No announcement yet.

Whats lighter? Mags or Spoked wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats lighter? Mags or Spoked wheels.

Originally posted by ChechenHazat
    In the quest to shave as much weight as possible from my bike im thinking of different wheels. Are the 750E mag wheels lighter than the spoked wheels?

Also has anyone had any luck in removing a considerable amount of weight from thier bike? Ive removed some things and lost 11lbs so far but i would like to loose at least 30.

_M
    Maybe you'll get some tips from this...I saved 55 pounds total weight.
    Heavy things are centerstand, footresthangers, headlightholders and front fender amongst others.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0PgDeAnYSHjyf!!2Bo2UHkkJAmkmco29AETIsrvw8MYa6T*LUM qehPUYNOpEgt!zce8xcKQ5nvdtyiDX*UbojhkQy2dnlabsG/cr2.jpg?dc=4675386296634925235[/img]

Comment

Robinjo, that is a sharp ride you've put together. Did you move the electrics (reg/rectifier, starter solenoid and fuse box) under the seat? Any problems with battery box and curbs, etc.? I especially like the overall clean look you've achieved. Nice.

Comment

I remember way back in 1978 when comparing weights of brand new GS750's. The bikes with the spoke wheels weighed in less than the ones with the mag wheels.
        Roman

Comment

Originally posted by massakins
          Robinjo, that is a sharp ride you've put together. Did you move the electrics (reg/rectifier, starter solenoid and fuse box) under the seat? Any problems with battery box and curbs, etc.? I especially like the overall clean look you've achieved. Nice.
          Thanx for the compliment! yes I put the elctronics under the seat, I didn't have any problems with the battery box and curbs, it looks a little olw in the pic because it's on the sidestand. I did use a battery that is about 1 inch lower then the stock one.

Comment

Spoked wheels are lighter than standard mags, at least back in the days of the GS. I have a few seta of factory mags, a set of 18" Acront alloys on the bike and a 19" steel spoked wheel (of a waterbottle I used to have no less..fits straight on!). The steel rim spoked wheel is not as light.

If you really want to know, I can weigh the steel and mag 19" front wheels.

Also, the brake discs are very heavy (I have a few sets of those too!). I am using a set of GS1100 drilled disks, much lighter.

Comment

Weight of rims

Spoke wheels will aways be heaver than mags due to the fact the have a tube inside. But are better looking, more durable, more versatile(rim width& size),but harder to clean specially when you have polished rims and stainless spokes.

Comment

robinjo - Beautiful bike and it looks like you are still using the stock steel rims? What "bumstop" seat did you use for your cafe special?

Comment

robinjo - Beautiful bike and it looks like you are still using the stock steel rims? What "bumstop" seat did you use for your cafe special?

Comment

I used some spoked wheels from a GS 1000, as they have aluminum rims vs. the 750's steel. I drilled out the front disc myself, and used a slotted Katana rear disc. Saved a little weight. Perhaps if I stay out of McDonald's I can save alot more!
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

The old GS style aluminum mag wheels are HEAVY. The new GSXR style are much lighter. Of course you have to do some other work to use 'em.

Comment

AWESOME ROBINJO!!!!!
                        I love the look of Cafe racers , nice job!

My Katana has spokes and they are heavier than mags. I've used heavy gauge spokes though.

cheers Katana

Comment

spokes v mag

The GS oem spoke wherels were lighter than the oem mags. The latest oem mag wheel assemblies are surprisingly light considering the size of the tires and brakes they incorporate. the current oem mag wheel assemblies are definately lighter than gs oem spoke wheel assemblies.

Comment

Working...
                          X