Whats going on at the tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rood, brain fart......

We are for sure talking about the same guy. I wonder why he doesn't run with us. I just assumed that he didn't have much time to go racing so we seldom see him.

Maybe your payout is higher.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15 View Post
      here is one of yours truly shot by one of the car guys.
      http://media.putfile.com/RCC-43
      Man, no shot of the board at the end.

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
        rood, brain fart......

We are for sure talking about the same guy. I wonder why he doesn't run with us. I just assumed that he didn't have much time to go racing so we seldom see him.

Maybe your payout is higher.
        Payout higher....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....Doubtful....

RT66....winner $360, RU $180, Semis $90...that's it.
        Entry....$15 to get in the gate, plus $35 to enter ProBike.

It's run poorly, they cancel at a hint of rain and don't reschedule. Plus, the program takes forever to complete. And, we only get the same 14-16 bikes every race....

I asked Bob once why he came all the way down to Joliet, IL to race....
        I think it was because the track surface is so good, (it is) and it's delay box racing....

Beyond that, I don't know. I don't think it's time, he motorhomes in and stays the weekend.

I only race there when I'm not racing at Byron because it's close.

Bob
        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I forgot about this from Sunday morning second round.

When we pulled around the corner to go to the burnout box there was a top fuel dragster sitting there on the right side. When we pulled up next to him i realized it said miller light on the side. So i start thinking who else runs a miller light top fuel car besides Larry Dixon. Then I see Larry Dixon standing right next to the car. he's alot smaller than he looks on tv. So he's walking around shaking hands signing autographs and such. he ends up standing right in front of me with a whole mess of fans. So the lines moving up and I'm thinking I'll have to ask Larry Dixon to move because now I can't get by. Finally a couple of the people trying to get autographs realize I need to get by and step back away from him. So I push by him without a look thinking Hey i know your Larry Dixon and all, but right now I have to go racing.

He seemed real patient with everyone. He was doing pictures, autographs, shaking hands. I would think that would get old, but he had nothing, but a smile on his face the whole time.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco15 View Post
            I forgot about this from Sunday morning second round.
            I would think that would get old, but he had nothing, but a smile on his face the whole time.

Very cool. I would have asked for a signed autograph with him standing next to you and your bike. Never bite the hand that feeds you, or so I've been told. The NASCAR guys are the same.

The clutch made it in but was the wrong one, so back it went. Hope to have the right one by Wed. noon so I can try it out. My driveway needs a few more black marks in it.

Sounds like the payout is about the same. Track is smooth and we don't have any problems running mid to low 8's with the bikes. We have about the same number of bikes that show up. It could be the delay box. Martin is IHRA, so its all no-box.

Comment

Sounds like the payout is about the same. Track is smooth and we don't have any problems running mid to low 8's with the bikes. We have about the same number of bikes that show up. It could be the delay box. Martin is IHRA, so its all no-box.
              I think your right....there are a few guys at 66 who only run box, no interest in bottom bulbing. And there are few guys up at Byron who refuse to run a box....

Me...I'll go both ways...probably why I'm not so good at either.:-D

Cool deal with Dixon.
              Last summer Geno Scali was up at Byron to T&T and my wife went over to his trailer to get his autograph....he was a very nice guy...asked a lot of questions about us and our racing program.
              Not the same as Dixon, but sometimes you forget they are people...just like us.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                I think your right....there are a few guys at 66 who only run box, no interest in bottom bulbing. And there are few guys up at Byron who refuse to run a box....

Me...I'll go both ways...probably why I'm not so good at either.:-D
                If I only had a nickle for the number of web wars that have been on this subject, or the number of times I have heard at the track, "If I only had my box", I would be rich.

I would rather them be allowed than debate the rules. The whole problem is what makes a delay. I over heard a few guys talking about a guy who cheated at their track using an air clutch with an adustable outlet jet in the cylinder. I was playing with this same setup for a while and know of others who have as well to control the launch. I guess it could be cheating.

If you have a delay box, but do not have it wired to do delay is it cheating? An example would be to have a delay box, with N2o controller and auto all built into one. If you don't have the delay wired, should it be allowed? I would think so, but I bet 99% of the people would not agree with me.

The delay box is common and easy to get and wire in. May as well allow it. The biggest argument I hear is that no one will race. To me, E/T dragging bikes is already a dead sport. I bet we had 60 bikes show at the last test and tune I went to on a Friday. None of these people race on Saturday.

The guys that don't want it should be pure and get rid of all the other technology they have like shift lights, air shift, auto shift, line lock, 2-steps, CDI, EFI .......

The other thing I hear a lot is that it removes the driver. These people have never riden a bike. It is nover going to get to the point (without some more sensors) that a rider could hop on and do nothing. We may see tighter lights but who cares.

Just my 2 cents on the subject, repeated the 100th time now.....

Comment

If I only had a nickle for the number of web wars that have been on this subject, or the number of times I have heard at the track, "If I only had my box", I would be rich.

