do i need a jet kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i need a jet kit

all i am thinking about doing is switching to a drop in replacement k&n filter over stock... no other mods to the bike. It is a gs550L from 1982?

thanks,

-jeff

anything else required or recommended would be helpful as well. The bike has been sitting for some time. I just cleaned out the carbs today... and it never came w/any air filter, i figured i might as well as get a k&n because it's only like $10 more for a drop in replacement, assuming i don't need to modify anything else.

where do you recommend buying parts from? I have been looking on bike bandit. any other suggestions?

-jeff

Comment

The drop-in K&N shouldn't require any jetting changes. I put one on my 1150 and it runs fine. Maybe better, since I'm at high altitude. It seems to have better response.
      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

thx... anything else i should do... i'm doing an oil change, replacing the fuel filter, the battery (the guy was insane and continually trickle charged it) is ok, obviously i'm getting an air filter, and as i said i cleaned the carbs.

-jeff

Comment

Clean and oil and adjust the chain, check the steering head nut. You may want to eventually change the wheel bearings and the fork oil/seals. Check and re-tourque the exhaust bolts, head and cam bolts. Check all your other bolts and screws... they can vibrate loose. New spark plugs and wires? Check your electrical connections for any frayed wires or corrosion.
          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
          79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

definently new plugs and wires/boots... also, depending on how deep you want to dive into it, intake orings, and exhaust gaskets...
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Working...
            X