Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What performance mods for '85 GS550ES? (power, handling, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AOD
    On a good day...

In 5 years of riding now, I don't think I've ever been over 115 MPH. Call it puss, but then again I didn't crash my bike following Joe Nardy ever. I think it's retarded to start talking about top speeds on a 'street bike' forum. Even more retarded to be up there running those speeds on public roads.

To each his own,

~Adam
    I won't ever call anyone a puss for doing what they're comfortable doing. However, your crash comment is uncalled for. Going fast in a straight line, is a completely different subject from being an idiot and not leaving myself space to make a mistake. I ALWAYS leave myself room to make a mistake, usually several.

I also made no refrence to my frequency of speeding, or where I did such testing. Is it really any worse to be doing 50% over the speed limt in a straight line with half a mile of visablity versus doing double the limit on a curvy road? Even tripple? *cough*Dragon*cough* Where you have yards of visability? I'd be happy to discuss the sanity of the alteratives.

I did not encourage this guy to try to get the bike going that fast. It's nice to know it's there. Wanna know something more retarded? If you think talking about top speeds are retarded... To drive at a safe speed on i-94 northbound out of chicago, you need a vehicle cappable of 90mph. If what you're in/on/under/over/hanging from can't do 90, you're a sitting duck.

It does seem I have touched upon a bit of a sore spot for you.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Speed has its place - Interstates near big cities seems to be a big one, that is if you want to survive.

I won't say where each of these has happened, and I know cars are a bit different than bikes, but in any thing over 100MPH, a lot can go wrong quickly.

I've gotten an '04 Civic to 117 (rev limiter), a '97 Civic to about the same, '96 Lumina to 120 (w/ A/C off for that extra "boost" lol), '05 Impreza to 105, '93 Mustang to 145+ (stopped looking down, too dangerous).

Now, was I stupid most of those times...yes. And do I plan on going anywhere near that fast yet on a bike? No. Even if I started out on a Busa, I'd be babying it and granny shifting, not running higher than 70MPH as I don't plan on getting on any Interstates for a LONG time until I have more experience - and a lot of practice reacting to idiot drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by criticman
        EDIT: And the friend's dad got it running this morning even though it needs the new battery. He is also cleaning the carbs for me, so that is awesome. The 2/3 complete parts bike is missing the body panels and a gas tank - if I were to sell it, any clue what I could get for it?

EDIT 2: So I was looking at the original brochure for these bikes and for the front suspension, it says "Air, oil sumped, Suzuki 'Posi-Damp Forks' (PDF) with anti-dive (4 way adjustment)." So it has anti-dive? But it is adjustable?
        1. The parts bike is worth maybe $200, if it has a title. Individually parting it out will get you more money. As for the fellow thinking about fixing it up and riding it, nine times out of ten, he'd be better off finding a runner that has cosmetic issues and correcting them as time and money allows instead of working up from a parts bike with an unknown mechanical condition (been there, done that, should write a book to teach others with stars in their eyes about getting a "cheap" rider).

2. The original anti-dive system that was on the '83 and '84 550s is what Skreemer is referring to. That was Suzuki's first generation anti-dive design. It worked by using brake fluid from the braking system. It didn't effect front end dive much, but made the brake lever mushy. The golden capped anti-dive ('85-'86) is second generation, and works a bit better. It utilizes oil from the front forks, and has some effect on dive, but doesn't mess up braking feel. It is definitely better. If you're worried about front end dive, the best thing to do is trash the stock fork springs and get new progressive ones from someplace like Dennis Kirk.

My 550 is an '85 that I got for $200 from a guy who drove by looking at my 700 in the driveway, then stopped and asked if I wanted an old bike in his garage that looked "just like that one". It was cosmetically trashed, had been down hard a time or two, but with patience, knowledge gleaned from this website, and $$$$$, it is now a very nice looking '85 with '83 body work. All told I have between $1200-$1600 into it, so money wise, I'd have been much better off finding a decent one that needed no work.

As for personal satisfaction and educational purposes, it was probably worth it to me.

Here's a pic, with the fellow who (hopefully) will someday be riding it:

Good luck, have fun, be patient, and you'll appreciate what you have, and what you've done to get it.
        sigpic

SUZUKI:
        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Thanks Griffin.

I have been seeing on eBay and elsewhere that parting out the parts bike will net me more, but thanks for confirming it.

As for the friend wanting to fix it up, I'll mention your thoughts on that to him and let him make up his mind. I believe all it needs is a gas tank to get it running though...

Thanks for clearing up about the anti-dive system. I've looked at the progressive springs for the front forks @ Dennis Kirk...good price and I think I will upgrade once I have had time on the bike.

You've done a great job on that bike btw. Good luck with the little one and hopefully he'll be riding it and posting on this forum in due time.

Comment

I'll have to get some pics for ya on what mine looks like... I have my bike set up for me... so some folks think it's a bit harsh susoension wise(it's a tad tight up front)...

#1 reccomendation for the bike before you even look at gofast mods is the suspension. Either get that tired old rear rebuilt or replaced. The GSXR rear is damn cheap and pretty easy to do I suggest that route.

Progressive springs with the proper amount of preload will help immensely on the front end responsiveness. They shouldn't be more than 80$ and just follow the instructions on how to replace them. Though I'd all suggest spending the 20 - 25 dollars extra and replacing the slides inside the legs(bike bandit numbers 503545-001 and 502947-001) found here: www.bikebandit.com.

Be aware also that alot of the mods I've done to mine make it very picky concerning weather and general atmospheric conditions... If it's way humid out or foggy it acts pretty sluggis from time to time and throttle response under 2500RPM when not in tune is spotty at best.

Also if you need some parts, ask away. I have in my basement about enough parts to make 9/10ths of another GS550e/s(for example I do have a gas tank that's in pretty good shape)

Comment

Thanks Skreemer.

