My GS1100 Oil cooler conversion with pics:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS1100 Oil cooler conversion with pics:

Well I finally got all the components assembled on the oil cooler conversion. The most difficult part of the conversion was modifying the 1150 oil cooler cover to safely accept the 3/8" NPT hose barbs. I had to weld up near the bottom of the plate to effectively add some thickness material so as to allow a good, secure tap. The second issue was after welding the plate, it warped. luckily not much (about .021). I was very concerned the cover o-ring would leak. I fly cut the backside of the plate to within .005. All is fine, and NO leaks. The really cool thing about the Lockhart cooler I purchased is that it has an internal thermostat, so it will only circulate when needed. The box said for "most european twin cylinder engine bikes". It was definately kinda' a universal kit. I also had to custom fab an adapter bracket to bolt the cooler to the frame of my GS (I mounted it to the 2 M8 tapped holes for the horns). I know the hoses are criss crossed, but they can only go a certain way so as the let the thermostat work properly. Heres some pics:

Last edited by Guest; 05-18-2006, 06:49 AM.

Cool, man......may I ask the reason you did'nt use the provided tapped outlets...I am guessing the Lockhart cooler came with hose/fitings that were'nt compatible. I used the whole 1150 cooler/hose set-up with the 1150 cover....only needed to make an aluminum bracket to bolt it on.....no thermostat though. I have difficulty getting the oil filter out past the header pipes without unhooking the cooler hose, due to the routing...with your set-up, you will avoid that problem.

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
    Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Thats really cool. Always wanted to get this on my GS750E-1981. How much did it totally cost ?

Is there anything to be considered before moving ahead. Secondly, Since the Cooler so high up and is getting pushed from way down from the bottom of the airfilter - is there enough pressure to drive the oil all the way up ?

Thanks
      Anik

Comment

Clammer, I as well am wondering why you didn't use the built in oil cooler taps?
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I'm confused. Exactly which "taps" are you guys reffering to? When you purchase the 1150 filter cover it does NOT come "pre tapped". The 1150's oil coolers were fed through banjo style lines. The 2 large bolts thet are near the cover are whats used factory to feed the oil cooler on the 1150's.

Comment

Originally posted by anikmankar
            Thats really cool. Always wanted to get this on my GS750E-1981. How much did it totally cost ?

Is there anything to be considered before moving ahead. Secondly, Since the Cooler so high up and is getting pushed from way down from the bottom of the airfilter - is there enough pressure to drive the oil all the way up ?

Thanks
            Anik
            You are confusing me too. the "bottom of the airfilter" ??? I don't know what you are asking me.

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam
              The 2 large bolts thet are near the cover are whats used factory to feed the oil cooler on the 1150's.
              Right, that's how I hooked mine up. Does the Lockheart cooler use lines that don't work with the large banjo bolts?
              Currently bikeless
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                Right, that's how I hooked mine up. Does the Lockheart cooler use lines that don't work with the large banjo bolts?
                No kidding?? I didn't know it could be done that way. The lockhart's lines are 3/8" hose. So all's I did was purchase a brass 3/8 NPT to 3/8 hose 90 degree barb. How did you connect your cooler hose? You cant buy the 1150 factory lines anymore. Did you find a used setup?

Comment

No kidding?? I didn't know it could be done that way. The lockhart's lines are 3/8" hose. So all's I did was purchase a brass 3/8 NPT to 3/8 hose 90 degree barb. How did you connect your cooler hose? You cant buy the 1150 factory lines anymore. Did you find a used setup?
                  Yeah, mine is an 1150 cooler with the stock lines and bolts. I had to buy an 1150 filter cover with the smaller oil port (you know about that, right?) and good to go. The lines came with huge 21mm banjo bolts that fit right into where those two dummy bolts go. It's really clean, I just had to fabricate a rack to mount the cooler itself on.
                  Currently bikeless

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    I had to buy an 1150 filter cover with the smaller oil port (you know about that, right?)
                    Yup. I was able to drill and tap the 1150 cover so as to accept 3/8 NPT, and not disrupt the special "1150 only" bypass cavity. I went as far as to test the flow, and about 5 seconds after I fired my engine , out came the oil flowing at a pretty good clip.

Comment

KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what type, and thread size are the 2 oil galley bolts that are next to the o/f cover?

Comment

Originally posted by anikmankar

Thanks
                          Anik
                          Cost would depend on how much you end up paying for a cooler and modified oil filter cover...I don't think the 750's come stock with the provision of oil cooler outlets. Your best bet would be to look for the whole set-up on ebay or here on the GSR. Do a search...there is an Aussie member named Terry who sells the hardware to mod some of the GS'S to accept a cooler...by all accounts, his stuff is top-notch. Pressure is not an issue....the pump has sufficient pressure to send oil up to the cooler.....the 750 oil pump gears I'm running in my 1100 supposedly increase the flow by 30%.

Tony.
                          '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
                          Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what type, and thread size are the 2 oil galley bolts that are next to the o/f cover?
                            They are 14mm x 1.5 pitch. I can get the AN fittings that fit for 20.00 pair. The same as that is on my bike in the pic above if anyone wants them.
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

They are 14mm x 1.5 pitch. I can get the AN fittings that fit for 20.00 pair. The same as that is on my bike in the pic above if anyone wants them.
                              Is there a way to use less expensive line (I don't need to dress mine up, I just want it reliable and cool :-))? I also plan on installing a thermostat in line to the cooler, could this be done with hoses like yours?

Comment

Working...
                              X