No announcement yet.

Next Problem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I purchased the helio coils last night and will be taking the engine apart again on sunday. I plan to complete this job on Sunday unless I hit another snag. How about dropping the oil pan and flushing the engine. With as much work as I have done I would really like to make sure that I didn't drop something or something fell in when I was not looking. I would also like to make sure that any possible metal shaveings were flushed out before I try to start her up. What should I use a an engine flush if you consider this a good idea.

The Beast

Comment

I'm not sure what you've done so far that would generate metal shavings.

If you are careful, you can collect all the shavings on this particular job by using a shop vac and stuffing rags into oil return passages to keep them up top.

Comment

I understand that. But you are talking to a guy that just put his pistons in backwards. I may not have had any problems but with my luck and since I will have it apart again why take the chance.

The Beast

Comment

Well, you need a slight amount of oil on the cylinders before you fire it up, so make sure of that, and the piston pins should have some moly on them along with the cam lobes and rocker contact points.

If you feel like pouring a small amount of kerosine down the oil drain holes in the head it probably woun't hurt it. I wouldn't use gasoline.

In general though, if you have taken care when building it (clean hands, rags, try to avoid paper towels, etc) you should be ok.

Comment

Sounds good. I have been very careful during the work so I will skip the flushing. Just wanted to see if it was a good idea or could it cause more problems.

The Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Boozy Creek Beast
              Sounds good. I have been very careful during the work so I will skip the flushing. Just wanted to see if it was a good idea or could it cause more problems.

The Beast
              Let it drain out. I don't flush my rebuilds. Just make sure you don't remove the lubrication in critical areas.

Keep in mind that anything in the sump will be filtered by the screen. I'd have to look to see if the filter is before or after the pump.

Comment

Working...
              X