gsxr conversion parts and upgrade answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
    The Busa wheels should be the same. The axle sizes changed in '88, before taht they use the same size as the GS.
    hmmm not quite fella early water cooled bikes used the same dia wheel spindle as the oil cooled gsxr up to around 92 then they went to the larger spindle on busa's & TL1000 etc, ofsett from steering stem to fork centres & the distance between the fork centres themselves varies as does the disc ofsett

some parts can be mixed & matched but some cant so by far the easiest solution is to use the wheel discs & yokes from the same year as the forks

Comment

90-98 gsxr 1100, 90-95 gsxr 750's are 20mm axles front and back like gs.

busa and srad (96-99 gsxr 750) wheels will not fit with early 90s forks. The rear wheels will not fit either.
      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
        hmmm not quite fella early water cooled bikes used the same dia wheel spindle as the oil cooled gsxr up to around 92 then they went to the larger spindle on busa's & TL1000 etc, ofsett from steering stem to fork centres & the distance between the fork centres themselves varies as does the disc ofsett

some parts can be mixed & matched but some cant so by far the easiest solution is to use the wheel discs & yokes from the same year as the forks
        My bad, I thought I had seen in the past where a few people had used late model wheels with earlier forks. Personally, I kept everything '95 or newer other than the 954 triple.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          My bad, I thought I had seen in the past where a few people had used late model wheels with earlier forks. Personally, I kept everything '95 or newer other than the 954 triple.
          It can be done and it is done on GSXR's, but you will need to change the bearings and pay close attention to what you use as far as rotor offset. You can mix and match quite a bit, but some combo's simply won't work, or require so much to make work that it no longer makes sense to do it. The other problem to get around is the speedo drive if you intend to use stock instruments. The SRAD's and up use electrical senders for the speedos, I'm sure you can work around it, but with other straight spoke wheel options, why bother?

Billy, you are absolutely right, 95 and newer below the trips is pretty much fool proof.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
            I'm glad this thread has been bumped to the top again
            I know, no questions, but I would like to see any tips for:
            * mounting stock headlights and gauge clusters to USD forks.
            * how are you re-working the steering stops on the CBR954 triples?
            * experience with rear-sets, and mounting plates?

Chris W
            IBA #393

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
              Maybe someone else can do the same with late 80's gixxer parts?, late 70's gs's and early 80's 1100E's?, and 1150's?
              I'd love to see some stuff applicable to my '79 GS1000E. I'd like to go with a bolt-on aluminum swingarm, slotted rotors and matching calipers. Prefer bolt-ons.

Comment

I'd like to bump this thread up because there is awesome info in here.
                I also want to ask a few questions as well.

I see that most of these conversions are on bikes older than my year. I have a 85 GS700 and I'm not sure what bikes are equivalent to mine. It seems there are lots of pre-85 750s that are doing this swap and I'm curious if our frames are even similar.

I'm looking to do the more modern GSXR front end swap and also the rear wheel swap
                Does the information for these other bikes apply to my bike? I know nothing as this is my first bike and I love the older bike style with modern parts

Also, the rear wheel swap, am I able to use my stock swingarm or do I have to upgrade to the newer swing arm. My rear tire is in need of replacement, so why not upgrade it in the process?

I appreciate any help and guidance. Thanks
                Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2012, 03:44 AM.

Comment

This is my '83 750 as you probably know is the sister bike to the 700. Early gsxr wheel will fit in stock arm. Mine has 4.5 wheel with 160/60 -17 tire. Front fork is RF900 with (same style as rear wheel) gsxr wheel. Not bolt right up mods but, not major work either. Mine now has swingarm from a '94 1100 gsxr on it now, THAT was major work... If you do a search you'll find a lot of posts on this and other 700/750's modded like this.
                  Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                    This is my '83 750 as you probably know is the sister bike to the 700. Early gsxr wheel will fit in stock arm. Mine has 4.5 wheel with 160/60 -17 tire. Front fork is RF900 with (same style as rear wheel) gsxr wheel. Not bolt right up mods but, not major work either. Mine now has swingarm from a '94 1100 gsxr on it now, THAT was major work... If you do a search you'll find a lot of posts on this and other 700/750's modded like this.
                    Thanks for the info. I'm looking to do the 93-98 gsxr front end because I really like the look of the inverted forks(it's called USD, right?)
                    What rear wheel from which gsxr fits the stock swing arm?

I've done searches but I mostly see older 750s with the dual rear shocks. Not the single shock like ours. I'm not sure if the part swap is the same between them
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

I'm gonna give this thread a bump since I'm really interested in the info it contains. I've been looking into this swap for days and I finally came across some useful information!

*Advice for anyone looking for anything: there's at least one thread for you out there, you just have to be precise with your search words

My bike is a 1980 GS850G and after installing progressive springs and replacing fork seals (which started leaking right away) I'm really considering this upgrade.

It's my understanding that 90-93 GSXR 750 or 1100 forks bolt right on:

But I have a couple of questions:
                      1. The 1980 stock wheel will NOT work on and a wheel corresponding to the year the forks belong to will need to be purchased, correct?
                      2. Does the rear suspension/wheel need to be changed at all? If so, why?
                      3. Will the frame suffer from this upgrade?
                      4. Is a steering damper needed?
                      5. Triple tress no longer include steering stops in the right place and these would have to be cut off and new ones welded into place? I recall seeing that some Honda triples solve this problem but I'd appreciate clarification.

I'm aware that the stock brakes won't work on these forks and that new calipers and rotors will have to be sourced too.

If anyone can answer any of these questions I'd be really grateful. I don't like making uninformed decisions and before pursuing this I'd like to know what I'd be getting myself into!

Comment

im gonna give this a bump b/c im in some need of help and actually started a thread about it. im looking to swap a gs1100 aluminium swing arm in and do an inverted fork set up for the front. any help would be greatly appreciated

Comment

Working...
                        X