My GS1100 Oil cooler conversion with pics:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbutler455 View Post
    OK, as I understand it. For my 82 GS1000SV Katana, I track down a complete 1150 (year?) banjo bolt / braided SS oil line / oil filter cover / and oil cooler. I would need to fabricate attachment brackets for the cooler. The oil lines go to banjo bolts that replace the big bolts on the sides of the filter cover. The one on the right is output.

Do I have it right?
    Nothing to do with you mods, I thought I should point out that a 1982 GS1000s is an SZ not an SV, see my sig line.

Dink

Comment

[QUOTE=Tom MLC;444867]
      Then I heard through the GSR about Terry's adapter. I decided to go that way. I haven't installed his unit yet, but it looks terrific. Nice craftsmanship. It will replace the oil pressure sensor plate below the cam tensioner. Comes with all hardware for mounting, including a gasket, and barbed fittings for oil in & out. With Terry's adapter, and the oil cooler mounted "upside down" I plan to route my lines (steel braided push on - with pinch clamps) through the frame and over the top of the motor like renobruce did.
      [QUOTE]

Thanks for the wrap, how'd you go Tom? I've been busy making adapters for Honda CB750's and I've just started making 6061 T6 billet fork braces, but now the sun is back out here (was 97 Degrees F at 6pm last night) I'm off the BMW and back on to my GS1000S.

Re: the comments about braided hose vs rubber transmission hose, I suppose the braided is useful as extra protection from rocks and heat from the exhaust headers if you're running your lines from the front of your engine, but with my adapter at the rear of the cylinder block with the hoses routed up and over, braided lines are more aesthetically pleasing than necessary.

Good quality transmission hose is 3 or 4 mm thick, and rated to a couple of hundred psi, so is plenty durable enough if you use my adapter. Of course, I'm more than happy to tap my adapters for AN fittings if someone prefers them. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

oil cooler fitting

Terry, can I get a picture of your adapter installed? Go I still need the 1150 oil filter cover?

Comment

Brock, you will not need the 1150 oil filter cover with Terry's adapter. Here's a pic with it installed on my 1100. Sorry, the quality of the pic is not too good. I'll get better shots this winter when I do a top end re-build. As you can see, I used too much gasket goop! As for Terry's part, the quality is top notch!

Comment

Geez that's a nice looking engine Tom, how about posting a pic of the rest of your bike? Thanks for posting that pic, I think that'll answer a couple of questions I've just received from other GSR members.

The price of my adapter (complete with gasket, screws, hose fittings etc) is $75.00 US, and I can tap it for an oil temp sender for another $10.00. Airmail Shipping to the US or Canada is $20.00, or $25.00 to Britain and Europe. Cheers, Terry

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
              Geez that's a nice looking engine Tom, how about posting a pic of the rest of your bike? Thanks for posting that pic, I think that'll answer a couple of questions I've just received from other GSR members.
              Thanks mate. Check out the BOM for August. I put in a good word for you! Lots of before & after pics in my sig, too.

For your adapter, I'll probably switch to AN fittings & braided lines this winter. I'll try to remember to send you a few pics.

Comment

Terry, I was wondering if your adapter would also work on a 1983 GS-650-GD?

I have been thinking of putting an oil cooler on it, but unless your adapter works on it, I dont think there is any other way of doing it on a 650.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Daniel View Post
                  Terry, I was wondering if your adapter would also work on a 1983 GS-650-GD?

I have been thinking of putting an oil cooler on it, but unless your adapter works on it, I dont think there is any other way of doing it on a 650.

Thank you very much.
                  G'Day Chris, no worries mate, does the 650 have an oil pressure switch plate behind the cylinder block like the 750-1150? I think it does, I'm sure I sold one of my adapters to a GSR member with a 550 a while ago, and so i presume it was common on all models? If it does, then my adapter will work for you too! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
                    Thanks mate. Check out the BOM for August. I put in a good word for you! Lots of before & after pics in my sig, too.

For your adapter, I'll probably switch to AN fittings & braided lines this winter. I'll try to remember to send you a few pics.
                    OK Tom, thanks for that, I'll check it out! Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Well, unfortunatly the 650's (or at least my 650) does not have anything below the chain tensioner. I believe the sending unit for the oil pressure light is located somewhere on the bottom of the engine on my 650. So that idea is shot LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Daniel View Post
                        Well, unfortunatly the 650's (or at least my 650) does not have anything below the chain tensioner. I believe the sending unit for the oil pressure light is located somewhere on the bottom of the engine on my 650. So that idea is shot LOL.
                        Look on the oil filter cover. I think you will find the oil pressure sensor there. That doesn't help with regards to finding a source for positive pressure for an oil cooler. Hopefully someone else has figured it out and can enlighten you. You might try the search tool, or start another post and ask questions specific to your model.

Comment

Did you sell one to Japan?

Originally posted by terry View Post

The price of my adapter (complete with gasket, screws, hose fittings etc) is $75.00 US, and I can tap it for an oil temp sender for another $10.00. Airmail Shipping to the US or Canada is $20.00, or $25.00 to Britain and Europe. Cheers, Terry
                          Terry,
                          Look what I found on the Yoshimura-JP website. You aren't the only one who thinks the oil lines should attach behind the cylinders.

Comment

G'Day Brock, I just replied to your PM, geez, isn't that a magnificent Kat? Beautiful! Well I have to say that I didn't have the original idea of placing the adapter behind the cylinder block though, Derale, Lockhart and Earls were all doing that long before I bought my first GS1000 12 years ago, but when I think about the pros and cons of each option, it does make sense to me, for sure. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

I fitted Lockhart oil coolers to two GSs.

One was a model 600 fitted to an 850/1100G. I used the supplied adapter plate for the low pressure warning light switch, and routed the hoses behind the airbox and then forward along the frame, to keep them away from the engine.

The other was a model 700, without thermostat, fitted to a 1000S eight-valve, when I lived in Florida. I rigged it the same as the G, and moved the oil temperature sensor to the oil filter cover.

It worked well until I moved to Ohio and rode all winter long. Even with a cover over the cooler, the oil temperature tended to be too low, and after a couple of years, the starter clutch bearing on the left end of the crankshaft failed. I suspect it may be because of poor oil circulation due to insufficient temperature. Maybe not, but I strongly recommend using a thermostat in any case.

On both bikes, I used rubber transmission cooler hose, and replaced it every two years.

Comment

Thermostat for oil cooler

Lockhart-Phillips no longer makes the oil cooler, but they DO make an external thermostat, I believe the part # is BP 180 (used mostly by Harleys), as in 180 degrees Fahrenheit, which is the point at which it opens and allows oil into the cooler. Otherwise it bypasses the cooler. It installs in both the supply and return line, so oil DOES flow UP as far as the thermostat all the time, only into the cooler above the specified temp. I had a NOS Lockhart from back in the day that got "lost" at my dad's house back in 1979, and I bought another Lockhart that had the thermostat built in that I installed on my 1977 GS 750, which I had to sell when my oldest daughter was 18 mos. old. I found the non-thermostat shortly after, and used it on my 1978 GS 750 (with the external themostat) that I got about 10 years ago. The directions on the cooler suggested running the lines BELOW the engine along the frame rails, but I did't like that idea, so I also ran the lines over the engine like many others here; it also keeps the oil from cooling unnecessarily when the thermo is closed, as the lines get some heat from the engine, and are shielded from the wind by the tank. Works great!
                                1979 GS 1000

Comment

Working...
                                X