Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What performance mods for '85 GS550ES? (power, handling, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What performance mods for '85 GS550ES? (power, handling, etc)

I just bought a 1985 GS550ES. I am going to have to clean and tune the carbs and replace the battery to get it running.

While I'm in the state of fixing 'er up, what, if any, performance mods exist for these bikes?

Are there any Dynojet Stage 1 kits for these bikes? What supporting setup (exhaust, intake, etc) is required to warrant a Stage 1 kit (if the kit exists for this bike)?

Are there performance exhaust systems?

I see there is a panel K&N replacement filter (and from car experiences, these are generally a worthwhile upgrade). Is there another option (I have seen "pods" referenced several places)?

What suspension mods exist?

What braking mods? Stainless steel braided lines, better pads, discs, etc?

Sorry for the LONG post (especially since it is my first) and all of the questions. This is my FIRST bike (I've only riden a 77cc 4 speed dirt bike), so I don't want to start throwing power onto it just yet...maybe a new air filter to start...but I want to get to know these bikes as best as I can...I've done it with my cars and I love it. Forums are always the best place to find out more, so please, enlighten me!

Thanks.

Will a 1100 or 1150 motor fit? That's what I'd do! Don't worry about too much power. It's only there when you nail it. I learned to ride on a 01 GSX-R 600 and everybody told me that I'd kill myself. Bah, it's only fast if you push it. Just learn to respect the power and then gradually tame it.

By the time you buy exhaust, flat slides, jet kit, filters, etc, you probably could have paid for a 1100 or 1150 motor and then once you tame that beast, you can upgrade that with bolt ons. That's just my opinion though.

Cool Mustang BTW!
    Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2006, 03:33 AM.

Comment

yes enjoy the bike. keep it stock. get a bigger one when you are ready.And all bikes are pusseycats till you twist the throttle

Comment

Originally posted by criticman
        Lots of questions...
        I suppose I'll address your concerns in order. First off, clean those carbs, do not adjust them. There's no tuning to be done on the stock carbs, and I wouldn't reccomend trying to open up the adjustments that do exist. Skreemer can tell you horror stories of a rather nasty set of 1983 GS550E carbs that he happens to have. Two tips... The pilot and choke jets on these carbs are VERY tiny. Carb cleaner doesn't clean orafices like that very well, so take a bristle off a brass brush and use that to clean the pilot and choke jets. (NOT steel wire, must be brass..) The choke jets are the jets at the tips of the brass tubes that stick into the float bowls. Those jets are not removable and must be cleaned in situ.

I have an 83 550ES. It's quite a tame machine. On a good day I can get it up to 115-118mph. But that takes lots of time, and I need to tuck real tight. Skreemer's bike is a 1983 GS550E, and he's got all the fixings. He can drive his bike straight into the redline and beyond in 6th gear. you and I are lucky to get to redline. :-)

So what can you do... We'll start with the engine. K&N sells a panel air filter which I have, but haven't installed yet. I'm gonna check out what that does for the bike later today, so expect an update. K&N also sold a Pod air filter kit for the bike, which has two pod air filters that EACH are the size of the entire air filter in my 130hp car. They're HUGE, skreemer has a set. Yoshimura, Kerker, Vance&Hines all sold 4-1 exhausts for the bike. Skreemer has a V&H pipe on his machine. Any of the big names will do you fine, if you go that route. Yoshimura sold cams for the bike, I have a set of stage 1 cams in the house, and those are going to go in skreemer's bike this weekend.

Now on most cars you have EFI, so you see imediate results from improving your engines breathing. That's no so on a carburated bike. The stock carb setup on the 83-86 bikes is deathly lean. Like "ohmygod i'm going to burn a hole in a piston" lean. And that's for emissions reasons. That is also why I get 42-45mpg. Dynojet sells a lot of kits to help recalibrate your carbs, as the stock parts in any american street bike since oh... the late 70's are not adjustable. The Stage 1 kits are for bone stock bikes. Perhaps a K&N replacement stock style filter. Stage 3 kits are for bikes that have pod air filters, and a GOOD 4-1 exahust on the bike. If you have anything less you'll run very rich. We figure Skreemer's bike is in the mid 70's horsepower wise, and it's throttle responce is wonderfully sweet. I wouldn't reccomend all the upgrades he's done to everyone, but the process of tuning it was very rewarding.

