1150 EF updating project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blower View Post
    Can you tell any numbers , how many degrees to retard inlet and how many degrees advance exhaust ?
    The stock 1150 cam timing for the '83 model is 34-66-60-32. This gives 66 deg overlap which is what you need to reduce. Try and retard the inlet opening to around 15-20deg BTDC. The exhaust can close earlier too, say 12-15deg ATDC. Leave the inlet valves and lift the same, but increase the exhaust valve dia and lift. Don't go too radical with the extra lift and don't advance the exhaust opening as you'll rob some power from the power stroke.
    Inlet closing and exhaust opening figures are in the ball park and would be very costly to try differing combinations, so I'd try grinds to around stock timing. These figures are not gosple but are in the vicinity that you should be working in.
    IMO, your key really is to reduce that overlap to around 30-35 degs.
    Last edited by 49er; 10-20-2007, 02:38 PM.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Can you tell any numbers , how many degrees to retard inlet and how many degrees advance exhaust ?
      Since my previous post, I've pulled up some info on the cams used on the Supercharged Toyota MR2. There are stock and racing grinds for this setup with some opening/closing, lifts and durations for comparison.
      You need to know at what lift off the valve seat that each set of cam timing figures are quoted. Most seem to be speced at 0.050" of valve lift.
      Without this info, you can't compare "apples with apples".

There are some useful comparisons between ideal turbo and supercharged cam timing. Your 1150 is air cooled so the build up of heat may dictate how radical you intent to be.
      Enjoy.

:) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Hey Blower
        How's progress on your SC project? Many project junkies are awaiting their next fix!!
        Have you decided which route you will take with the porting and cam combination? Will you lower the static CR or try and live with the stock figure, plus a 10psi boost?

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          Hey Blower
          How's progress on your SC project? Many project junkies are awaiting their next fix!!
          Have you decided which route you will take with the porting and cam combination? Will you lower the static CR or try and live with the stock figure, plus a 10psi boost?
          Progress is going on . I ported the exhaust ports a bit bigger than original ports . Cyl. head is now in the machine shop , where they do a multi angle valve seats and milling a gasket surface ( as little as possible to get it straight ) .
          After that I need to measure the combustion chambers . I´m going to hold origial CR or maybe a bit lower ( max 10 psi boost ) .

I think to try with the original cams , intake retarded and exhaust advanced ( few degrees ) .

Rest of the engine is now in parts . I have measured crankshaft and all other parts .
          All are in between the factory tolerances .
          Cylinder block and crank housing is cleaned and painted ( satin black ) .
          I´m waiting for parts from APE and CMS to get the engine finished .

Comment

Progress is going on . I ported the exhaust ports a bit bigger than original ports . Cyl. head is now in the machine shop , where they do a multi angle valve seats and milling a gasket surface ( as little as possible to get it straight ) .
            After that I need to measure the combustion chambers . I´m going to hold origial CR or maybe a bit lower ( max 10 psi boost ) .

I think to try with the original cams , intake retarded and exhaust advanced ( few degrees ) .

Rest of the engine is now in parts . I have measured crankshaft and all other parts .
            All are in between the factory tolerances .
            Cylinder block and crank housing is cleaned and painted ( satin black ) .
            I´m waiting for parts from APE and CMS to get the engine finished .
            Thanks for the update.
            How much of a cleanup of the head surface is required to true it up? If the bow is greater than 0.004 inch, you should ask your machinist to have the head bump straightened proir to milling. If you dont do that, you will end up with the cams slighlty out of axial alightment. Also, #1&4 chambers will be at a lesser capacity than the middle ones causing a variation in CR across the engine.
            The stock 1150 valve seats have only 2 angle cuts. How many are you planning. Some tuners are now cutting up to 5 different angles. Because you are using forced induction, you probably won't see as much benefit as with a NA engine.
            I think that you are doing the right thing by trying the stock cams. That way you will get good feedback as to what is needed to get the most out of your engine. You will have a point of reference when fine tuning at a later date.

Comment

Thanks for the update.
              How much of a cleanup of the head surface is required to true it up? If the bow is greater than 0.004 inch, you should ask your machinist to have the head bump straightened proir to milling. If you dont do that, you will end up with the cams slighlty out of axial alightment. Also, #1&4 chambers will be at a lesser capacity than the middle ones causing a variation in CR across the engine.
              The stock 1150 valve seats have only 2 angle cuts. How many are you planning. Some tuners are now cutting up to 5 different angles. Because you are using forced induction, you probably won't see as much benefit as with a NA engine.
              I think that you are doing the right thing by trying the stock cams. That way you will get good feedback as to what is needed to get the most out of your engine. You will have a point of reference when fine tuning at a later date.
              It doesn´t need much clean up , when I test it with fine grinding paste and cast iron surface plate there was one little spot without grinding marks on the cyl. head .
              3 angle cuts to the valve seats .

Comment

Did you find a clutch? I came across a very nice one. If your interested in some info, just let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                  84' model 1150's had 2 face valves, later years had 3.

Comment

Get cylinder head from machine shop today . It was milled 0.003 to get it straight . Now I need to measure combustion chambers and equalize them .

Comment

Originally posted by lecroy View Post
                      Did you find a clutch? I came across a very nice one. If your interested in some info, just let me know.
                      I send to you a pm .

Comment

Get cyl. head finished ( all chambers are equalized , head painted , etc ) .
                        Cleaned , grinded , polished and painted a lot of parts .
                        Now I´m waiting for parts from CMS to get engine finished ( get parts from APE ) and frame
                        & other big parts from painter .

Engine now :

Wheels after polishing and painting ( I polished only sides of the wheels , because polishing is only polishing not a building a bike ) :

Comment

Get cyl. head finished ( all chambers are equalized , head painted , etc ) .
                          Cleaned , grinded , polished and painted a lot of parts .
                          Now I´m waiting for parts from CMS to get engine finished ( get parts from APE ) and frame
                          & other big parts from painter .

Engine now :

Wheels after polishing and painting ( I polished only sides of the wheels , because polishing is only polishing not a building a bike ) :

Nice work Blower. That bike is sure going to look a picture when it's completed!! Are you planning on making a video for us, on it's first fire up?

Comment

Nice work Blower. That bike is sure going to look a picture when it's completed!! Are you planning on making a video for us, on it's first fire up?
                            If not first but when I know it´s firing up and running .

Comment

New updates . I get all engine parts and now it is finished .
                              Pic of cam degreeing :

"The Old Dinosaur" on its wheels again :

Supercarger and new Dyna coils instelled .
                              Oil fiter change is possible without dismantling supercharger from the bike :

Comment

Beautiful!!!
                                Keep 'em coming!
                                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                                X