'82 Katana project complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 Katana project complete

Over the winter months there was a project brewing away here in rainy Vancouver, BC. I am happy to say that it is now out on the road and being run-in for some redline-ready-riding! What started as a non-running 750 is now a very modified 1166. I want to thank 2 people here. This project would not have been possible without the talents of one of our fellow GSRs members and Kat owner. Some of you may know him and many of you will have read the knowledgeable and balanced posts of Katman. He supplied the donor chassis, sourced all of the parts and dug deep into his vast Katana and motorcycle experience and know-how to make this bike a reality. The other person I want to thank is a guy I work with. Mike is a suzuki owner (V-Strum)and is skilled in the preparation, spraying and color matching of motorcycle panels. His secret wish is to own a Goldwing, but given the great job he did on my Kat I will forgive him. To you both, a big thanks!

Now, on with the story!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2006, 11:22 PM.

Here is how it all started, a non-runner in pretty poor shape. Main thing was that the frame was sound.

Comment

First step, strip all parts from the frame and decide on bracing.
      BTW - an excellent guide on bracing Katana frames is available at http://oldskoolsuzuki.info
      Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2006, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Once sorted, the welding was done and checked. The welding you can see at the bottom right hand corner was a small repair done at the same time.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-16-2006, 08:05 PM.

Comment

looks nice with the powder coating huh?

Comment

The whole frame came up pretty nicely in fact.

Comment

Are you going to powder coat the swingarm?
              Nice work so-far :thumbs.up:

Comment

If I had kept the standard arm then that would have been a reasonable styling move. I went with a 1200 Bandit arm, I will post some more pics next week.

Originally posted by mlaalm
                Are you going to powder coat the swingarm?
                Nice work so-far :thumbs.up:

Comment

Katanarama, do you want to sell the swing arm. I'm looking for an alum twin shock swing arm for my '79 GS1000.

Comment

Sure, but keep in mind that the Kat arm accepts clevis type shocks.
                    Katman now has the arm, mail him at stunts@telus.net for details.

Originally posted by jkevbriggs1
                    Katanarama, do you want to sell the swing arm. I'm looking for an alum twin shock swing arm for my '79 GS1000.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by clevis. The stock GS1000 shock has a hole at the top that slides over a stud, and the bottom has has a U shaped piece that slides over a boss on the swing arm.

However, I have some ZRX shocks that have the round eye at both ends. The picture of the powder coated frame looks like the shocks have the round eye at both ends also which would work for me.

Can you explain further?

Comment

clevis = U shaped piece

Comment

Back to the swinging arm. 20 years ago with a reported 108bhp at the crank, the bike's handling was described as 'interesting at higher speeds'. In other words a nasty weave. The standard Katana arm is rather flimsy and is the next thing needing and increase in rigidity. A bandit 1200 swinging arm has been a popular and successful upgrade. This picture shows the standard arm in front of the bandit number.

Comment

The underside of the Kat arm shows just how flimsy this thing is, having a finish like a pressed tin can.

The alloy blocks taped to the ends of the bandit arm will be welded in place for the rear shocks.

Comment

On with the bandit arm, wiring & cabling. A set of GSX-R forks, yokes, wheels & brakes should improve things in the handling department.

Comment

Working...
                              X