Now, suspention work. This is the most rewarding thing you can do on the bike. And, thankfully there are some incredable things you can do on the bike for not a lot of money. Progressive fork springs are $70. Those and choosing the right fork oil can make a world of difference on the front of the bike. There are cartirage emulators available from race-tech. And some people recomend disabling the antidive. Our household jury is still out on it, but we can have an answer for you on saturday for that. Since you have an 85, you may have gold cylinders with black adjuster caps at the bottom of your forks. That lets you adjust the damping of your fork. It's superior to the antidive system. If that's not good enough, buy the front end off a SV1000, or GSXR of your choice, and put that on the bike. It's a fairly simple conversion, if expensive.

In the rear, the solution is simple, buy a 92-2006 GSXR 600, 750, or 1000 shock. You need to remove the centerstand, and install the shock upside down. Replacing the shock takes you from a very simple damper rod type shock, to a highly sophisticated, adjustable, remote resivour, cartriage style shock. For $20-50 you can have one of the best factory shocks the world has to offer. ;-)

EBC and vesrah both make a veriety of pads that fit the bike. Contact EBC and Vesrah to determine what's best for what you're doing. SS brake lines are nice, but unless you disable the antidive installing a set can be a bit of a pain. The antidive also adds a certian "mush" to the lines due to the pistons in the antidive moving when you pull on the lever. You may not have antidive, so it might not be a worry for you. If that's the case, any GSXR braided brake line kit will work. No need to be picky. I wouldn't worry about replacing the disks if they aren't grooved.

I wouldn't start modifying the bike anytime soon. In stock form it's a fairly quick bike. 63hp is enough for any begininer. The suspention stuff you might wanna play with first. A bike that feels "right" improves rider confidence more than anything else. If your preload adjuster died like skreemers did, the back end of your bike can end up very "weird" feeling. Not a good situation.

Originally posted by Gofastparts4u
        01 GSX-R 600 and everybody told me that I'd kill myself.
        I HATE people like you. Almost with a burning passion. "Durrr I survived learning on X fast bike..." The problem is people like you, try to convince other people it's a good idea. Because YOU survived, doesn't mean they will. You never hear about people who failed, becuase they're DEAD, or don't talk about it.
        *snip* flat slides,*snip* you probably could have paid for a 1100 or 1150 motor and then once you tame that beast, you can upgrade that with bolt ons.
        You can't get flat slides for the 83-86 gs550's. Your only bet at bigger/smoother carbs are finding a set off a KZ1300. And that's a longshot at best. If he went the 1100 route he'd end up with a bike that's 100-130lbs heavier than the ride he's got. Life isn't about straight lines, and a lighter bike can be quite nice.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro

I HATE people like you. Almost with a burning passion. "Durrr I survived learning on X fast bike..." The problem is people like you, try to convince other people it's a good idea. Because YOU survived, doesn't mean they will. You never hear about people who failed, becuase they're DEAD, or don't talk about it.
          ditto

--L1234

Comment

I like this forum already! Quick replies and good personalities!

Originally posted by Gofastparts4u
            Cool Mustang BTW!
            Thanks. That's my "go fast" ride, so I'll take the time to get used to the ins and outs of the bike before I start jumping up to a bigger cc machine. That being said, I am glad I ended up with this bike as I was looking at Ninja 250R's. I wanted to "start small," but several friends who are experienced riders said that I could safely start with anything up to 650cc and be nice to the throttle as I learn, then get on it as I increase in ability.

**Nerobro**
            Thanks! That is exactly the type (and depth) of information I was looking for.

While on the subject of cleaning the carbs...is there a good service manual still in print for this bike? Haynes, etc?

Now I have to ask...who is Skreemer?

As for the Dynojet kits, I guess I will stick to stock for now, see how it goes, maybe step up to the Stage 1 setup and a K&N filter in a bit. Let me know how you like the K&N panel filter.

