What do I get...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I get...

Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole scene, and I just got my first bike. I got a 1983 GS550E. I wanted to get myself a nice single exhaust system, but I don't even know where to start looking. I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction?

Also, I wanted to get some different handle bars, and mirrors. I'm going for a sleeker sportier look, so any suggestions on that would be nice as well.

First off, welcome to the GSR.

Handlebars/mirrors are readily available. Almost all non-harley bars are 7/8" diameter tube, so compatability isnt a problem. Personally, Id recommend superbike bars. See the article on ergonomics on the main page for more info. Drag bars are agressive, but with no rise shoulders/wrists tend to start hurting. Ive ridden for 5 hours at a time with my superbikes with no pains whatsoever. Id recommend checking bikebandit, ron ayers, dennis kirk, or http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm They have a good supply of stuff and you can find about anything you want.

Now, exhaust. There are a decent selection of 4-2s out there, 4-1s are a little harder to come by. Just about any 4-1 conversion you do is going to require carb rejetting. Sometimes that turns into a real saga. And it will almost always hurt your mileage. Vance & Hines, Kerker, and MAC all make systems for the GS.

Ergos article: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_ergonomics.htm
    Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2006, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Would it be possible to get a newer style muffler on the 4-1's?

Comment

all the ones Ive seen come with a stock-ish megaphone. Ive seen it done though. Mine is stock for the time being, so I dont know what all it takes to make it work. Try searching for "slip on" or something similar in performance and tech, never know what you might find.

Comment

There are some people considering/doing that here. I think it looks great with a modern can. Might need the help of an exhaust shop that can bend pipe. Find a 4 into one header and a can to combine the two.

Allen

Comment

Working...
          X