Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dyna vs.

I have a bone stock 1982 GS1100 GK.

Planned upgrades include an overbore, Pipes, Rejet, K&N filter kit.

I am looking to upgrade the Ignition now. I was planning on the Dyna S and Dyna 3.0 ohm coils.

Is everyone haveing a good experience with these or getting better luck with another combination?

thanks for the reply,

B.

The Dyna S is designed to work with a centrifugal advance ignition. 82 & up GS bikes have the ignition advance built into the igniter unit. The Dyna 2000 system would be a good choice. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1981
    Another option would be to retrofit a centrifugal advance unit. I remember reading that it's possible, but I haven't done it myself.

Terry

Comment

Absolutely way better than the stock points on the early GSs. I cannot say how they compare to the Suzuki pointless system. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

according to that web page, the dyna 2000 only works on gs850's up to 81. Any ideas why it wouldn't work on my 82 GS850L. My ignitor's bad, and I was thinking about just upgrading to a Dyna system. Does the dyna system take the place of the ignitor box on my bike?

Comment

I really don't know the answer to this one. I would suggest you contact Dyna or Z1 enterprizes, I'm sure either one can tell you. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

anyone here that does know the answer:-D

Comment

Adding Dyna S and Dyna 3.0 ohm coils seems like an interesting upgrade. My question is: using these coils and copper conductor plug wires with the stock ignition generator in say a GS650 would there be any real improvement over the stock coils? and What about those "Splitfire Performance Spark Plugs", you know, the one with the split electrodes I keep hearing about, any real performance value? or just another gimmick? If there's a real, measurable performance improvement, I would certainly be interested. Please keep us posted on your impressions of such an upgrade.
              Cheers, Cletus

Comment

I put the Dyna 3.0 ohm coils with the Dyna wires on the stock 83 GS1100ED and the difference it made was truly unbelievable.
                I never even knew I was running poorly until I put them on.
                Now the way she runs...................Holy Sheeeet\\/ \\/ \\/ \\/
                Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                2000 Kawasaki Concours
                Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by filmxfer
                  I have a bone stock 1982 GS1100 GK.

Planned upgrades include an overbore, Pipes, Rejet, K&N filter kit.

I am looking to upgrade the Ignition now. I was planning on the Dyna S and Dyna 3.0 ohm coils.

Is everyone haveing a good experience with these or getting better luck with another combination?

thanks for the reply,

B.
                  It's a bolt on replacement. I and others use the S as a trigger. The 82 has a mechanical advance not electronic. Just pop the cover and have a look.

Comment

Hmmmmm...... Now that's something to go on my wish list!
                    BTW Both the airbrush guy and the upholstery guy called this afternoon and the paintjob and upholstery are all finished and ready for pickup Monday morning (that's cruelty of the highest order, why could they have not called this am?).... Think I'm working Monday or skipping off???:-D

Comment

My 83 1100E has a mechanical advance unit, for sure. I just lubed it up the other day. Electronic ignition, mechanical advance. Here is the proof:

Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

My question is why???
                        Do you have that much time on your hands??:-D
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

I have read on the gs resource and somebody said the dyna s is a stand a lone system,Just look in electrical heading

Comment

1100's upto the 1150 had mechanical advance and it can be fitted to later models, I put a '80 unit on a '84 1150 motor.

Also put a Dyna S on my '79 GS1000S, made it run better at idle and in the higher rpm's, well worth the money, get it at http://www.z1enterprises.com

Comment

while I'm not sure about the specific ignition setup we're talking about, I'll throw you the info on the whole "splitfire" thing.

They paid off a class action lawsuit a couple years ago regarding performance claims to the tune of almost 4 million dollars. They've since changed the wording on their packaging and advertising...I'd pass on those if I were you and just go with a nice "normal" plug set.

Comment

Working...
                              X