That's awesome about the suspension! I will keep that info in mind after I see how the bike is in its present state. As for the anti-dive, how can I check if it does or does not have this? (BTW, I will have possession of the bike and a duplicate 2/3 complete parts bike this Sunday)

In stock form it's a fairly quick bike.
            Yeah, I have seen friends on relatively small bikes FLY past hot rod V8's on the launch. I have promised my girlfriend that I will keep my speed addiction to the Mustang and its 3000 lb of steel protecting me...especially since she'll be in Spain for 6 weeks...plenty of time for me to learn to ride safely, then consider upgrades to the bike when she returns.

Comment

criticman have you considered taking the MSF? Learning on your own is really not enough...

Comment

Originally posted by lord1234
                criticman have you considered taking the MSF? Learning on your own is really not enough...
                I have indeed. Conflicting listings as to whether or not there is one in my town, but there are plenty closer to Atlanta. GA law permits the course to exempt the riding exam for a full license. Plus I know insurance co's should like it.

Speaking of insurance co's...who is a good one for bikes? I have Nationwide for my cars.

Comment

Starting small isn't the key. I"d even call a 883 cc harley a good begininer bike. The key is low horsepower. Anything under 70 is really the right idea. Judging a bike by CC's is really a poor idea. We even have a few good examples in the GS community.

Clymers still has a service manual for the bike. :-)

Okey, skreemer is my roomate. He rides an 83 550e

The antidive will be obvious. if there's brake lines going to little cylinders... It's antidive. If there's a golden thing and an adjuster on it, you have the adjustable damping units.

Comment

Alright, I thought I had seen a Clymer's manual on Amazon too.

Okay, cool about Skreemer. Either of you have pics of your bikes?

I'll check out the brake lines as soon as I get the bike - or may ask the previous owner today if I get the chance.

Comment

Okay, so friend had his dad take pics of the bike. From the pics, it appears to me (with my unexperienced eye) that it does not have anti-dive and that is does have the golden thing with adjusters, so it has adjustable dampers.

If you want to look for yourself: http://www.flickr.com/photos/criticm...7594175091304/

And the wheels are not clear coated, so I can use a pressure washer to get the yellow paint off so that the bike doesn't look like it belongs to Ronald McDonald.

EDIT: And the friend's dad got it running this morning even though it needs the new battery. He is also cleaning the carbs for me, so that is awesome. The 2/3 complete parts bike is missing the body panels and a gas tank - if I were to sell it, any clue what I could get for it?

EDIT 2: So I was looking at the original brochure for these bikes and for the front suspension, it says "Air, oil sumped, Suzuki 'Posi-Damp Forks' (PDF) with anti-dive (4 way adjustment)." So it has anti-dive? But it is adjustable?
                      Last edited by Guest; 06-23-2006, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Clymers still has a service manual for the bike. :-)
                        This the one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089...Fencoding=UTF8 ??

Comment

On a good day I can get it up to 115-118mph. But that takes lots of time, and I need to tuck real tight. Skreemer's bike is a 1983 GS550E, and he's got all the fixings. He can drive his bike straight into the redline and beyond in 6th gear. you and I are lucky to get to redline.
                          On a good day...

In 5 years of riding now, I don't think I've ever been over 115 MPH. Call it puss, but then again I didn't crash my bike following Joe Nardy ever. I think it's retarded to start talking about top speeds on a 'street bike' forum. Even more retarded to be up there running those speeds on public roads.

To each his own,

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by criticman
                            Yeah that book will do. The haynes is much better though. Where are you? I just might buy that parts bike off you. :-)

Comment

I'm in NW Georgia. My roommate may actually buy the parts bike off of me - apparently it just needs a gas tank and some body panels. He has been wanting to start riding too.

I appreciate all of the info. I'll start posting in other sections of the forum...not sure how the admins are here, but I know there are different sections for different topics for a reason.

EDIT: BTW, I thought you said the Clymer one was the book to get on your previous post? Now Haynes is better? In any event, the Clymer one has already shipped from Dennis Kirk (they are great - ordered yesterday afternoon and it has already shipped out).
                              Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X