Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this work?

So here's the parts list I've developed for my '79 GS 1000 L:
    Wiseco K1100 kit, megacycle cams (.410, 250 deg.) & springs, Dynoman clutch, Dyna S w/ DC1-1 coils (not so sure if I need the combo or if I can go one or the other), and mikuni RS 38 carbs. I know someone who can bore the cyl's for me, but I'm a little unclear as to whether or not I need the sleeves, and I need to find out if stock top end will work (More flow? Maybe the head off an 1100?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-24-2006, 03:17 AM.

Please someone let me know if I'm thinking right. I want to get this thing running strong by the end of summer.

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldGS
      Wiseco K1100 kit, megacycle cams (.410, 250 deg.) & springs, Dynoman clutch, Dyna S w/ DC1-1 coils (not so sure if I need the combo or if I can go one or the other), and mikuni RS 38 carbs. I know someone who can bore the cyl's for me, but I'm a little unclear as to whether or not I need the sleeves, and I need to find out if stock top end will work (More flow? Maybe the head off an 1100?). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Depends on what you expect from the bike. The GS1000 is such a well mannered/reliable bike with basic mods (pods/pipe/pistons/Dyna) but head and cam work can change things. Most modern bikes will still pass you, if that has anything to do with it.
      I can't really say because I have no experience with those carbs and if they're a good match for those mods. I think they're a little big (fuel flow) for the stock head. Will they even bolt up to the '79 head? If they will then I think some porting/polishing would help justify those carbs. Porting has to be done right though.
      I don't remember if the Dyna DC1-1 is the correct coil number, but you want the green 3.3 ohm coils. I'd also add welding the crank to the list. Stiffer damper springs and welding the clutch basket too, or is that similar to the Dynoman clutch you mention?
      My '79 1000E has 1085 Wiseco pistons, V&H pipe, K&N filters, stock carbs with a DJ kit, Dyna S and coils, and welded crank and clutch basket. Runs great.
      The 29 smoothbores are the perfect fit for this bike but I gave up trying to find a pristine set. A mild cam would be nice too. Anything beyond that may compromise the street manners and you still won't keep up with the crotch rockets. But it's your bike of course.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Keith makes a good point. You can spend months and a few thousand on your 1000 and still not have as fast a bike as you could buy used that is more recent. While very capable, the 1000 is 26 years old and a lot has changed since then. The primary obstacle is weight. The 1000 weighs around 100 lbs more than newer bikes and that costs you. The suspension might not handle the speed your asking from it as well. Once you get into these modification projects you never see the end.

I would appreciate the 1000 for what it is and not for what it ain't. There is an old saying about making a racehorse out of a carriage horse that comes to mind.
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

i race a honda civic today and at 115 i finally backed off and let him go.these old bikes have crappy front springs and too much weight.i would get a used 750 gixxer.Just my opinion.
          future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by NewOldGS

If your calling yourself going after some of the more modern sportbikes out there PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY. If your bike is in need of an overhaul go as conservative as possible (stock or 1mm over with EXTREMLY mild cams only if needed). The Dyna S and coils are good ideal, tho you could save by getting sorme coils and wires off a newer bike (Bandit, Katana, any 3 ohm type).

Mikuni's are nice but I would go with RS36's over 38's (if you have a nice full system). For street use I actually prefer stock cv's (properly jetted they give way more bottom end - street hp).

Most people here including myself have learned from the school of hard knocks. Yes there is alot of upgrading you can do to GS motors, but once you start you can end up spending more time 'test and tuning' than riding; and the new 'hyper-bikes' will still tear you a new azzh@LE.

Whichever route you decide, Good-Luck with her

Comment

Originally posted by mlaalm
              Most people here including myself have learned from the school of hard knocks. Yes there is alot of upgrading you can do to GS motors, but once you start you can end up spending more time 'test and tuning' than riding; and the new 'hyper-bikes' will still tear you a new azzh@LE.
              While I mostly agree (I wouldn't have bought a new R1 otherwise), from my old car experience, sometimes a rough and raw older vehicle can really give you a thrill, even if a new car hands you your butt on a plate.
              I won't bother modding older bikes though as the newer ones just have soooo much more performance it's not funny.

BUT, I do see the thrill in a tuned older vehicle. It basically comes down to reward vs. dollars. Less $$$ may buy you a newer bike, but it may not give you the same rewards.

Besides, if you only mod your bike for other people, NOT yourself and what you like and want, then don't own a GS, go buy a Harley...

Comment

Your money, your bike, your choice. This sounds like an interesting list of mods at the least, will it work out like you expect? Probably more and less then you expect.

Right now I'm thinking of doing a project bike, and my old GS1100 dose look tempting. If I dive in to it the E in the title will lose all meaning, I would probably call it a GS1100CR (cafe racer). Is such a thought practical? Probably not, but fun, probably. If you do it is it something to be proud of? Just make sure you wipe the dumb grin off your face before you take your toy out for the first run.

Comment

If you must hotrod an old GS, go for:

Lighter wheels and better rubber.

Progressive fork springs and shocks will improve handling

Exhaust pipe mods

Weigh savings as much as possible ( loose the center stand, plastic instead of steel fender, no rear footpegs, no chain guard, and aluminum parts wherever possible)

If you can shave 30 - 40 pounds off the bike that is about an 8 % improvement. Lighter wheels will accelerate and stop faster as well as turn quicker. Major energy savings there and easy to find. Swapping out the exhaust for a 4-1 should save a few pounds as will losing the center stand and rear pegs. Clip on bars save a little weight and make you more aerodynamic, another key area.

I'm not a big fan of pods but the airbox on the 1000 is supposed to be pretty darn restrictive. IF you've the patience to remove the carbs a few times you might get a few ponies out of pods.

All of this is doable without opening the engine up and spending really big bucks.

GXR front ends with USD shocks are another popular mod that saves weight and brings better front brakes to the table.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X