Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what jet kit to get ???

Hey people.
    On my 1980 GS1000G i have replaced the stock mufflers with the mac 4-2 turnouts. My bike is noticeble leaner &the plug electrodes are more white than they should be ( all 4 are the same colour white)the bike is completly stock except for the pipes.The carb boots are brand new & so are the O rings in them.The air box is well sealed .The bike runs well but seems to not have as much power at the top end .So, i would like to jet it a bit richer.I have no idea whats in there stock & no idea where to start. Im hopeing some of you can give me a kit # to start with. [-o< [-o<
    Thanks as always
    Vinny

With a stock airbox and filter you are probalby looking for a DynoJet Stage II jet kit. It will come with a few different jets for you and instructions on how to set it up. You may need to remove the airbox cover.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Why not just try shimming the mid range needles

Comment

Originally posted by ddz
        Hey people.
        On my 1980 GS1000G i have replaced the stock mufflers with the mac 4-2 turnouts. My bike is noticeble leaner &the plug electrodes are more white than they should be ( all 4 are the same colour white)the bike is completly stock except for the pipes.The carb boots are brand new & so are the O rings in them.The air box is well sealed .The bike runs well but seems to not have as much power at the top end .So, i would like to jet it a bit richer.I have no idea whats in there stock & no idea where to start. Im hopeing some of you can give me a kit # to start with. [-o< [-o<
        Thanks as always
        Vinny
        I purchased a Dynojet kit for my '82 1100E. I am running the std air box and paper filter, airbox lid removed, and a 4 into 1 aftermarket exhaust. I installed the jets EXACTLY per the instructions. To make a long story short, my bike would barely run!! It would start, idle horrible, and would not even rev up. My mechanic eventually replaced the Dynajet needles, back to the stock needles with a "1/2" shim. with this setup my bike ran good, but needed further tweaking. Currently I am at stock #45 pilots, stock needles (shimmed) and #110 mains. I am very close to "sweet" jetting. I may possible swap to #50 pilots, but I want to wait for warmer weather to be sure. In my opinion, a jet kit is a waste of money. All you will probably need to do is richen your air screws, and shim the stock needles. I wasted $100 on a jet kit, and all's I used was the #110 mains. (Dynajet even recommended #115's for my bikes setup initially). I am very dissapointed their recomendations were so far off base. (this is all strictly my experiences and opinions).
        Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2006, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Should be able to tune it with Mikuni parts. I would guess going up one size on the main jet and shimming the needle one notch would be a good start.

Comment

thanks guys . Soi guess ill start with shimming the needles.where do i get shims from ?Then if need be i'll try goin one size up on the mains.Wish me luck[-o<
            Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by ddz
              thanks guys . Soi guess ill start with shimming the needles.where do i get shims from ?Then if need be i'll try goin one size up on the mains.Wish me luck[-o<
              Vinny
              The jets can be had from the dealer Vinny. As for your needle, those are CV carbs right? I can't help you with them

Comment

If the needles shim the same as my 850 and 1100 then you can get some washers at the hardware store. As far as Dynojet kits go I have had the same experience as Road Clam. My 850 ran soooo bad after my Dynojet kit went in. Very disappointed. My 1100 ran so friggin' hot all the time that I thought it was normal until I installed my RS's then it cooled off 40 degrees. I should have went with the way the plugs looked instead of trusting the Dynojet engineers.

Comment

Working...
                X