Chain conversion 520 is it okay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain conversion 520 is it okay

I have found a great deal on a 520 chain converstion kit. its for a gsxr 600 97-00. frnt sprocket is 15 rear is 45 cahin is a 108. My question is will this work on my 1979 gs 750? thanks

Just be careful of chain clearance on the swingarm and on cases.

You may need to shim the front--counter shaft sprocket for clearance.
    Not unusual with a 530 conversion.

And converting links........how many links does your bike need?
    Versus the smaller chain, you may need more
    Going from the 630, 96 links to a 530 I used about 110-115 links.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

my 630 is 96 links as well. So even with the sprockets i am running with the kit, will 108 be enough? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by odl777
        I have found a great deal on a 520 chain converstion kit. its for a gsxr 600 97-00. frnt sprocket is 15 rear is 45 cahin is a 108. My question is will this work on my 1979 gs 750? thanks
        Help bidding is about to end

Comment

A 520 conversion is doable but not really necessary. The GSXR uses a different rear sprocket bolt pattern

Comment

520 conversion

I did it on my 82 GS1100. I used 18T and 50T on rear. The chain length was 116 pitches. My center distance was about 24.5" Make sure your front sprocket has a spacer on the inside or it is machined with the proper clearances. (see the photo)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul F
              I did it on my 82 GS1100. I used 18T and 50T on rear. The chain length was 116 pitches. My center distance was about 24.5" Make sure your front sprocket has a spacer on the inside or it is machined with the proper clearances. (see the photo)
              What photo....

The spacer needs to be a 5mm washer that will be able to clear the sprocket shaft on the inside of the spacer/washer.

Comment

Working...
              X