I built a 1982 gs 750 streetfighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I built a 1982 gs 750 streetfighter

So, I have been working on this bike for 2 years now and I am finally riding it. I have done alot of mods from stock to the best of my ability but I have never built a bike before so it was all new to me. Its still a work in progress and it seems every time I do something I find out a week later that there was an easyer way, but I guess thats just how it goes. My list of mods are below along with a picture that I took today. I am a bit of a computer geek so I was thinking of putting together a website that explains how I did all the mods complete with pictures and tips for other people wanting to upgrade their old gs's.
    Here is my list of mods:

late 90's GSXR SRAD rear-end (monoshock conversion)
    Honda CBR foot-pegs
    early 90's GSXR front end
    busa chrome rear caliper w/goodridge steel line
    Thurst sprocket kit 520 conversion 15/50
    Supertrapp chrome header
    air filter pods
    TES performance dual front headlights
    strait drag bar w/hd salt shakers - not installed yet
    Yoshimura RS-3 Can - not installed yet

When I get it running properley it should be ready for paint. Here is the picture I took today.

Now comes my question, I have air filter pods and an aftermarket header. Would this combo ever cause the bike to sputter and sound like it is running out of gas and and be gutless at a certian rpm, beacuse this is what is happening to me when I ride. I don't have a tach so I really don't know what range it is doing it. If anyone has any idea what the problem might be I would really like to hear from you.

Thank-you
    Dave

Absolutely that would cause sputtering and a flat spot in the powerband. Your bike needs to be jetted specifically for your exhaust/intake modifications.

If I knew the specifics on jetting a bike, I'd love to help, but alas I don't.

but...it's gonna look pretty mean when it's done real nice work-now get that can on there and jet the bike!:P

Comment

Looking good. The easiest way to get the carbs right is with a jet kit. Dynojet, Factory, Yoshimura are the ones you see most often. Dynojet can help for sure and I see quite a few Yosh kits on Ebay for a range of bikes. You might get lucky and see yours listed. Stage 3 is what you would want with your mods.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I found a jet kit on ebay just now for $100us. I am guessing this is the going rate for a kit like this. Should I insatll the ehaust can before I rejet the carb or is it fine to rejet with no can and midpipe.

thanks
        Dave

Comment

I'd make sure the exhaust was installed exactly as it's going to be installed when the bike is finished when you rejet the carb. small, high strung engines (like in any bike) are a lot more sensitive to that airflow than big (car) engines...I won't bother rejetting the carb in my truck, for example, when I install the headers/exhaust.

BTW, where'd you get those "SUZUKI RACE" side covers? those would look great on my SACS 750
          Last edited by Guest; 04-22-2006, 11:36 PM.

Comment

BTW, where'd you get those "SUZUKI RACE" side covers? those would look great on my SACS 750

What "SUZUKI RACE" side covers??? Are you talking about the suzuki emblems on the engine, if so they are stock.

Comment

That is a very good looking bike! cant wait to see it with thecan on it! YES!!!!! make a web page with all the details on!!!!!!!

You definatly NEED to re-jet your carbs. Do it with the bike set up as you plan it to be when done. The carbs jetting and balanceing would be the LAST thing to do (I would think) in getting it to run smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx82
                What "SUZUKI RACE" side covers??? Are you talking about the suzuki emblems on the engine, if so they are stock.
                Weird, I never noticed those on the later bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx82

The bike looks great!

Those covers say "Suzuki TSCC" don't they?

/\/\ac
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-23-2006, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Yea, the side covers say "TSCC". I got them from my local Suzuki dealer after a friend of mike dumped my bike. So, I put together a little web page today for GS mods and I will be adding alot of stuff to in the future. Everyone is welcome to take a look and I hope you guys will give me some feedback and let me know what sould be on the site.

The address is http://gsmods.no-ip.info

Keep in mind I just started this site today and its hosted on a computer in my basement, so it might be slow as sin. Nothing fancy yet but I hope to gather alot of GS info and post it up.

thanks for the kind words about my bike guys

Dave

Comment

I like it. Best thing about having a bike like that is that nobody else does.

Allen

Comment

what is your swingarm and did you have to mod the pivot bosses to get it in??
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Yes I did have to mod the pivot point, it's all in my web site if you want to take a look at http://gsmods.no-ip.info. Hey, Katman it's me Dave, the guy you sold the blue GSXR front fender to. I was wondering if I could put your kat build info on my website for all to see. let me know

Comment

I can't seem to get your webpage to come up.
                            I love your bike, and I have been waiting for someone to put together a website.

Comment

man that's a wicked bike !!!b.b.

Comment

Working...
                              X