On view: 1980 Yoshimura GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On view: 1980 Yoshimura GS1000

In the July issue of Motorcyclist ($3.99 US), pages 74 through 83, there's an interesting look at the primitive world of 1980 Superbike racing, featuring a brutally stripped-down GS1000 Wes Cooley rode to beat Spencer and Lawson.

In the picture on pages 74 and 75, note the upper shock mount has been moved so as to create a 54-degree angling of the rear shocks. In stock configuration, the shock on my GS 1000 looks to be mounted at closer to a 75 or 80 degree angle. My question for suspension experts out there is, how does this affect the handling?

A second question to ponder: the upper shock mount on Cooley's bike is part of a gusset welded to the frame for stiffening purposes. Might not such a modification on a street-going GS make for a more solid rear end and overall improved handling? A Motorcyclist staffer rode the old beast and commented that it was "long, low, stable and plenty controllable, even at full-honk speeds."
    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Moving the rear shock mount is done for two reasons.
    1. To raise rear ride hieght and transfer weight forward.
    2. angling the shock is supposed to produce a "rising rate type effect, which wasn't particularly effective as it mostly led to more stichion (binding in the shocks action)
    Dink

Comment

I believe dirt bikes used this in the 70's to increase overall rear suspension travel, too.

Comment

I would like to get hold of a copy of this mag but cant get it in UK shops :-(
        Could any US members help me out? I have a paypal account so can send cash that way, happy to pay cost, postage and a little on top for your trouble.

Cheers,
        Mark...

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
          Moving the rear shock mount is done for two reasons.
          1. To raise rear ride hieght and transfer weight forward.
          Don't forget raising the rear ride height also steepens the steering head angle too.

Comment

If anyone can find the time to help with the above please send me a pm.

Regards,
            Mark...

Comment

Originally posted by pan
              If anyone can find the time to help with the above please send me a pm.

Regards,
              Mark...
              I'll see if I can find it later today.

Comment

Don't forget raising the rear ride height also steepens the steering head angle too.
                Which quickens the steering...

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                  I'll see if I can find it later today.
                  KGB has mailed me saying he has a spare copy, if you have bought one I will of course still have it but if not I thank you for your help.

Regards,
                  Mark...

Comment

I bought the GS magazine reprints from Ian Smith a number of years ago. A part of the package was a reprint of the Cooly/Yoshimura bike. The shock angle IS altered, but the forks are lengthened 3". The angle was likely changed to accomidate the increased ride height.

Allen Dye

Comment

These bikes look great in person. And Oshea is quite a nice guy. Plus nothing better than the sound of a GS1000 with an virtually unbaffled can.

Picture from Jennings GP 2004

Comment

And they are fun to ride!!
                        Here's mine............again and again.......\\/
                        Keith
                        -------------------------------------------
                        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

And again, this is with the superbike seat on it.
                          Sorry about the huge tank bag, but.......sometimes you need "stuff"

Keith
                          -------------------------------------------
                          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by zooke-158
                            These bikes look great in person. And Oshea is quite a nice guy. Plus nothing better than the sound of a GS1000 with an virtually unbaffled can.

Picture from Jennings GP 2004

Yaoza that looks great!

Comment

Just love that seat Keith ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X