Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WOW, what a difference changing pilot jets!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOW, what a difference changing pilot jets!!

For weeks now I've been having cold engine drivibility issues after installing a full exhaust on my 1100E. It was a little hard to start, kept stalling, and had a pronounced "hesitation" right off idle for about 1/2 hour after starting. I finally pulled the carbs for the FIFTH time, and went from #45 pilots to #50 pilots. I also adjusted my air screws from 3.5 turns out to 3. After all was back together, it was time for the BIG test, the cold startup! A good crappy raw day to as it was 46F outside. 3/4 choke, and popped the button, the engine immediately roared to life, and maintained a smooth high idle! Now I happy! After about a min. I shut the choke off, and the engine immediately setteled down to a perfect smooth 1200 rpm idle. Blipping the throttle was perfect as well (I could never do this before when cold). I hopefully can go for a ride later this week for a full test. So if any of you have the same behavior as me toss in some richer pilots, you will be amazed how well they smooth out bottom end fuel delivery!

BTW: here is my final, finalized "i'm DONE" jetting specs: #110 mains
    # 50 pilots
    stock needles .020" shimmed
    stock air bleed jets
    drilled bypass slides
    2.5 turns out on the air screws

Right now, i'm riding in temps from 45F to about 70F and this setup seems ideal. I'm not sure come July, but I will post follow ups if I do need to tweak. (I really only anticipate a simple air fuel screw adj. as temps get real warm.
    Last edited by Guest; 05-17-2006, 11:36 AM.

Originally posted by Road_Clam
    For weeks now I've been having cold engine drivibility issues after installing a full exhaust on my 1100E. It was a little hard to start, kept stalling, and had a pronounced "hesitation" right off idle for about 1/2 hour after starting. I finally pulled the carbs for the FIFTH time, and went from #45 pilots to #50 pilots. I also adjusted my air screws from 3.5 turns out to 3. After all was back together, it was time for the BIG test, the cold startup! A good crappy raw day to as it was 46F outside. 3/4 choke, and popped the button, the engine immediately roared to life, and maintained a smooth high idle! Now I happy! After about a min. I shut the choke off, and the engine immediately setteled down to a perfect smooth 1200 rpm idle. Blipping the throttle was perfect as well (I could never do this before when cold). I hopefully can go for a ride later this week for a full test. So if any of you have the same behavior as me toss in some richer pilots, you will be amazed how well they smooth out bottom end fuel delivery!
    Its really nice when the plan comes together and all that effort comes to fruition (-:

Comment

Is 1200 RPM with the choke off a bit high? I know it "cures" some engine and clutch rattles, but I would have thought 900-1000 is more appropriate? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by terry
        Is 1200 RPM with the choke off a bit high? I know it "cures" some engine and clutch rattles, but I would have thought 900-1000 is more appropriate? Cheers, Terry.
        I usually have my 1100E idle around 1200. I think most do here also.
        Could be for the clutch rattle noises or just she seems to run better
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Originally posted by terry

No. The manuall recommends 900-1200 rpm's. I always favor the high side. It starts hot quicker, and with a higher idle you have more oil volume being pumped at idle. This is especially important if you get stuck in traffic on a 85F day)

Comment

Actually, a higher idle is bad for sitting in traffic. Our engines use extrememly low oil pressures, like 4 psi. I keep my idle at 1050 on the nose.

Oh, and by the way Clammer:
            I finally pulled the carbs for the FIFTH time,
            BOO FREAKING HOO! 5 times? Call me when you eclipse 30 and I might have some sympathy for you! (I doubt it though).:shock: :-D
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              Oh, and by the way Clammer:

BOO FREAKING HOO! 5 times? Call me when you eclipse 30 and I might have some sympathy for you! (I doubt it though).:shock: :-D

Learn how to jet, and it will only take you 5 tries! Don't get frustrated, just PM me if you need some schooling on jetting! (just breaking your ballz dude!)

Comment

Learn how to jet, and it will only take you 5 tries! Don't get frustrated, just PM me if you need some schooling on jetting! (just breaking your ballz dude!)

At least I have the "faster" black engine 1100E!\\/
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

At least I have the "faster" black engine 1100E!
                  BURN\\/ \\/ :-\"
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

You guys are scaring me...
                    1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars
                      You guys are scaring me...
                      You should see us when we actually start arguing.

While I am here, I took the Clam bike to work today to further shake down my jetting (and my gearing change), and I must proudly say, I have this bike DIALED in SWEET. I am done tinkering!! The engine starts and runs perfect, and the bike handles perfect! Now it's time for some much deserved payback......... in the form of just RIDING the dam thing!
                      Rich

Comment

While I am here, I took the Clam bike to work today to further shake down my jetting (and my gearing change), and I must proudly say, I have this bike DIALED in SWEET. I am done tinkering!! The engine starts and runs perfect, and the bike handles perfect! Now it's time for some much deserved payback......... in the form of just RIDING the dam thing!
                        Rich

Good for you Rich.
                        At least you could get out and ride. Hopefully the roads open up around here soon.
                        Most of the good backroads are closed due to flooding
                        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                        2000 Kawasaki Concours
                        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

At least I have the "faster" black engine 1100E!\\/
                          Yeah, these "Black" engines are weird fast. Especially when they have chrome pipes :twisted:

Comment

Rich

Rock on Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                              Yeah, these "Black" engines are weird fast. Especially when they have chrome pipes :twisted:

Black......schmack...... it's NOT the color of the engine that makes a bike fast........... It's the color of the seat........ (oops, wait that's black too) ahhhh forget it I friggin give up!

Comment

Working...
                              X