I would rather them be allowed than debate the rules. The whole problem is what makes a delay. I over heard a few guys talking about a guy who cheated at their track using an air clutch with an adustable outlet jet in the cylinder. I was playing with this same setup for a while and know of others who have as well to control the launch. I guess it could be cheating.

If you have a delay box, but do not have it wired to do delay is it cheating? An example would be to have a delay box, with N2o controller and auto all built into one. If you don't have the delay wired, should it be allowed? I would think so, but I bet 99% of the people would not agree with me.

The delay box is common and easy to get and wire in. May as well allow it. The biggest argument I hear is that no one will race. To me, E/T dragging bikes is already a dead sport. I bet we had 60 bikes show at the last test and tune I went to on a Friday. None of these people race on Saturday.

The guys that don't want it should be pure and get rid of all the other technology they have like shift lights, air shift, auto shift, line lock, 2-steps, CDI, EFI .......

The other thing I hear a lot is that it removes the driver. These people have never riden a bike. It is nover going to get to the point (without some more sensors) that a rider could hop on and do nothing. We may see tighter lights but who cares.

Just my 2 cents on the subject, repeated the 100th time now.....
                  Well I like both, but bottom bulbing is more fun...IMHO.
                  At the 2WheelSpeed series up at Byron it's no box...and they mean not on the bike at all. And it's tricky for a lot of guys...
                  Have you ever made a 2WS event?
                  One weekend this year they had 160 bike entries....
                  ET class is broken into bar bikes and street bikes, winner of each races for $1000. Payout starts with 3rd round winners.
                  Plus Pro400, Shootout and a couple of Harley classes.

Good time....

My only problem with box racing is I believe it keeps beginners away.

Oh well...back to work.
                  Later,
                  Bob T.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                    My only problem with box racing is I believe it keeps beginners away.
                    Just from the few kids I have talked with on Fridays when they all come, they just don't get the whole E/T racing. This seems to be why they won't come. They want to go heads up with their friends.

We have similar events at Martin. Several bike classes. Some box, some no-box. Shootout, Harley .... Something for everyone. This is the only time I actually race. I never do any good but I have a fun time. The only down side is that we get anything from shootout bikes running street E/T to a mo-ped that ran pro E/T. All legal by the rules. That mo-ped was deadly......

Comment

Having competed with a car in bracket racing I found it a pretty fun challenge to go against the boxes and whatever Biondi had to sell. I had a 10 second car for about 25 years that had a 4 speed and a linelock with a 2 step rev limiter. Not much but fun. I know it ain't a bike but the competition is the same I think. I never complained at nobody but myself when I got beat. I'm the one that made the mistakes not them. I was a typical drag racer I won a few but lost more. I always thought too much confidence can beat you too. So sometimes the box can be a little bit of a crutch that may break. Electronics are a great tool but we still gotta' drive (ride) too.

Comment

25 years ago a 10 second car was fast. Even for a new car its fast. Most of the kids who come on Fridays are 11's on up.

Ryan has shown us a few pictures inside his shop and there appears to be the makings of a drag car sitting there (not to start any gossip).

I agree with you. I would hate to see a way for the electronics to know car position and control the throttle stops. That and a bionic eye to read the tree (now that we can't use the current pulse with the LED lamps), is all you need to kill off E/T racing all together. Imagine running a nice slow 14.0000 every round with a 0.5001 bulb every time in your street car... What would be the fun in that, except the $$$$.

What about the factory cars that have traction control, should they be allowed to race in street E/T?

I am all for the delay box, but I think you need to draw the line somewhere. To me it's just one more tool as you put it.

Comment

Go out and find an old 70's era 4 banger like I did years ago. That 71 Pinto with a 1600cc motor would run 21 flat at 60 mph all day long. Never red lit and was getting a 10 to 12 second head start. Back then those guys hated when I pulled up. That thing was so slow it couldn't even do a good burn out all you saw was the blowby coming out of the exhaust. Man I miss the car, won alot of races too. Might just go out to the junkyard and buy one.

Now days I'll take my Yamaha TW200 to the track, it's runs 12.80 in the 1/8. Maybe one day she'll crack the 50mph mark as I wave to the crowd going down the track.
                          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Reminds me of a guy I knew with a 76 Cordoba. Ran 16.80's flat out and 17.60 with the A/C on. He nailed the tree and ran his dial. I usually had to pull out of the staging lanes to run back to the pits for something when he was near. Funny thing when I'd come back somebody else was lined up against him. :shock: I know I'm a chicken. Actually I wasn't quite that bad but boy if I did see him near I tried real hard to slither in way behind him.

Comment

Does anyone here road race their GS's like these guys?

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                                Does anyone here road race their GS's like these guys?
                                I'd love to try it...we even have a track nearby...but I can hardly afford to run the drag bike...

Plus when you win at the drag strip you get cash money....most amature road racing gets you a trophy...

Still like to try it though.

Bob T.

Comment

Working...
                                X