Modify Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modify Air Box

I was wondering is there is anyway to modify the air intake box for better performance. I was given a k&n air filter for it so I am not going to go for the pods right now.

Thanks

Originally posted by akreider
    I was wondering is there is anyway to modify the air intake box for better performance. I was given a k&n air filter for it so I am not going to go for the pods right now.

Thanks
    what size engine--the here are a couple of diferent shaped ait filter boxes. I asume you meant the compartment that houses the air filter.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2006, 09:45 PM.

Comment

The K&N replacement filter, according to the KN site , is designed to be used with the stock airbox, without any mods done to the box or changes in jetting....they warn that drilling holes in the box or taking off the cover with the stock jetting will be detrimental to performance (resulting in a too lean condition no doubt)...if you are gonna rejet etc., may as well use pods and get the full benefit? Just my 0.02 .

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Sorry, I have a 81 gs1100e

Comment

Originally posted by akreider
          Sorry, I have a 81 gs1100e
          One of the first things i did to my 83 1100e was to totally remove the air filter box and install a K&N. Then read my plugs. I should have read my plugs first. But any way if they show up a bit lean, you can shim the mid range needles with tiny washers. Performance gains?????? Probasbly not noticable compared to the fussing that you may end up doing. Try removing the cover in spite of what K&n says. One other note. When i completely removed the filter box, i was able to check the water in the battery very easily which is very important in hot areas. I held the filter in place with plastic ties on the steel nipple on the back of the filter.
          The gain in any case is negligable. If you notice it it will be your imagination. Those 1100e bikes are already fast. Change the countershaft sprocket if you want to wet your pants lol
          Last edited by Guest; 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X