No announcement yet.

1150 EF updating project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you did not try the 108 lobe centers yet?

Comment

110 on both cams is what I use for all of my turbo bikes.

Comment

I have been adjusting efi today and get the engine running good enough. There is still some roughness around 3000 rpm, but not much.

Pic of new plenum :

Next thing to do is raise the boost and install the lock up clutch.

There is a lot more valve gear noise after the cam and valve spring change.
        The valve lash are set to 0.15 mm.
        Is this noise normal with harder springs and Yoshi cams?
        Last edited by Blower; 06-25-2009, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Being tired to listen the blower howling in highway speeds I think to do something to the dump valve. The dump valve "blows" the supercharger noise right to my face.

After some hours working with the lathe and the bridgeport the bov is modified.
          Now the out blowing is easier to point to the side.

Comment

Why use a dump instead of a bypass? Wouldn't that take the load off the compressor in steady state riding when you don't need boost?

Comment

Originally posted by arcturius View Post
              Why use a dump instead of a bypass? Wouldn't that take the load off the compressor in steady state riding when you don't need boost?
              There are a bypass and a dump, as you can see in pics on page 29.
              The dump is vacuum/spring operated and the bypass is pressure/spring operated.

Comment

Originally posted by Blower View Post
                There are a bypass and a dump, as you can see in pics on page 29.
                The dump is vacuum/spring operated and the bypass is pressure/spring operated.
                Aha...I missed that on the first time through.

Why did you choose to plumb it that way? I would have expected them to be the other way around, so the bypass lets the SC basically freewheel under vacuum(cruise) conditions and the dump protected against overboost.
                A double-acting valve on the bypass would handle both conditions for you, too.

EDIT: Going back through the thread, it looks like you originally had it plumbed the way I suggested? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&postcount=218
                Last edited by Guest; 07-01-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arcturius View Post
                  Aha...I missed that on the first time through.

Why did you choose to plumb it that way? I would have expected them to be the other way around, so the bypass lets the SC basically freewheel under vacuum(cruise) conditions and the dump protected against overboost.
                  A double-acting valve on the bypass would handle both conditions for you, too.

EDIT: Going back through the thread, it looks like you originally had it plumbed the way I suggested? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...&postcount=218
                  There was some difficulties to make engine idle after to close the throttle and also some delay when twisting the throttle, because a volume between the throttle body and the engine was so big.
                  Now it acts like "normal" bike.

Comment

The project is near to be finished. Today I put the lock-up in, rise the boost and change a new brush holding assembly with new brushes to the starter motor.
                    The clutch is better now than before. The boost rises only about 2 psi, but itīs more than before and the engine feels a bit more powerfull.
                    The starter motor is much better than before.
                    Iīm going to take the bike in the dyno soon.

Comment

The riding season is almost over and my bike is still not dynoed.
                      I made a lot of efi tuning and now the bike acts almost like a "normal" GS.
                      The 3000 rpm problem zone is ok now. Reason was too rich air fuel mixture.
                      The LC1 shows the right numbers, but when i leaned the fuel map 10% in that
                      area the "jumping" was away and LC1 still shows the same numbers (14.0)!
                      I rode about 15 miles not rewving ower 3500 rpm and check the spark plugs after that.
                      There was almost no difference in spark plug colors.
                      Now im happy itīs rideability. There can be more power, but is it ever enogh?
                      Maybe i can rise the...

Comment

Haha! You make me laugh!!

Glad to hear that the project is starting to behave more to your liking! Perhaps I missed them, but how about some updated pictures of the entire bike? I still am in awe of the quality of your work. Very nice project, Blower!

Regards,

Comment

so did u ever take a video of this?

Comment

blower has been missing for near a year...

i just read this entire thread...WOW
                            the word awesome comes to mind!

Comment

Old project continues. Last summer I ride mostly with my 1125R Buell and only few miles with GS 1150. Now itīs time to made some modifications. First thing is to replace the vac. operated bypass and bov with throttle controlled bov. I made that throttle controlled bov from old car carburettor and billet aluminium.
                              Itīs a 36mm throttle body, which is open when the main throttle is closed. It closes, when opening the main throttle. So I can get more linear control to the boost.

The bike smokes blue oil smoke when itīs cold. In normal operating temperature it does not smoke.
                              I think it starts when I change the engine oil from Motul mineral oil to Motul synthetic/ester oil.
                              Can it be oil based problem or ...??? Engine is ride only 1500 miles after new pistons.

Then if I have enough time and inspiration, I can made a new fuel tank from aluminium, but weīll see...
                              Last edited by Blower; 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Throttle body/bov is done. It needs some finishing and then testing:

Comment

Working...
                                X