exhaust bolts stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

exhaust bolts stuck

I have a 82 gs1100l, I was trying to remove the exhaust to repair it and I broke three of the eight header bolts. There is between 1/4 and 3/8 inch of exposed bolt. What is the best way to remove them. Should I heat them up before I try a bolt extractor or will the steel bolt and aluminum head make this more difficult?

Some things you can try is spray on a penetrating ion activated lube like Castle Thrust before trying to get em out, use a bolt extractor, try vice grips, or use an angle grinder to slot a slot in the bolt and use a screw driver.... shouldn't be THAT hard...

Comment

A good penetrent let them soak,try tightening just a bit and then try to loosen them.Sometimes just getting threads to move in any direction gets them moving in both.Don

Comment

PB Blaster- that stuff is like gold, man.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have had good luck heating the head a bit with asmall torch to loosen any gunk in the threads and to swell the aluminum up a bit.
          IF you have acess to awelder, i can't tell you how nice it is to tack on a nut and just back the sucker out with a socket. :-D

Comment

I gotta vouch for PB Blaster...that stuff loosens stuck bolts like that's its job...(oh wait....)

Comment

ANOTHER solid vote for PB Blaster. Luckily I had read ALL the horror stories about the imfamous "seized" exhaust flange bolts. I sprayed mine on a daily basis, and let them just sit for about 2 weeks. All my bolts came out with minimal force.

Comment

once you get them out...put some antiseize on them....

Comment

Or just get some studs 8?x1.25x50mm

Comment

Oh the never ending pain of removing stuck or broken bolts... When I first got my bike (2001) I was in such a hurry that I sprayed a little WD-40 on the bolts and tried taking them right out.... bad idea as I broke 3 of the 4 bolt heads off in the head. Then I thought I could get the "EZ-Out" tool from Sears... what a misnomer (when used incorrectly ). Broke the EZ-Out off in the bolt stud... from here I had to take it to a shop have it drilled out and heli-coils put in. All-in-all about $85 for the job that could have been avoided had I purchased some good penetrating oil and taken my time.

I have since become a self proclaimed "master" at removing stuck bolts with the help of a good penetrating oil (another vote for PB Blaster) and patience. If a bolt is stuck do NOT force it, use the oil, take your time. 1/2 turn out, 1/4 turn in (lube it up), 1/2 turn out (that's only if it's sticks the whole way out) sometimes once they break free they come out with your fingers.

I have also had bolts act very funny (as if mocking me).... First it sticks like a sun-of-a-gun...work slowly at it... then snap there goes the bolt head... CURSE CURSE CURSE....when I calm down and investigate the damage what is left of the bolt twists right out with my hand.... I think the MC gods are toying with me :-D

Remember you cannot rush a good thing, and a bolt coming out in one piece is a good thing!!!

Been there, broken that, had to learn to fix it! Thanks GSR!!!

Good Luck!!!

Comment

Yeah that PB blaster is like MAGIC! POOF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X