Looking forward to the pics and I agree 100%...make the bike the way you want it...or in my case, the way I want it.

I'll edit my sig with a link to new pics of the bike. It came today. We jumped it off of my Mustang and got it running. Mmmm, I love it already!

Comment

Okay, i was just looking through this thread and i noticed that it would be ok to put a GSXR 600 or so shock onto a GS. is the same true for my 1981 GS550L? Im wondering because im having a problem with a crossthreaded stud on my left shock, and i know that it is welded to the frame. I also need a new pair of shocks, so im thinking that if somebody can take a moment or 2 to explain to me how this is done (mounted and angled etc. or a pic) then i can get rid of my old cruddy shocks, and the stud at the same time! tell me what you think...

btw i am also new to this forum and it has been a big help so far!

~jason

Comment

Yeah, a Walk-Thru w/ pics would be awesome on the shocks.

Comment

I won't ever call anyone a puss for doing what they're comfortable doing. However, your crash comment is uncalled for. Going fast in a straight line, is a completely different subject from being an idiot and not leaving myself space to make a mistake. I ALWAYS leave myself room to make a mistake, usually several.

I also made no refrence to my frequency of speeding, or where I did such testing. Is it really any worse to be doing 50% over the speed limt in a straight line with half a mile of visablity versus doing double the limit on a curvy road? Even tripple? *cough*Dragon*cough* Where you have yards of visability? I'd be happy to discuss the sanity of the alteratives.

I did not encourage this guy to try to get the bike going that fast. It's nice to know it's there. Wanna know something more retarded? If you think talking about top speeds are retarded... To drive at a safe speed on i-94 northbound out of chicago, you need a vehicle cappable of 90mph. If what you're in/on/under/over/hanging from can't do 90, you're a sitting duck.

It does seem I have touched upon a bit of a sore spot for you.
                    Not a sore spot at all, just a concerning spot, in my opinion. Hearing a rider who's already gone past his limits (single vehicle crash) talk about riding at excessive speeds as you mentioned is disheartening to me.

I may talk up the Dragon as a nice playground, but until you ride it, you can't really talk about it. Sure people push it there, but Joe Nardy, Ryan, others on this site have followed me through it, and I've followed them. Ride it hard, push it, sure. But push it too far, no. I rather go down there than at 121 MPH on a 'straight road with 1/2 mile visibility' any time. You're in control yourself at those speeds, but physics is in control of you if mechanical or nature's friend interveens.

Keep in mind I lived in Chicago 23 years prior to moving out here, I'm well aware of the roads and traffic.

~Adam

Comment

Since this has become quite an eclectic thread...

When I bought my helmet, gloves, and jacket on Tuesday, the 60ish old man that helped me was awesome. Apparently he lost it doing 85, knees to the ground cornering on a mountain road. He landed on his head, which was protected by an Arai helmet, then he and the bike wound up in a ravine. His GSXR1000 was totaled, but since he was wearing full leathers and a helmet, he was fine and managed to get the bike home.

Just another example of how wearing the proper gear, even if you do something stupid, you have a better chance of coming out of it unharmed (or at least alive and bruised).

Comment

Originally posted by criticman
                        Yeah, a Walk-Thru w/ pics would be awesome on the shocks.
                        I can do a walk through in two or three pictures. It's just THAT simple. All you really need to do is unbolt the stock shock, and bolt the new one in. :-)

Adam, I apreciate your concern. There were a lot of lessons learned that weekend. However, that weekend is over, and those lessons are learned. I hope I have your trust that I'm riding responcably and well within my limits. I ride what I preach. I should share stories of morphix and his genius. :-)

Comment

Thanks a ton nero... that walk through would be great, for some reason i still dont think im on the same page as you guys though, you see, my bike (1981 gs550L) has 2 rear shocks, and im assuming you mean to replace both of those with upside down GSXR shocks... thats where i got lost. unless of course you meant to exchange both of my shocks for one GSXR shock. thats where i thought about just getting rid of my old shock studs as well. so yeah, that walk through would be very handy.

Oh and one more thing. if anyone has a parts bike or an "extra" chain guard that would fit one my bike, im in the market...

Thanks in advance (you guys are great)

~jason

Comment

skizz,

while I have LOTS of advice for the dual shock 550's, nothing discussed here really has any bearing on your bike. 77-82 and 83-86 GS550's are completely different beasts. And when I say completely different, the only things they share are rear wheel diameter and width, keylock cylinder, front fork diameter, headstock dimentions, and handlebar diameter. I don't think I"m forgetting anything either......

The GSXR shock will not fit your bike. At all. But there are a lot of shocks that will fit. Most of the aftermarket companies make shocks that are quite suitable. In just about any price range.

If you have the same questions for your bike, I'd reccomend starting up a thread for your bike ;-) adding it here would be like talking about 1100's and 650's in the same breath. My fast bike is a 1980 GS550E... *grins wildly*

Comment

heh, sorry about that. for some reason i read something wrong towards the beginning then. ill start a new thread if necissary, but thanks alot and im sure ill be asking more questions in the future.

Comment

I also have the blue and white 83 gs550E. I have had the bike for about 10 years and instead of buying something new, would like to freshin' it up I like the shock upgrade and can't wait for the pics/walk thru. How bout the fork springs? easy to install? I am also having a fuel issue now. The bike would only start and run on choke (happened all of a sudden) now it won't start (if you twist the throttle a few times, it'll fire and die qwik) I have checked all the fuel lines, gas cap and petcock, all good. The carbs are being cleaned now. Are there any other things should look for? As for parts.....I need the little fuel door that covers the petcock, any help there? Other than that, the bike is clean with only 15000 miles. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
                                X