from there. If the colors/performance are not good, then see what jets are in the carbs.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I have a car fuel filter on my bike and it seems to flow just fine. Maybe check the flow through your petcock or see if you have some sludgy stuff on the bottom of your tank.

Comment

Thanks guys!!! as usual, i got the answers i need!!
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Working...
          X