Converting to 530 chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting to 530 chain

Are there any quirks when converting over to a 530 chain?
    Is there any shimming that must be done?

I've got a '77 GS750 and I am planning on swapping out the chain and sprockets
    to 530 specs with 16T front and 41T in the rear. How do I calculate chain
    length when ordering?

Thanks

Hi rhoff71, I'm not sure why you'd need to do any shimming unless there was a frame clearance issue, but in any case, you may want to reconsider the final drive gear ratio. 16/41 is quite tall for a 750, and you'll see acceleration take longer than you may want. You'd get great fuel economy while cruising, but not so much that it would make up for the lack of bottom end. I'd go with something more like a 15/45 or so, if it were me.

Comment

I was thinking 16/41 because from looking at the parts break down for the
      stocker, it shows 15/41 and I figured changing the front by 1 tooth.
      I do need to double check my current set up to see if it matches those
      stock specs. However, right now I'm doing about 5000rpm at 60mph.

I'd like to bring that down just a little.

Comment

I was going to do the same thing as you. just one tooth up front to get a lil more topend. Let me know what you do and were are you getting the chain and sprockets ffrom? Thanks good luck

Comment

I double checked my sprockets and yes I do have the stock configuration of 41T rear and 15T front.
          My speedometer seems to be off around 10mph @60mph, it shows 70mph.
          I wonder if my rear tire is changing the gear ratio?
          I have a 120/90 18" rear tire. This may be slightly taller than original
          and giving me the speedo error.

Comment

When you change over to 530 chain/sprockets you will want to get sprockets with more teeth on them as the diameter is smaller on the 530's and the chain may rub on the swingarm in the front or even the chain guard bracket/bolt......I know as I just did this a while back and wish I had gone to larger sprockets.....41/15 is a 2.73 ratio, so if you go bigger a 46/17 will give you one step taller gearing or 2.70 ratio.....45/17 will likely be just what your looking for giving a 2.64 ratio which would be like going 2 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket......BadBillyB

Comment

I just did the change on my '78 GS750. I went with 18/47. This is a slightly taller than stock ratio that dropped my RPM at 65MPH by a few hundred. I got a 116 link chain and its a bit long. The adjusters on on the 4th mark from the end so once the chain starts to stretch I'll need to take out a link or two.

I didn't need to shim anywhere. Some posts indicated a need to shim the front sprocket but on mine is wasn't necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB
                When you change over to 530 chain/sprockets you will want to get sprockets with more teeth on them as the diameter is smaller on the 530's and the chain may rub on the swingarm in the front or even the chain guard bracket/bolt......I know as I just did this a while back and wish I had gone to larger sprockets.....41/15 is a 2.73 ratio, so if you go bigger a 46/17 will give you one step taller gearing or 2.70 ratio.....45/17 will likely be just what your looking for giving a 2.64 ratio which would be like going 2 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket......BadBillyB
                This is exactly what I did, tripple B. The 15/42 as stock on the 1100E was too small when I changed to a 530 setup. I would rub the swingarm and wore the front cog out quicker. I then changed to a 17/46? maybe?

I didn't need to shim anywhere. Some posts indicated a need to shim the front sprocket but on mine is wasn't necessary.
                The 530 and 630 chain and sprockets are the same width. However, most of the front 630 sprockets have a flange kind of like a big, huge washer built into the cog, between the retainer nut and the sprocket. Most 530 conversions will require a spacer behind the jackshaft nut, but sometimes you can get the nut torqued down anyway. The flange can be reproduced with washers from the local hardware store.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Where do you guys get the 530 conversion sprokets at? I have a brand new 530 chain in my shop that wasn't used on a previous chopper project & I would like to save a few $ when I replace the chain/sprokets on my 1979 GS750L. What tooth count should I use to keep the original ratio? It now uses 15T engine & 41T wheel sprokets.

Comment

I got mine from Z1 Enterprises. Talk to Jeff or Steve. They're great guys and always ready to help.

Comment

Originally posted by mtalneck78
                      Where do you guys get the 530 conversion sprokets at? I have a brand new 530 chain in my shop that wasn't used on a previous chopper project & I would like to save a few $ when I replace the chain/sprokets on my 1979 GS750L. What tooth count should I use to keep the original ratio? It now uses 15T engine & 41T wheel sprokets.
                      41 divided by 15 is a ratio of 2.73. 46 divided by 17 is 2.71, and a pretty close ratio. 48 divided by 18 is 2.67, etc.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by spdjunkie
                        I'd go with something more like a 15/45 or so, if it were me.
                        Hey guys, sorry for the Hijack but...spdjunkie, check you're PM. I lost you're info during the server move a while back.
                        Thank's, Jeff

Comment

I highly recommend Z1enterprises.com. They are honest folks with great customer service attitude and stock what they advertise. Their prices are VERY competitive as well. See the article on the 630 to 530 conversion on their web site:

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

Working...
                          X