Auto Oiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Oiler

You shafty guys can just go away now, nothing to see here, move on.

Now that we got those guys out of the way... I'm working on an automatic chain oiler design. Similar to the ones you can find online for $150+, most notably the Scott Oiler. It's starting to come together, but haven't taken any pics yet. The part I love the most is the reservoir. I took the brake torque arm off, sealed up a couple holes on the ends, drilled a hole for the exit tube, and welded up a small filler tube. So the reservoir takes up 0 room, and looks pretty much stock to the untrained eye. It also will hold 300~400cc of oil I think, though I haven't measured it for an exact quanity. From there it will go thru a electric solenoid valve, and then a needle valve, before going to a bracket that clamps to the swing arm, and will hold the oil tube. Right now, it's a single oil tube, but I may make it a dual feed that puts oil on the chain ring just before hitting the chain. Centrifugal force will take care of the rest.

I'll be finishing up the initial build of this shortly, and then testing it out, I ride a bit over 400mi per week, in all sorts of conditions, so I should be able to test it, and refine it pretty quickly.

I'm also wondering if there is any interest in buying something like this, the current one I'm working on is for an 1100, but changing the dimentions of the torque arm would be all that's needed to adapt to another bike. The only requirement is that the torque arm be above the swing arm, not below. With the exception of drum brake bikes, and custom setups, I think above is the stock location for GSs. When I finish it up, I'll post some pics.

I'm interested Luke!

Comment

How do you monitor the oil level so you'll know when to add more? custom site glass in the arm or just guestimating the need from time to time?

Nice idea!

Comment

For now, I'm going the guestimate route, if my calcs are right, if I top it off once a month I'll be fine. I've read that a 400cc reservoir on the scott oiler will last 4,000+ miles.

Comment

Thats pretty cool! I'm considering something like this on my Strom. There's plenty of room to put a resevoir under the rack.

I'm gonna use either ATF or chainsaw oil. Both of these prevent the scungy buildup on your chain....

Comment

I use Maxima Chain Wax :mrgreen:

Cool idea Luke. Be sure to patent it!

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
              Thats pretty cool! I'm considering something like this on my Strom. There's plenty of room to put a resevoir under the rack.

I'm gonna use either ATF or chainsaw oil. Both of these prevent the scungy buildup on your chain....
              Where can I find the instructions on that oiler? I like it.

Comment

Bingo!

OK boys! I did it!

I used an old rear brake fluid revervoir and bolted it under the seat, (drill a small breather hole in the lid). Plastic tubing to a needle valve zap-strapped to the frame. Tubing along the swing arm to an old steel brake line off a dead car. Routed through the axle hole and aimed at the chain/sprocket. Pinched/crimped the brake line to regulate the flow to 1 drop every 30 seconds, (Takes some tinkering).
                Works awesome, so far...

Total cost: $6.75 CAN

The valve doesn't stop the drip altogether, but it slows it enough that you won't lose your supply overnight.

Anyone wants pics I'll start a new thread. Let me know.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-10-2006, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Hmm... what do u do when you're not moving... ?
                  1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by brveagle
                    Hmm... what do u do when you're not moving... ?
                    Take confidence that your chain is still being oiled.

I've been watching this thread cause I'm interested in the whole idea, as I'll probably be running a chain sooner or later (even though I've been shafted and love it). Some pics would be nice. I do have a CM400A that might get a mod like this.

Comment

It would'nt be too difficult to install a manual shut-off valve somewhere in-line for this system, to be turned on as needed. Otherwise, you are sure to leave oil stains everywhere you park for more than a few minutes....'hardley' typical of a GS!

Tony.
                      '82 GS1100E

Comment

How about a vacuum or solenoid-operated valve?

Something ripped from a junk washing machine would be in the proper spirit of this endeavor...
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                          Something ripped from a junk washing machine would be in the proper spirit of this endeavor...
                          I love that sentiment, Brian (but then I AM "Inspector Gadget" to my friends)!!

Comment

My 66 Triumph had an automatic chain oiler. Small drip tube that fed from the oil pump. Slung oil everywhere. Now days I have O ringed chains on everything except the drag bike. Life is much simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
                              OK boys! I did it!

I used an old rear brake fluid revervoir and bolted it under the seat, (drill a small breather hole in the lid). Plastic tubing to a needle valve zap-strapped to the frame. Tubing along the swing arm to an old steel brake line off a dead car. Routed through the axle hole and aimed at the chain/sprocket. Pinched/crimped the brake line to regulate the flow to 1 drop every 30 seconds, (Takes some tinkering).
                              Works awesome, so far...

Total cost: $6.75 CAN

The valve doesn't stop the drip altogether, but it slows it enough that you won't lose your supply overnight.

Anyone wants pics I'll start a new thread. Let me know.
                              Make a plug for the vent hole. It may not stop it but will slow it down while not riding/parked.

Comment

Working...
                              X