1150 EF updating project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
    What this guy has going on in his garage makes most of us look like Mickey Mouse mechanics.
    Em eye see, kay eee why, em oh you ess eee - that'd be me!

Comment

Originally posted by ArttuH View Post
      It should work just fine At least I have pretty good experiences with it.
      I was thinking with it being blown rather than NA that there may be more to it. I'm sure they have support for turbos....

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
        I was thinking with it being blown rather than NA that there may be more to it. I'm sure they have support for turbos....
        Well, I don't see any significant difference on the engine management side if it's turbocharged or supercharged.

Actually I guess that his setup should be easier to tune than mine. There is two reasons for that: he is using one throttle blade instead of four and there isn't extra exhaust back pressure caused by the turbo. These should mean more consistent manifold pressure signal which makes life much easier.

Anyway, I agree, it's interesting to see how it works out.
        Arttu
        GS1100E EFI turbo
        Project thread

Comment

Thanks for your comments ! I think I´m not so special mechanic . I know better ones .

The engine internala I think change only what is necessery . Maybe pistons , piston rings , better clutch , all gaskets and seals . Check/truing crankshaft and do some other "normally" things in owerhauling the engine .

Bike colour is secret ( a little bit even to me ) but it´s not going to be any real modern blig blig painting . Maybe something ...

When the bike is starting first time I´m going to take a video clip .
          W´ll see if can make it start without Arttu´s help ( he is the man who built my Mega ) .

Back to garage .

Comment

Originally posted by ArttuH View Post
            Well, I don't see any significant difference on the engine management side if it's turbocharged or supercharged.

Actually I guess that his setup should be easier to tune than mine. There is two reasons for that: he is using one throttle blade instead of four and there isn't extra exhaust back pressure caused by the turbo. These should mean more consistent manifold pressure signal which makes life much easier.

Anyway, I agree, it's interesting to see how it works out.
            I didn't realize that you had a Mega thing on a blow thru turbo bike. Have you ever posted anything on it, if not I would be very interested in reading about it.

I was in automotive electronics design for over 20 years before changing my career. One place I worked at was Cummins Engine Company. Everything I worked on was turbocharged. Setting up a new engine was a big deal at least at the time. We were using some self tuning controls back then and I am sure this has come a long way. There was a lot of time spent just running simulations, even before any parts were made. There was an order of magnitude level of complexity in the electronics compared to the Mega thing.

With the Mega thing, your not trying to make something that meets the 2010 emissions standards. It's more a one off educational toy than anything. Not trying to slam it but it is what it is.

I think it is a great idea. It's open for one thing. So even if it does not do what you want, you can change it. It's also cheap. The best part is it appears that there are a lot of people working on it, so you have a good pool you can draw from for help.

Keep up the great posts!

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
              I didn't realize that you had a Mega thing on a blow thru turbo bike. Have you ever posted anything on it, if not I would be very interested in reading about it.
              I posted some kind introduction some time ago: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=101698
              And there is a direct link to my project page: http://www.iki.fi/arttuh/mopo/turbo/index.html
              I have a small upgrade project ongoing. Probably I will post some info and pics about it little later.

You are partially right about that educational toy, that describes well what is the main purpose of this Megasquirt project for me. On the other hand it performs damn well for a toy. I doubt that many of the commercial controllers won't do any better. Of course it would be pretty challenging to try to meet some recent emission standards with it.
              Arttu
              GS1100E EFI turbo
              Project thread

Comment

I remember seeing your site now. This was/is a great project! Did you ever do a writeup on it? I would be interested in reading some of the details about any software / sensor changes you made or if you were using all canned code for it. I would also like to read about how you tuned it. Any problems that you ran into, etc. Please post some more info, or add it to your site.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a writeup in English. My English isn't too great so it takes some time to produce understandable story. But let's see if I can find time to write something up soon.
                  Arttu
                  GS1100E EFI turbo
                  Project thread

Comment

Your english seems fine. Looking forward to reading more. I would even help proof it for you, just to get a glimps of what your up to...

Comment

Something new again . Working with seat , molded fuel tank , polished muffler , mounted plastics round head light and made some small detailts .

Comment

Once again I am "blown away" (or is that "Blower"ed away ;-) ) by the quality of your work! I would love the opportunity to spend just a day or two watching and learning, and while I suspect you'll probably offer up a chance to do that I doubt I'll make it to Finland anytime soon...

Great work!!

Comment

The guy thats really lucky is your employer, that is unless you work for yourself (which you should). With those skills.

You will definately always be in demand.

H E L L. you should come to the states and get into the reality tv business and give those high drama bike builders a run for their money.

Comment

there are alot of people watching this thread from many different forums.......anyword on a date for firing the beast up?.......or did I miss that?

Comment

i know this is a minor point.......any thought on a paint scheme?......something gixxer-esque or maybe a something over the top and custom...........just asking

Comment

Originally posted by firemun59 View Post
                                i know this is a minor point.......any thought on a paint scheme?......something gixxer-esque or maybe a something over the top and custom...........just asking
                                I have some ideas about painting , but it is secret .
                                I hope it is ready to "fire up" in summer . In that time when body parts are in painter I´m goin to make owerhaul to the engine .
                                There is some parts still missing ; Dyna coils , stronger clutch and maybe pistons .

If someone knows where to buy coils and clutch , I´m interested .
                                Those parts are much cheaper outside Finland (example in USA ).

To Planecrazy :
                                You are wellcome to Finland ! Let me know if you are coming

Comment

Working...
                                X