No announcement yet.

How quick is your GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a progressive box would make an unbelieveable difference. you coukd get into the spray in 2nd gear when you could use some power instead of having to wait for 3rd for the bike to be controllable.

yeah a good little rider would probably go .40s easy. Probably quicker

Comment

I have finally got into the big bad world of drag racing. So far I've got an 8.6 on the 1/8 mile @ 83mph. I figure the bike/rider weight is about 800lbs. I'm addicted to it now, and will be going back with some gearing changes, so we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
        I have finally got into the big bad world of drag racing. So far I've got an 8.6 on the 1/8 mile @ 83mph. I figure the bike/rider weight is about 800lbs. I'm addicted to it now, and will be going back with some gearing changes, so we'll see.
        from your p.m. you sent me I can tell you that your 60 ft time will fall quickly. also were you leaving on the last yellow?

Comment

I was leaving on the last yellow. I was having a hard time finding that sweet spot where you don't quite wheelie off the line, but have full power going forward. I need to try that rachet strap trick to help on that. What is a good 60ft time to shoot for anyway? I figured with my weight, and the fact that I'm running a 700 instead of an 1150 2 sec may be all I would get.

Comment

the 60 ft time is usually were you are slipping your clutch. you will find that the point were you have the cluctch engaged and have stopped slipping it is not that far from 60ft.so as you get more rpm and and less wheelie and practise the 60 ft will fall. it always falls as you perfect your launch. on my kz 650 i was doing 1.80 60fts on the 1150 not that much better , a best of 1.58 and an average of 1.70 my first day on the 650 I was in the 2 sec range and the first day on the 1150 i was 1.90 your times will fall.

Comment

That sounds very promising, now for the fun part, practicing. :twisted:

Comment

Don't know my 1/4 or 1/8 times on the 77 gs550 but its fast enough so far to dust a new BMW M3, Cobra Stang, A few Benzos and a 928. I like to dust the $$$ rides......I felt like a rock star with my 51 hp 8) idling down.........

Comment

So I went to the 1/8 mile again on Thursday. This time I dropped my sprocket to a 13 tooth up front. I found that my times didn't really change a whole lot. By the end of the day I was running in the 8.5-8.6 area, about a 1/10th of a second faster then my previous round with a 14 tooth sprocket. I think the 1/10th had more to do with practice then gearing though. I was able to get to the end of 3rd as I crossed the line, instead of just having to shift to 3rd before crossing. Shouldn't the gearing have made a bigger difference?

Comment

Rule of thumb is if you have the HP to pull the higher gear do so. If you really get into drag racing heavy always make sure in the quarter you go through the traps at redline in 5th gear. By doing so you stay at maximum rpm and hp through the run longer.

Comment

ya ill race you... on my 86 interceptor 1000 still u might woop me

Comment

86 VF1000 was a nice ride, I remember it well. A little heavy, but aimed more for Europe and high speed Autobahn riding, it was not very popular in the US with the squids. My kind of sport tourer though, smooth and fast with long legs-kind of like a good woman. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

My best 1/8 mile ET is 7.48 at 93 mph on a 82 1100E. I would like to break 100 mph someday.

Jake
                          1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                          1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                          1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                          1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                          01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Working...
                          X