drag bike buildup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

drag bike buildup

i am building a drag ike out of a 79 gs1000 any help would be great looking for an thing specs, body, engine parts (pistons, cams, ect.)
    nick

also lookinf for ideas how to lower it
    nick

could use some lowering blocks, i have some for 30.00 if this guy dont buy them. let me know lowers back around 2 inches.

Comment

Keep looking on eBay.

If it was me, I would leave the bike you have as is. The GS is so old now and parts are getting so had to come by. If you want a drag bike, start with something newer, or look and see if you can buy a whole drag bike already built up. Depending how fast you want to go, this could save you a lot of $$$$, time and hair pulling.

Comment

Something already built is the way to go. Also a 4 valve motor is alot easier to make go fast. Maybe look for a chassis cheap and put in your own motor.

Comment

Depending on how much you want to spend.

Lowering strap for the front end
          rear struts to lower the rear end
          remove muffler, air filters and re-jet carbs
          14T front maybe 42 to 44 rear as long as the rear tire doesn't spin to much
          go with a wider rear wheel maybe a 1100 swingarm would fit???
          advance timing 2 degrees more
          add shift light
          remove all unwanted items

an old gsxr 600 would be alot of fun run and might be cheaper in the long run

and hit the track and practice
          Last edited by RacingJake; 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM.
          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I'll sell you my 79 GS1000 dragbike for 4 grand. It needs a set of engine cases and a crankshaft. The cylinder head and cams alone are worth $4K....Has not run since 1991 and it will need some brake m/c and slave cylinder repair (stock GS1000 pieces), so this will be easy...Runs 8.30's in the 1/4 and 5.20's in the 1/8 ALL MOTOR with a small tire........My local track shut down last year and I just turned 51 years of age, so the wind has been taken from my sails. I really hate to part with it, but it's a fine piece and dont want to see it just sit.......My motor set-up

Big Port head
            Web-Cam 500/470 cams
            Port work done myself
            Big seats/valve job done by Star Racing
            Shim under buckets
            Titanium retainers
            40mm/33mm titanium valves from VHR
            Race springs from Star
            Slotted sprockets done myself
            HD cylinder studs
            Big block from APE
            Bore and Hone by VHR
            Copper head gasket (CGU I think)
            Wiseco 1238 piston kit (heavily modded by myself)
            Teflon buttons
            Falicon 1100 crank modified to fit in GS1000
            Forged aluminum clutch basket by MTC
            Stock GS1100 clutch plates with Red Race Springs by Star
            Clutch spacer plate and ?rack? from MRE
            Dyna S ignition
            Andrews coils
            MPS ignition wires
            MSD ignition box w/rev limiter @ 12.5 K RPM chip
            Race cut gears by MRE
            Automatic Overriding trans 1-2?..2-3?homemade
            Offset countershaft sprocket with out bearing support
            Star Sidewinder header for GS1100
            FBG 40mm Lectron carbs

My chassis set-up

Factory cradle
            Raked front end
            Magnesium alloy wheels (Dymags)
            All frame bracing chromoly tubing
            68" wheel base
            Custom swing arm (w/internal air tank)
            FRP 3/4 gallon GS1000 fiberglass tank
            FRP fiberglass head light
            FRP (Z1R) fiberglass tail piece/seat
            GS1000 tail light
            Kosman rear brake rotor/carrier
            FBG drag bars
            PM front brake caliper
            Stock modified rear brake caliper and MC
            Stock front brake MC
            Solid chromoly rear axle
            Front forks/trees from small SUZ street bike (250??)

Heres a pic when I was IDBA #3 plate holder

Comment

that's a great pic Billy.

I'd also say to either start with something abit newer, and with more goodies readily available. UNless of course you want to fabricate a lot of stuff, in which case I'd by BIllb's bike for the 4 large. That's a good price for the work to already be done on that much of it.

Comment

ninabl if youd like i have some drag cams for ya for sale, and also a pm. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=91483
                -darren

Comment

That is a steal at $4000. If you are going to race a 1000 you certainly should grab that. It has one of our big blocks which was very rare for a 1000.

Jay
                  Speed Merchant
                  http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by BadBillyB
                    My local track shut down last year and I just turned 51 years of age, so the wind has been taken from my sails. I really hate to part with it, but it's a fine piece and dont want to see it just sit......
                    With no spray hard to believe you could get it into the 8.30s with that small of an engine. I would guess 8.8s with a lite rider. I think you should put it back together and prove me wrong!

If you really want to get rid of it, do you have any interest in parting it out?

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy
                      With no spray hard to believe you could get it into the 8.30s with that small of an engine. I would guess 8.8s with a lite rider. I think you should put it back together and prove me wrong!

If you really want to get rid of it, do you have any interest in parting it out?
                      Thanks Lecroy, you just put a big grin on my face. Actually I have run a couple 8.20's with it at Gainesville Raceway. My best 1/8 mile time was a 5.14 @132MPH.....ALL MOTOR (dont tell jake)

I did put a 150 shot to it back in the late 80's but a maintenance tear down revealed a crack in one piston just above the top ring. I immediately took the Nitrous system off and sold it. I wasn't going to reconfigure the whole top end just to accomodate the nitrous. It was fun though, going through the lights at 164 MPH on the wheelie bars.

I put a post in the for sale forum a while back, thinking I might part it out, but all anyone wanted was little stuff. I would consider selling the motor or the rolling chassis separately.

The motor still has more in it too as the sleeves in my APE big block will easily accept a 1327 piston kit.........Now you know why the track announcer called me.......BadBillyB

Comment

Show offs

Ok I heard that..........wait a minute.... I mean I read that :twisted: :twisted:

First Ryan then Billy what's this place coming too .....

My day will come.... I hope ?

So Billy looking at that pick you must of weigh no more than 100 pounds. Wish I could say the same.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

how about an 82 katana chassis with a 1428 wisco motor for a starting point?
                          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Working...
                          X