Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Vacuum Synchronizer Do You Recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Vacuum Synchronizer Do You Recommend?

My 1980 GS550L is sucking gas like it's going out of style (which it is). I performed a full carb rebuild a couple months ago and I am getting by alright with my bench sync, but I still need to adjust the air screws and vacuum sync the carbs. Right now, my plug readings are fine, but I'm trying to increase gas mileage. I currently get about 30-35 mpg. I have a MAC 4-1 pipe, stock air filter, and stock jetting. The bike runs and idles great, just eats a little too much gas. So I'm in the market to finish the job.

Can anyone recommend a synchronizer AND where to get one on-line?

PS - I'm a big guy (260 lbs) so I'm not expecting miracles from my 550, just want to tune those carbies for the best efficiency.

Thanks a bunch

BUMP!

Is THIS a good kit?

Comment

Morgan Carbtune

I was in the same situation as you not too long ago, and from doing a bit of research I came to a simple conclusion.

Morgan Carbtune is the best on the market for regular consumers. Perhaps professional garages/service stations may use something more sophisticated, but it will also cost MUCH more...

Carbtune motorcycle carburetor synchronizers;polycarbonate tool pouchs;for motorcyclists

I would also like to highly recommend getting the "Carbtool" if you end up getting the Carbtune from them, it makes the tuning process a bit easier with the 2-in-one tool...

Its going to be a bit more than the one you posted, but from my research, i found many reviews that stated the "dial" type synchronizers are not as accurate for some reason.

I figured I'm going to guy this tool ONCE, so its worth the extra money no questions asked as it more than pays for itself the first time if you wanted to have the carbs synchronized by your dealer/shop.
      ==================================================
      1979 GS1000E

"NEVER MESS WITH A GS"
      "The less you know, the more you believe."
      "We thought that we had the answers, it was the questions we had wrong."

Comment

Motion Pro

well I just bought a motion pro mercury stick-type so it's the best I hope (haven't used it yet).

Search "carb balancer" on ebay and they can be got on line there.

Comment

Just a quick vote for the Carbtune II. Its spendy but I found it ver easy to use and accurate when compared against a known value, and tube to tube.

The mercury may be cheaper but A: You've got to work with Mercury and B: you'll spill or break it sooner or later.

The Carbtune looks like it could take quite a few drops from the bars with no problem.

/\/\ac

Comment

The pressure gauge (manometer) type you saw on ebay is a piece of cake to constuct for yourself.

Just get yourself 4 gauges going from -2 up to 0 bar. This will mostly do the trick. Fix them onto some piece of rail or strip and attatch fuel hoses. Some tweaking with hose clamps will get you a good connection to the carbs.

Set i've built cost under 20 Euros, not quite penny tech, but cheap enough for me :-D

Comment

Morgan carbtune.

Comment

I have used both the Merc type and the Morgan Carb tune and I would say both do a great job for the intended function. I will add this though, I don't like the fact that one little accidental flick a bit to hard on the throttle and you can suck Mercury into your engine. :shock: As a result of that, I prefer my Carbtune. For me, it is fool proof 8-[

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik
                  well I just bought a motion pro mercury stick-type so it's the best I hope (haven't used it yet).

Search "carb balancer" on ebay and they can be got on line there.
                  I use that one. It's not been a problem but as Hoomgar said, don't whack the throttle open or closed, or you may suck liquid metal into your precious engine! It's as accurate as any gauge becuase it's liquid, which is the most accurate method to test vaccum. You'll need to store it upright and keep it away from kids. Mercury is nasty stuff. I remeber playing around with a big ball of the stuff in my palm as a kid.
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Avoid mercury like the plague.

Comment

Originally posted by XJeRge
                      The pressure gauge (manometer) type you saw on ebay is a piece of cake to constuct for yourself.

Just get yourself 4 gauges going from -2 up to 0 bar. This will mostly do the trick. Fix them onto some piece of rail or strip and attatch fuel hoses. Some tweaking with hose clamps will get you a good connection to the carbs.

Set i've built cost under 20 Euros, not quite penny tech, but cheap enough for me :-D
                      Here's another take on that idea....this one qualifies for 'penny-tech' I think ...

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq
                        Here's another take on that idea....this one qualifies for 'penny-tech' I think ...

Tony.

That's penny tech alright!

Comment

Working...
                        X