GS1100EZ upside down oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100EZ upside down oil cooler

82 GS1100EZ Keihin CR33s 4into1 kerker oil cooler.
    Can I run my oil cooler upside down?? it is an older kerker oil cooler and the lines are set up on the bottom, well unlike all the coolers I have seen this one is plumbed from an aftermarket plate under the carbs where the oil pressure sensor is located. I dont know much about this set up does this mean that all my oil is going through the cooler unlike the usual down by the filter hookup? and can I invert the cooler so the lines enter and exit on top? this would make for a much better line routing, also taking the lines away from the header. So please hook me up with some knowledge, guys.... :shock:

I could be wrong, but your bike is the 16 valve motor. You can get an adapter for your oil filter cover that will allow you to run the lines straight down to it. The adapter that is at the oil pressure switch is for the 8 valve motors, which can't use the oil filter cover adapter.

But if you don't want to go that route, yes, you can run the cooler upside down if you choose. But routing with the lines down shouldn't interfere with the header. I'm using a lockhart cooler with the lines facing down without any problems on my 1000. Here's some pics:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

thanks my motor is a tscc motor(16 valve) is there any problems running this cooler hookup on the 16 valver??:?

Comment

not sure i have a 1980 GS100G and the oil cooler lines on my bike go up the way you want your but please don't take my advice BTW I do like your bradided lines

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
          I could be wrong, but your bike is the 16 valve motor. You can get an adapter for your oil filter cover that will allow you to run the lines straight down to it. The adapter that is at the oil pressure switch is for the 8 valve motors, which can't use the oil filter cover adapter.

But if you don't want to go that route, yes, you can run the cooler upside down if you choose. But routing with the lines down shouldn't interfere with the header. I'm using a lockhart cooler with the lines facing down without any problems on my 1000. Here's some pics:
          WOW that motor is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by krash
            thanks my motor is a tscc motor(16 valve) is there any problems running this cooler hookup on the 16 valver??:?
            It will work perfectly well. Dragers often use the rear hook-up for top end oilers. Either way you are accomplishing the same thing.
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrp
              Thanks! :-D
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by Jackrp
                What he said!!

Kim

Comment

oil cooler

I just installed one on my 82 GS1100EZ this weekend. I used a Lockhard cooler mounted like Bruces but I ran the lines down to the oilfilter cover plate. This cover plate had two holes drilled and tapped on the corners. I found it on a drag bike at Fremont Cycle Salvage. I paid $15 for the whole set up. The lines are ran outside the frame between the header pins. It's working great.

Comment

ok so the plate I have is a little different than the one shown in the pic. my plate has no provision for the oil temp. is there somewhere else I can put the sending unit and restore the temp gauge function?? I would like to use the stock gauge in the dash. not an additional aftermarket gauge. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by krash
                      ok so the plate I have is a little different than the one shown in the pic. my plate has no provision for the oil temp. is there somewhere else I can put the sending unit and restore the temp gauge function?? I would like to use the stock gauge in the dash. not an additional aftermarket gauge. :-D

I don't know about the adapters that mount on the front of the engine like those 16 valve models, but with the 8 valve GS750/850/1000/1100 models, none of the aftermarket adapters (except mine) that mount behind the cylinder block will accept the oil temp sensor, probably because at the time they were being manufactured the only Suzy GS engine with an oil temp gauge was the magnificent 1979 GS1000S.

Mine are solid billet 6061-T6 aircraft quality aluminum, as opposed to cast pot-metal, so there is plenty of "meat" to drill and tap for your oil temp sensor. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

You can tap into the ports on either side of the oil filter cover. Those are dummy plugs for the banjo bolts. That's how the stock 1150 blocks did it (same bottom case as our 1100's). This leaves the oil temp sender as it is.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Not trying to threadjack but has anyone seen the adapters at the oil pressure sending unit that have provisions for oil temp and pressure? Or has anyone drilled and tapped them for the senders? Just got a top end oiler kit and am looking into finding a proven remedy to the problem.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2006, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Yeah me too, I could take the suggestions and run it off the cooler off of the ports by the filter but it would seem that the plate I have works well enough for the 8 valve drag bikes so why go to the bother of tig welding the inside of the cover and duplicate the 1150 filter cover and rerunning the lines down by the exhaust. by the way what does the top end oiler kit consist of? Maybe it would be worth it to if I was going to hook okne of those up too, However it still doesnt get my Temp gauge working again. AHhhhh8-[

Comment

Working...
                            X