1229 kit in GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1229 kit in GS1150

Who all has this kit in their street GS1150 and how do you like it? Is it tractable and okay to ride. I would really like a stock cylinder and pistons but if this kit is fine on the street then I will just rebuild it back this way that I got it. It was not ridable when I purchased it and am talking with TC exhaust about getting a Bassanni pipe made for it.

Eric

It works fine on the street, as long as you don't stop much. I had to replace the exhaust valve seals due to getting caught in heavy stopped traffic. There is more wear and tear on some things, I had to replace my starter clutch due to the extra load the high compression/bigger capacity pistons put on it. If I were building one, I would o-ring the block, and use copper gaskets, that will help keep things tight. The other thing I had were the 750 oil pump gears that pump more oil around, which probably helps cooling.

Comment

Thanks for the insight. I think now I have to look for a stock bore cylinder with pistons and go that route instead.

Someone on the board was interested in trading a stock cylinder and pistons for mine but I forgot who.

Eric

Comment

Just had a customer bring us his top end off of his 1229 GS1150 that has been running on the street for 15 years.

This makes a great street motor.

You would NOT want to use a copper gasket and o'ringed block on this application. I would recommend heavy duty cylinder studs and you would never have any kind of head gasket issues.

Jay
        Speed Merchant
        http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay
          Just had a customer bring us his top end off of his 1229 GS1150 that has been running on the street for 15 years.

This makes a great street motor.

You would NOT want to use a copper gasket and o'ringed block on this application. I would recommend heavy duty cylinder studs and you would never have any kind of head gasket issues.

Jay
          Thanks for the insight, lhanscom, has also been pming me about how good they are on the street as well. Think I will keep it.

Eric

Comment

I've been running one in my 83 Kat for 5 years and love it. It does get bit hot at times, which is worrisome. With the GSXR carbs on it makes a stock 1150 feel slower than it should. There is substantially more grunt. And there's a nice top end hit as well.

I'm suprised how well the chassis and suspension handle the extra power. Some upgrades to the suspension, but no mods on the frame.
            GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

If you have ridden it and like it then I wouldn't worry about changing over. If you needed to go back to stock size I would probably just see about doing an engine swap with someone. I think pulling the engine out is much simpler then trying to mix the different engines.

Comment

I actually purchaed min with the topend apart. The rotor end was buggered and the previous person was going to get the crank rebuilt. I just sourced a recently rebuilt welded crank and am going to proceed on rebuilding it shortly.

Comment

Got a 1260 kit in my 83 1100.Plus head work,33 smoothies,pipe,coils,crank ect ect.It just goes and goes.37 miles to the gallon to boot.

Comment

Working...
                  X