gsxr conversion parts and upgrade answers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fast_7 View Post
    you can use any 50mm clipons with the 91-95 750 gsxr front ends as well, 50mm clipons came with the following bikes:

GSXR 750 (91-93, 00-05)
    GSXR 1100 (93-98)

gixxer 750 91-present are all 50mm
    1100 95-98 are 50mm, the 91-94 are 52mm
    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post

Tone, have you tried the Nissin four pot calipers? Do they stop better than the six pots? I have the six pots which are a zillion times better than stock but still not as good as Yamaha four pots I have on my FZ1.
      yes i actually prefer the 4 pots over the 6 pots they give better feel imo & work better for my style of riding, i find the 6 pots to be either on or off & the 4 pots to be more progressive :-D
      Last edited by Guest; 12-02-2007, 04:29 PM.

Comment

suspension swaps

I am new to the board and relatively new to the GS game, however I have completed some work on the suspension of my bike so far. (82 gs1100e) The advice above is great, I have installed an oil cooled GSXR 1100 front end and it was a drop in swap.

If you decide to use a different front end beware of header clearance, a friend has a Ducati Monster fork and tree set-up (on his 82 gs 1100e) and the header had to be "persuaded" with a torch and a pry bar for tire clearance. He is running a V&H side winder. The problem is due to less offset in the trees, it pulls the tire back too far. I have no clearance issues using the same pipe and the 1100 front end. Although I also have a complete 750 front end I haven't tried it yet, so I'm not sure if it hits.

I will be trying a busa front end soon - other than bearings and possible steering stem length issues, I am not sure what I will run into yet. I will advise in the next few weeks.

As for the swingarm, I went the aftermarket route, adjustable +2 to +6". A 6" Hyabusa wheel will fit with a 190 and a 530 chain. I am running a Shinko drag tire and the "stock" rear shocks with a 5/8" offset front sprocket kit, it is tight but works. The tire will interfere with the frame and the tail light at full compression: these are my next fixes.

The stock front brake line will not be long enough going from the GSXR to the GS, you will need longer lines. Also the GS controls did not fit well on the 1100's clip ons, the clip-ons seem to be a larger diameter than the stock handlebar.

:-D Justin

Comment

I can also verify that the 4 pots have better feel. I swapped them onto a ZRX, which had Tokico 6 pots. MUCH better.

Comment

I used a set of 2001 GSXR750 forks, wheel & calipers with a 92 GSXR1100 lower triple & stem, and a CBR954RR upper for the extra drop. This will not work with clip ons as the clearance wouldn't be sufficient. I'm using the 954 upper with conventional bar risers added. These are a mod that I think were developed for stunters. The GSXR1100 lower was too wide an I.D. for the '01 750 forks, and the top end of the steering stem was too narrow just above the top steering bearing. For these 2 issues, I had a friend machine 3 bushings, 2 aluminum for the forks, and one steel for the steering stem, and they worked perfectly. I can get the dimensions again, and post them another time. My mods aren't bolt-on, by any means, and I want to point that out. Additionally, I had the 1100 lower & 954 upper precision measured by laser where I work. The offset was so minimal as to be practially non-exsistant.

As a disclaaimer, I've not had an engine in with a header yet, so clearance is still up in the air (no pun intended). I looks like it should work once there's a tire on the rim, though.

Below are some pics of the bushings & the front end on the bike.

Comment

Are you going to cut a slot in the lower bushings so they can compress enough to clamp the fork leg properly? Cool looking project, I like it when people try different combinations of parts/bikes rather than just following tried & tested mods.

Keep up the good work!

Mark...

Comment

Hi Mark, yes, it's essential that slots are cut in those lower bushings, although the'yre machined to within .001-.0015 of the fork tube. They're actually difficult to get to slide between the forks & lower when I put everything together. It seems like there's enough pinch to hold them, but that's not something you want to mess with when hitting a highway bump doing triple digits. If I line up the slots to the rear you won't be able to see them anyway. I had a guy here on GSR interested in them, and he measured his stock forks against what I got from these (both unsprung during measurement), and he said it's within a half inch. I don't have a stock front end anymore, so I guess I have to believe him. At any rate, the measurement from the top of the "clampable" portion of the fork to the axle centerline is very close to 28.5".

Comment

bump

Bumpity bump!!!

