Whats going on at the tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats going on at the tracks

Time to put the whats going on in your garage post to rest and take up the whats going on at the tracks post 2006.

Took the gs out last weekend and put a little break in time on the new motor. This weekend put it on the track. Made two easy passes and then two full passes. The full passes were 9.80 and 9.75 both at 135mph. The 60' was poor. 1.42 and a 1.44. This multi stage lockup is going to take some getting used to. The bike was getting out near the tree and the clutch was slipping so bad the shift light was coming on. Compared to the old 2-stage I have a ton of weight on the arms. I think I'll post on dragbike.com about the weight. Another funny thing about the multi stage. When going slowly on the return road, in second gear if you wack the throttle open it slips like crazy, but has enough static to hike the tire off the line.

The other change seems to be the gearing. With the 1260 motor it's going thru the traps at about 9900. Used to go thru at about 9500. I had to move all my shift points up to 10000 and then 9900 for the rest.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

My bike is still sitting. Its ready to go, so maybe next weekend I will see if I can get over that 150 MPH hump with it.

We went last weekend. Had a good time. One driver and two bikes to test. The little bike got a stroker crank over winter. Last year with the kid on it, the best time was an 8.90 (3/4 throttle). This year with the old man (40 pounds extra weight) the bike ran an 8.60. I fully retarded the thing and got it back to an 8.90 with the old man.

Today we all went. I told the kid she would run in the 70s first time out. He just would not buy it. The kids first pass was an 8.70. Quickest run ever. Pass two was an 8.60. Kid was happy. 17 years old now and ready for T/G class.

Comment

Hey, what happened? I thought you were putting a slider on that was going to be hand clutched?

Comment

Last week I got down to a 6.0016. This week played around with the lectrons and back the needles out another 1/4 turn about 1.978 total and she'll started right up and sounded pretty good. Best part is it's not smoking anymore, so I think I got them spot on. Ran a 6.03 and 6.05.

Started talking to a few friends about wheel bearing and how some big time racer's remove the cover and clean them out and spray some LPS elevator cable spray on them. They say it gives them an extra 4-5mph by reducing bearing drag and with a warmed up engine they can spin the rear wheel by hand and it will rotate at least 10 tens before coming to a stop and that's with the chain on too. May just give it a try on stock bearings cause right now my wheel only gets up to 5 before stopping.
        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

THat was the plan. I paid for a slider, but it never came. Took me months and months to get my money back. Then this multi stage, came up on ebay and I decided to try it. The slider idea is still cooking in the back of my brain.

Comment

When ever I make my first past down the track my clutch always seems to slip alittle to much. But after that it hooks up. I think it's just cold and the plates havn't expanded until they get hot and then it's good to go.

When I ran at 1166cc I launch around 7 or 8k now at 1395 I launch at 5 or 6K with 6 41lb springs and a bolt/nut on each arm. anything higher and it would slip to much, shiftlite on.

With the 1260 your making more power and the clutch will feel it. Are the plates new, I think alittle more weight on the arms, washers cause now the arms are also working against the springs so more weight is needed just to equal the pressure of the old lockup. Does the multi lockup have little springs that oppose arm movement?? and can you adjust them??

Comment

Originally posted by RacingJake
              I think alittle more weight on the arms, washers cause now the arms are also working against the springs so more weight is needed just to equal the pressure of the old lockup. Does the multi lockup have little springs that oppose arm movement?? and can you adjust them??
              Thats exactly how they work. There is a guy at the track that has a multi stage on a hayabusa dragbike. An 8.20 bike. He says I should be running around 5g on each arm. I'm already running 8.5g with the softest springs I got. I took it apart last night. No burnt plates, but a little of that black on the steels that wiped off with my thumb. I added 3 lbs static and another washer on each arm. Takes it to 9.4g on each arm now. If it still slips I may take 2 of the counter springs out. I think it would make 2 of the arms come in really fast and start locking it up quicker??? The guy with the busa motor said I would get gray hair without a data-logger. So I'm fairly happy it's at least close. As long as it doesn't rain I have 2 more test and tunes to get it in order. Season starts may 6th.

Did you get that 5 yet? I saw you were close.

Comment

That be worth a try and wouldn't cost anything but time. Maybe even more static pressure will help too. Good Luck, I know that feeling like when I was adjusting my carbs.

Still knocking at the door, just one more inch at the line should do it. Our track is under new management and once a month they strip the rubber from the burnout area to the 60ft mark. Your boots don't even stick to the track when staging anymore. So I don't know if it's me or the track when I make a change. I did notice my front brake was draging alittle so I got that fix maybe that will be the straw this Thursday.

Comment

Hi All,

Anyone out there actually race GSX's that go around corners?

Noel

Comment

Originally posted by Motoplas
                    Hi All,

Noel
                    How wide a corner are we talking?

Comment

Originally posted by Motoplas
                      Hi All,

Noel
                      The return road has a couple corners on it.

Comment

I road-raced GSX-R's for about 7 years. Taking a hiatus right now... my 600 will be "modern vingtage" legal next year. (club class... modern vintage is 10 years old or more, near-unlitmited modifications allowed)

Comment

I finally got one of those IHRA Event Winner stickers tonight. I like to think it's about time since in Q16 I got a 4th and 2nd and in Bike class got a 4th and 2nd too in the past year.

Now where to put the sticker \\/ \\/
                          Last edited by RacingJake; 04-30-2006, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Yesterday was the first points race at 131. The Shark lost at the tree but was a close race. 0.0001 seconds!

We were down to the last two rounds and some guy from IL wanted to test his mustang. I figured the guy was trying to get his license or something because I had not seen him make a full pass with the car. We were next in line to run so me and the kid stood behind the car to watch. I wish I had video taped it. Car starts to sway a little at about 300'. The driver seemed to want to try and correct it but it started to oscillate really bad. It ended up sideways and went into the wall around 1000'. I watched it slide down the wall, nose first and it looked like it was going to stop. The tires started to put off a lot of smoke and I could not see for a few seconds. Then, through the smoke I saw car rolling, 1, 2, 3 times (I guess it rolled 4). Then it finally stops. It seems like he still went through around 70 MPH or something. I was more interested in looking at the car.

The driver appeared unhurt. The car did not appear to have a whole lot of damage.

It took a long time to get the track cleaned up. I felt a few drops of rain and they ran two more cars. It looked like the car in the right lane started to loose tracktion, then they called the race.

So, we need to wait till next weekend to see how the kid does.

Next weekend is an all weekend event. We have an all bike meet on Sunday, normal points on Saturday and Friday night madness. I am thinking to take out my bike for its maiden run on Friday. We will see how the weather holds out.

Comment

I ended up making some big changes to the clutch. replaced a bunch of the fibers. Added about 8 more lbs. Removed the counter springs from 2 of the arms. The other 4 arms have some custom springs I got from my dad. Alot lighter than those that came with the lockup. Into a 20 mph head wind it ran 9.73 9.74 9.72. The last two were back to back 1.36 60'. The rpm was dipping pretty good off the line so I need to take out a little static.

The second pass I did my burnout in first gear instead of third. Just to give it a try. I let go of the front brake and started riding it out. I started rolling off the throttle and going for the clutch. Right at that moment the rear tire hooked up and the bike shot forward. Picture this. Left hand in the air, right hand still on the bars, ass smacked into the back of the seat, and look of total fear on face. Somehow I got my hand back on the bar and saved it. Dont want to ever do that again.

Comment

Working...
                              X