Tired of air shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tired of air shocks

I'm wanting to ditch the air-shocks on my GS1100GK. I'm told I can retrofit rear shocks off a Yamah XS1100. Anyone ever tried something like this? I'm just tired of fiddling with the air pressure to make the bike handle hard corners better. The tail tends to wobble if both sides aren't exactly balanced.

I made a tool for just that purpose. I took 2 clamp on chucks(like from a bike tire pump) hooked them into a T fitting and added a tire valve to the other part of the T. This way I inflate and balance both shocks at the same time. Ohh, I also put a small ball valve between each chuck and the T. That way you don't leak air while one is off.

BJ.

Comment

Kool idea

I like your idea. focus frenzy did something just like that with his front forks. I just don't want to have to put air in anything but my tires but, I must admit your solution appears to involve the least expense. Can't hurt to try it.

Comment

You can use an air-shock line kit, available at any auto parts store, and it works pretty much the same way. Havent messed with mine for some time. Air them and forget it...
        Last edited by Guest; 06-04-2006, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Is the GK a eye to eye shock? If that is the case and the shocks are something like 13" long then look up shocks from the Honda GL1100 and CB900/1000. The system that Honda built was a line running from each shock into a manifold under the left side cover. The manifold also has a valve stem on it so you check/add air at that point. This has the benifit that as the system loses air both shocks stay balanced. If you don't want air then get some progressive shocks in the rear. Just a simple swap from the stock units and you are done. And you get new parts, so you don't have to worry if the shocks are worn out.

Comment

Tom, do you ever get a bounce/wobble when turning tight at 65-70 mph? That is what I am trying to stop. Maybe the bike is just too heavy to ride the way I want to. Got my eye on a '90 1100 Katana out in California.

And yes, quakeholio they are eye to eye shocks. I think the dimension is 13 inches. I priced Progressive shocks and nearly fainted, however they are 1/2 inch shorter which, given my inseam measurement, is a good thing. Lets see, how much $$$ do I have?
            Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2006, 11:57 PM.

Comment

I have run an airline balance kit on my 78 GS1000 for 26 years or so. removes the need to balance the air. The parts come straight from a car store that sells air lift shocks for towing. I have run Fournales air shocks for 22 years with zero problems. The standard air shocks on the Suzuki are not great, tried some for a while and chucked them out. Nothing was right about them.

Comment

Working...
              X