Comment

I'm glad this thread has been bumped to the top again i'd forgotton about it

Question for spdjunkie ........ with those bushings in the lower yoke whats to stop them sliding out in use ? i dont see any sort of fixing & doubt the clamping effect will be enough under hard use.... i may be wrong but its something worth thinking about

Comment

Originally posted by spdjunkie View Post
                      I used a set of 2001 GSXR750 forks, wheel & calipers with a 92 GSXR1100 lower triple & stem, and a CBR954RR upper for the extra drop. This will not work with clip ons as the clearance wouldn't be sufficient. I'm using the 954 upper with conventional bar risers added. These are a mod that I think were developed for stunters. The GSXR1100 lower was too wide an I.D. for the '01 750 forks, and the top end of the steering stem was too narrow just above the top steering bearing. For these 2 issues, I had a friend machine 3 bushings, 2 aluminum for the forks, and one steel for the steering stem, and they worked perfectly. I can get the dimensions again, and post them another time. My mods aren't bolt-on, by any means, and I want to point that out. Additionally, I had the 1100 lower & 954 upper precision measured by laser where I work. The offset was so minimal as to be practially non-exsistant.

As a disclaaimer, I've not had an engine in with a header yet, so clearance is still up in the air (no pun intended). I looks like it should work once there's a tire on the rim, though.

My couple of cents...

Why not use the 954 lower? it is the correct size for the forks and the spindle is correct for the top triple. Also, the 1100 stem offset is not correct for the 954 top triple.
                      As far as the bushings go, there should be a lip on the bottom edge to keep them from migrating up but that being said, the offset is wrong. I know you can make them fit with lose bolts but if you tighten the lower pinch bolts first you will see the stem is mis-aligned.
                      KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

USD GSXR Suspension Upgrade on a 83 GS1100ESD

For those looking at doing the early 90's USD GSXR front and rear upgrade on a 1983 GS1100ESD, Here are my parts list used for my conversion.

You can also find additional info on my conversion on the link below.

Keiichi’s GS1100/ GSXR Conversion Project Cost

1993 Suzuki GSXR 750 forks front end $175.00
                        1993 Suzuki GSXR 750 rear wheel $157.50
                        1993 Suzuki GSXR 750 front wheel $155.25
                        1993 Suzuki GSXR 750 front brake rotors $109.01
                        1993 Suzuki GSXR 750 front brake calipers $28.00
                        1993 Suzuki GSXR 750 front axle $31.00
                        1999 Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD front fender $64.00
                        2006 Suzuki SV650 bar risers $37.00
                        1995 Suzuki GSXR key ignition switch $25.90
                        2001 Bandit 1200 modified swing arm $335.00
                        2001 Bandit 1200 axle, adjusting blocks $30.00
                        2001 bandit 1200 rear brake arm and brake hanger bracket $50.00
                        Custom bushings for swing arm pivot $100.00
                        Dunlop's 208-ZR tires size 120/70/17 and 180/55/17 for $149.00
                        RACETECH FORK SPRINGS $109.99

530 (JTR816 series) 47T Rear Sprocket $31.84
                        530 Chain - RK 120 link 'X' Ring $96.84
                        530 Chain - RK split link 'X' Ring $4.05
                        AFAM 530 Multi Fit C/S – 13M Offset Sprocket $64.16

Comment

Quick question, I picked up a 1996 GSXR 1100 front end, which year wheels will work on the front end? 600, 750..??
                          Will the stops be the same as the preferred 1993 front end?
                          Concerns about SRAD?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
                            Quick question, I picked up a 1996 GSXR 1100 front end, which year wheels will work on the front end? 600, 750..??
                            Will the stops be the same as the preferred 1993 front end?
                            Concerns about SRAD?

Thanks in advance.
                            Pretty much whichever wheels you like the most. You'll need rotors and calipers from the same model. They can be pre SRAD, Srad, or later, but the rotors and calipers need to come from the same range of years.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, aren't though more recent years changed to a larger axle size?

Are Busa wheels the exact same as GSXR's?

Comment

Originally posted by patrickmcp View Post
                                Thanks for the reply, aren't though more recent years changed to a larger axle size?

Are Busa wheels the exact same as GSXR's?
                                The Busa wheels should be the same. The axle sizes changed in '88, before taht they use the same size as the GS.

Comment

Working...
                                X