82 750 E with 4 into 1 power band problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 750 E with 4 into 1 power band problem

I bought an 82 GS 750 E last year and finally started working on it. I have completely cleaned and resynced carbs and put a new clutch in. When bike is at idle I hear clicking so I know I need a valve adjustment. The problem I have is at idle with no load on bike when you rev it revs fine, but when you put it in gear and ride there is now power down low. At least until about 3-4k rpm then she pulls great. I have 2 mechanics telling me 2 different things. 1 says fix do the valve adjustment and that will fix it, while the other says it is a jet kit that is needed. Any suggestions? I am not sure whether this had a jet kit in it to begin with. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

To me the bike should still be able to pull somewhat decently without the valve job.

- Does it have an aftermarket air filter or pods?
    - Maybe you can take the top off one of the carbs and see if there are adjustable needles or additional washers or shims?
    - Has the epa cover on the air mixture screw been removed?

If it starts pulling good at 3-4000 rpm and above that then I would say there is already a jet kit or it has been jetted.

And you may just need to 'turn out' the air mixture screw
    Doing or checking this on your bike I'm not familure with could be on the bottom of the carbs as I am use to finding it. A good place to start is always about 2.5 turns out from 'slightly seated' BUT let some more members chime in when they get a chance.

Seem like everyone is out riding . . . May be able to 'search' some threads on jetting and valve adjustments for additonal help - Good Luck Ride Safe

-Mike

Comment

Since your problem is only in the low speed area it has to carbs. GS motors are set up pretty loose and the top ends do chatter. The valves would have to be way out to make it run poor and then it would most likely be at all rpm's.

Soungs like low speed pilot jet/mixture problems. Not very familar with the stock '82 carbs but here is where I would start. Sounds like once it comes on the needles (3000 rpm) it cleans out and runs fine.

I tried to tune (Dynojet) my stock 33mm '83 GS750 carbs to match a V+H pipe and drop-in cams without much sucess. Once you start making major demands on the stock carbs they get harder to dial in. My fix was a set of used GSXR1100 34mm CV flatslides. They tuned easily and were good on the bike thru various stages of engine modifications.

As a backup, the early air/oil cooled GSXR CV flatslides should bolt right up, the early 1100 had the 34's, they were the carb swap for the 16v 750 back in the mid 80's'.

Good Luck, Ed.

Comment

Working...
      X